Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont do as I did yesterday. I arrived home with about 20 miles range left. I plugged in and when we went to go out nearly two hours later I was shocked to find only 4 miles range when I had hoped to see it fully charged. I had forgotten to switch off ! In mitigation I things are hectic at the moment with building work going on here with the charge point moved to a temporary spot and daily visits to visits to hospital and that is not allowing for it being Christmas. One bonus is that the car was nice and warm.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another bonus was it was still there! Yikes!
Good point, but fortunately this would have been very unlikely due to the builders working next to the car and on the roof overlooking it. Also we were sitting eating in our kitchen in full view of the drive which is off a private road.
Even so I shall be extra vigilant not to do this again.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Good point, but fortunately this would have been very unlikely due to the builders working next to the car and on the roof overlooking it. Also we were sitting eating in our kitchen in full view of the drive which is off a private road.
Even so I shall be extra vigilant not to do this again.
Done that twice with my Ampera too! Fortunately noticed after a couple of hours, so still had time to top up :)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Changing the topic from Ampera to Leaf for a moment. The Leaf does not allow you to lock the car while switched on it just bleeps at you. This poses a questions. If you leave the car and take the key is a person without key able to drive it away?

·
Registered
465 Posts
You can't do this in the i3 - it turns itself off after a predetermined time and then locks the doors too (unless user disabled) which should all help to preserve your range ;)

Re: taking the key away before driving off. Not possible. You could however, start crawling and chuck the keys to someone and continue to drive on until the next stop-start moment, where you will be suitably stranded without the keys. So beware thieves :)

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
338 Posts
If you get out with the key without switching off, the outlander will beep earnestly, as it does for many things :-| So in your 'what again ?!?!' moment, you are likely to realise your mistake ;-)

·
Registered
339 Posts
For nissan leaf one can drive without key In car. But as soon as you stop and turn it off. Can't turn it back on without key. One can lock the doors with car still running. Posted how to do it in the summer. But in summary involve putting selective locking on and using the manual key to lock door on driver side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts