Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried finding other discussions on this subject but couldn't locate anything.

For background info, I purchased a used Nissan Leaf 2014. I paid for the upgrade to be able to use remote climate control ($200 US). I also wound up having to pay to have the heater replaced (~$360 US discounted by Nissan customer service). I have set the remote climate control setting to the maximum temperature to test. Heating works normally when driving the car and has no noticeable issues.

As it is now, I expected to be able to use the remote climate control to make my car warm in the morning. However, even after starting it half an hour prior to starting my trip, I come out to a barely warmer than outdoors car. (This could just be that it doesn't have the crisp breeze outside.) When I come up to the car, the fans are audible so I can tell it is running and when I unplug my car the fans stop. My location isn't that cold right now (About 35 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning) so I don't think it would normally struggle to warm up. The heated steering wheel normally feels warm to the touch so the system seems to be activating at least partially.

Is this to be expected? How quickly does everyone else's car get warm/cool? Could there be something else wrong with this car or something I am missing?

(*edit* Forgot to clarify that I changed the remote climate control setting and not the standard temperature control)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
That's about 2°c outside then.

I'm in the UK and have a LEAF30, so not sure how useful my answer will be, but I'll post it anyway, in the absence of any other replies.

I found that I have to set the Climate Control temperature to at least 21°c (about 70°F) for the remotely-started CC to make any noticeable difference. On the UK spec it only runs for 15 minutes, so getting in after 30 minutes the car will probably be cooler again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you set the target temperature in the settings? It isn't the standard setting you use for driving - there is a separate setting hidden in the menus.
Yes, I have set it to the max. (I will admit it took me a week or so before I stumbled upon a discussion mentioning it and I felt stupid so I then changed it from ~70 Fahrenheit to the maximum setting.) That didn't make a difference.

I am starting to think there is something preventing it from outputting heat when doing remote climate control.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's about 2°c outside then.

I'm in the UK and have a LEAF30, so not sure how useful my answer will be, but I'll post it anyway, in the absence of any other replies.

I found that I have to set the Climate Control temperature to at least 21°c (about 70°F) for the remotely-started CC to make any noticeable difference. On the UK spec it only runs for 15 minutes, so getting in after 30 minutes the car will probably be cooler again.
On the US version, it also only runs for 15 minutes when the car is unplugged. If it is plugged in, it runs for much longer, perhaps indefinitely. (I haven't had it turn off on me yet and I have previously had it run for about an hour so far to test.)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yes, I have set it to the max. (I will admit it took me a week or so before I stumbled upon a discussion mentioning it and I felt stupid so I then changed it from ~70 Fahrenheit to the maximum setting.) That didn't make a difference.

I am starting to think there is something preventing it from outputting heat when doing remote climate control.
I'm sure I have read somewhere that the remote climate control does not use the heat pump, only the resistance part of the heating system. The heat pump works when driving with backup from the resistive heater as required.

How well does the heating work when driving? If you look at the energy screen when you start the car on a cold day you should see an initial 3kW+ spike of power going to the heater for a while until the car warms up a bit and then it throttling back to just use the heat pump.

I'm wondering if the resistance part of your heater has failed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure I have read somewhere that the remote climate control does not use the heat pump, only the resistance part of the heating system. The heat pump works when driving with backup from the resistive heater as required.

How well does the heating work when driving? If you look at the energy screen when you start the car on a cold day you should see an initial 3kW+ spike of power going to the heater for a while until the car warms up a bit and then it throttling back to just use the heat pump.

I'm wondering if the resistance part of your heater has failed.
Man, I totally forgot that there is two heating systems inside there. I wouldn't be surprised if you are right and that the resistant part is having issues. I will have to look at how the energy usage is during driving as you suggest. When I have used the heater, I haven't seen it get over 2kW that I can think of. I generally don't have energy usage showing though, so I will take a look tomorrow morning when it is potentially cool again. When driving the heat seems to come out just fine and the air coming out of the vents normally feels warm after about 1-2 minutes or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have tested over the last few days and have found the following. When starting driving, I was accurate in my memory and energy usage doesn't go above 2kW and it slowly drops down to about 0.5kW when the cabin has warmed up.

I also decided to test remote cooling since the afternoons are warm enough for that. It seems to work without issue. I set the remote climate control setting to 60 Fahrenheit and then stayed in my car and turned the cooling on with my phone. I was staying comfortably cool the entire time I was in there.

So that information is making me think the resistance heater is potentially broken or disconnected for some reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts