Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaf 24kwh model.

I’ve used the timed climate control all week whilst the car has been plugged in.

What’s the likely cost or how much power does the remote climate consumer?

Thanks

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,787 Posts
Leaf 24kwh model.

I’ve used the timed climate control all week whilst the car has been plugged in.

What’s the likely cost or how much power does the remote climate consumer?

Thanks
Depending upon the day it can run up to 45 mins. It runs PTC consuming 4kW

So it’s possible that it can consume day 3kWh in 45 mins. My peak tariff of 14.2p so you are looking at 42.6p on a cost frosty morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending upon the day it can run up to 45 mins. It runs PTC consuming 4kW

So it’s possible that it can consume day 3kWh in 45 mins. My peak tariff of 14.2p so you are looking at 42.6p on a cost frosty morning

Thanks for the info.

Trying to work out how I’ve used 275kw this week. The car has only had one big charge from 20-100% and a few small top ups.

Had a weekly bill close to my usual monthly bill!

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
It's rare to see timed climate control running for more than 30 minutes unless its < -4C or so.

I took some measurements on mine - in 0 to 4C winter mornings it uses a little under 1.5kWh for a 30 minute pre-heat, so approx 20p a day depending on your tariff.

Remember also that the onboard charger in most EV's is only around 80-85% efficient, this efficiency affects power used by plugged in pre-heating as well as driving.

I'm afraid your 275kWh has not been used by the car.. ;)

BTW I've never seen the PTC heater go anywhere near 4kW on my car - in fact combined power use of PTC heater and heat pump together rarely goes above 3kW even in the coldest of conditions (I've driven it in temperatures as low as -8C and still not seen it go above 3kW) and drops back to under 2kW as the cabin warms up.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts

BTW I've never seen the PTC heater go anywhere near 4kW on my car - in fact combined power use of PTC heater and heat pump together rarely goes above 3kW even in the coldest of conditions (I've driven it in temperatures as low as -8C and still not seen it go above 3kW) and drops back to under 2kW as the cabin warms up.
Unless @curl666 has a Japanese gen 1 model (2011-13)?
That can easily peak at over 5kW.
Still won't be the 275kWh though.
If you've a smart meter you might be able to see when the energy was used.
Or get a clamp sensor might help assuming it'll happen again.
Aka a "Home Energy Monitor".

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,787 Posts
Home can easily be consume a lot of electricity. During normal times, our Leaf30 manages 500kWh (driving 1500-1700 miles) a month. Better our Leaf, Outlander and Home we managed to use to 1.2MWh a month

My Leaf has 3.3kW charger and I see drop off 2% even when car or connected to mains as it can’t meet the demand.

I believe remote climate (heating) is same as using demister- I have checked that on LeafSpy and that consumes 4kW

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2015 model leaf 24.

I’ve dropped the remote climate control this week and got the charging timer setup for the octopus go tariff. Hopefully next bill reflects this!

Picked some solar panels up, so best get them installed soon.

Thanks for replies 👍🏾

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Unless @curl666 has a Japanese gen 1 model (2011-13)?
That can easily peak at over 5kW.
Still won't be the 275kWh though.
Yes - the earlier water PTC heater in the Gen 1 would probably use a lot more power. My old Peugeot Ion also used a water PTC heater (and heater matrix) for the heater very much like the Gen 1 Leaf and it used 5.5kW during warm up! (which took at least 5 minutes) And even once warmed up typical continuous power usage was around 2.5kW - far more than my Gen 2 Leaf, which peaks at 3kW during warm up and rapidly falls to 0.5 - 1.5kW continuous in winter.

The first thing I'd check with really high and unexpected power use in a house is to see if a portable electric heater has been plugged in somewhere and left running 24/7 - happened to us once and the power use of leaving one running 24/7 for a week was incredible... :oops:

When charging an EV it's also important to keep perspective on power bills - our electricity bill is pretty high and on the face of it looks like it is too high, but when you factor in over 1000 miles a month of driving the Leaf vs how much we would have paid in petrol it is perfectly reasonable.

Charging an EV at home is always a lot cheaper than paying for Diesel and especially Petrol for the same mileage - even before you factor in reduced maintenance, so you should always subtract the power used by the car from your power bill before considering whether the power bill is reasonable for the house as a whole or not.

I have a kWh meter in my Rolec charger so I take a reading on that at the start of each month so I know the exact kWh that has been used to charge the car for the previous month so I can subtract that from my power bill for comparative purposes to see if the power use in the rest of the house is normal or abnormal.

It's amusing to get automated emails from our power retailer saying that our electricity use is "unusually high" - yes, for someone who doesn't drive an EV it would be. :) There's no way on my account to flag the fact that we own an electric car and thus are expected to use more electricity. It messes with their predictions of how much power we will use in winter vs summer as well as they assume a lot of electricity use is seasonal for heating, and while the electricity use of an EV does increase in winter it's only a small percentage of the total electricity used by the car.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,787 Posts
Yes - the earlier water PTC heater in the Gen 1 would probably use a lot more power. My old Peugeot Ion also used a water PTC heater (and heater matrix) for the heater very much like the Gen 1 Leaf and it used 5.5kW during warm up! (which took at least 5 minutes) And even once warmed up typical continuous power usage was around 2.5kW - far more than my Gen 2 Leaf, which peaks at 3kW during warm up and rapidly falls to 0.5 - 1.5kW continuous in winter.

The first thing I'd check with really high and unexpected power use in a house is to see if a portable electric heater has been plugged in somewhere and left running 24/7 - happened to us once and the power use of leaving one running 24/7 for a week was incredible... :oops:

When charging an EV it's also important to keep perspective on power bills - our electricity bill is pretty high and on the face of it looks like it is too high, but when you factor in over 1000 miles a month of driving the Leaf vs how much we would have paid in petrol it is perfectly reasonable.

Charging an EV at home is always a lot cheaper than paying for Diesel and especially Petrol for the same mileage - even before you factor in reduced maintenance, so you should always subtract the power used by the car from your power bill before considering whether the power bill is reasonable for the house as a whole or not.

I have a kWh meter in my Rolec charger so I take a reading on that at the start of each month so I know the exact kWh that has been used to charge the car for the previous month so I can subtract that from my power bill for comparative purposes to see if the power use in the rest of the house is normal or abnormal.

It's amusing to get automated emails from our power retailer saying that our electricity use is "unusually high" - yes, for someone who doesn't drive an EV it would be. :) There's no way on my account to flag the fact that we own an electric car and thus are expected to use more electricity. It messes with their predictions of how much power we will use in winter vs summer as well as they assume a lot of electricity use is seasonal for heating, and while the electricity use of an EV does increase in winter it's only a small percentage of the total electricity used by the car.
Agreed

I have power meter on my Rolec too but we’ve realised that we use 500-550 kWh a month for 1500 to 1800 miles

Still less than 40 in electricity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts