Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kona 2020 Premium SE 64kW
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the current UK cold weather (-5C here) I thought I would warm up the car before using it this morning. I know Bluelink usually needs 2 attempts before it triggers the heating I gave it 2 triggers and then left it. Several minutes later I looked out and although Bluelink was reporting the heating was on, the car was still iced up. I tried again but with the same result.

I then thought about the exactly what was going on. Normally with the car sitting on the drive, if I give it 2 triggers it's very reliable at warming up so what was different this morning? Well the obvious thing was that I'd left it plugged in to charge up overnight. I have an Ohme charger and am currently on Octopus go so charging stops at 4:30am. Bluelink was (correctly) reporting the car was connected but not charging. Surely that couldn't affect things but I thought I'd try so I started charging and triggered the remote heating again (twice just to be sure). Lo and behold the heating turned on and the screen cleared.

So it seems the following applies:

Car disconnected and not charging - Remote heating works
Car connected but not charging - Remote heating doesn't work
Car connected and charging - Remote heating works

In each case Bluelink reports the heating is on.

Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
What I have noticed is: The first push to activate air con starts the cabin heating. (The first icon is green) The second push starts the screen defrost. (Both icons are green)
Only noticed this by accident when I refreshed the view in the status screen.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's a thought, however I had heating starting with being plugged in and not charging.
I did have it that charging started when heating started.

Last time it didn't work I cannot remember if it was charging or not. I only know that it was plugged in.

·
Registered
Kona64
2,258 Posts
I’ve not seen the middle condition, I often at say 6pm set the AC max to 70%, set a timer for dep 7:40 plug it in. So it finishes charging before midnight. Preheat works —— Pod-Point solo.
Perhaps your ohme blocks the car taking electricity at the time you want preheat via the cable and that confuses the preheat.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Reviving an old thread, but as it has started to get cold again in the mornings, the behaviour described in the first post seems to apply to my Kona too.

I wonder if there is any way to override the remote climate not working, when the car is plugged in but not charging?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Reviving an old thread, but as it has started to get cold again in the mornings, the behaviour described in the first post seems to apply to my Kona too.

I wonder if there is any way to override the remote climate not working, when the car is plugged in but not charging?
Because my Bluelink is still not working, I set the schedule in the car. I have the charge limit set at 80%, and even if the car isn't charging, the heating still kicks in at the set time. Seems a lot more reliable than the Bluelink remote heating.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Because my Bluelink is still not working, I set the schedule in the car. I have the charge limit set at 80%, and even if the car isn't charging, the heating still kicks in at the set time. Seems a lot more reliable than the Bluelink remote heating.
I don't use the car every day, so I need it to heat up on demand rather than to a schedule.

·
Registered
Kona64
2,258 Posts
It's a bodge, but...

Use the app to start charging
Use the app then to trigger remote pre heat

15mins later get in to the car disconnecting the cable (thus you've only charged unwillingly for 15mins )
Not sure what happens if you remote turn off charging whilst it's preheating but hey --- let us know !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bumping this thread to see if anybody has figured out why the Preheat does not heat when connected to the charger but not actually charging.

I’ve just found out now that the colder weather is here, that my Kona does exactly the same as the first post in this thread with the Bluelink preheating.

The car is connected to my Podpoint home charger which is set to only charge between 20.30 and 00.30 in the Podpoint app due to using Octopus Go Faster.

1. Car disconnected and not charging - Remote heating works
2. Car connected but not charging - Remote heating doesn't work
3. Car connected and charging - Remote heating works

In each case Bluelink reports the heating is on. The heated steering wheel and mirrors works perfectly in all situations, however there is no actual heating of the car in situation 2?

Is anyone else having this happen, or have a fix for it?

·
Registered
Kona64
2,258 Posts
I have seen it recently ----- charge set to charge to end at 90%, it hits this at 1am, at 6am I decide to manually trigger preheat on the app before I venture outside, planning to disconnect the plug when I then unlock the car to get in to it ...
And it's cold inside ...

So I have to go outside, unplug the car, then come back in and stab the app to pre heat .
Luckily it's rare I have left the car plugged in after beddybies times.

·
Registered
Kona 64 Ult.
75 Posts
I’ve not seen the middle condition, I often at say 6pm set the AC max to 70%, set a timer for dep 7:40 plug it in. So it finishes charging before midnight. Preheat works —— Pod-Point solo.
Perhaps your ohme blocks the car taking electricity at the time you want preheat via the cable and that confuses the preheat.
I would say you’re right with that assessment.
I’m using a granny charger atm until my home charger gets fitted this month hopefully (waiting on being un-looped) and mine works fine when plugged in and not charging.
I reckon the software needs another line of code, to make the car revert back to its own battery if it is plugged in but no power is available via the plug.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.