Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it just my imagination or does Nissan appear to be having more issues with their servers lately?

When accessing the car remotely to check the state of charge etc., it frequently reports "socket error", "socket timeout exception error", "no response from server", "no response from car", "gave up" etc.

Is the rise in sales of EVs putting too much pressure on their servers?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Exactly why I use MyLeaf, it seems a lot more stable than the app or website and it just slowly works in the background.
I seriously think nissan have some very poorly designed kit to cope with the demands in winter and hot days in summer.

Would it really kill them to have some elastic resource and take a small hit when demand surges? They'd probably save money when you think of all the time the boxes just sit there barely ticking over...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Surprisingly enough, I've been having fewer problems with it over the last two weeks. I've been using the preheat every morning, even though it's not that cold, just to see how reliable it is under normal circumstances. Not only has it worked every morning, but it also hasn't been very long between sending the request and getting the "on" notification back. No doubt that wont be the case when the mornings get frosty.

Sadly I did have confirmation from Nissan customer support yesterday that they have no clue when an app update for Android 9 is going to be available. What a joke.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I u
Exactly why I use MyLeaf, it seems a lot more stable than the app or website and it just slowly works in the background.
I seriously think nissan have some very poorly designed kit to cope with the demands in winter and hot days in summer.

Would it really kill them to have some elastic resource and take a small hit when demand surges? They'd probably save money when you think of all the time the boxes just sit there barely ticking over...
I use My Leaf too sometimes (usually when Leaf Manager gives up!)

If Nissan are going to be selling more and more EVs they need to make sure that their remote services work 100% of the time!!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If I owned an in-warranty LEAF I would be torturing the supplying dealer & finance company over this issue.

The remote access is an advertised feature and it's trivial to demonstrate the API being unavailable whenever the weather is inclement.

When I had a LEAF I used a shell script which repeatedly called the API in a loop until it got a successful response.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm using MyLeaf because it's the only thing that I can get working. The Nissan app crashes every time I start it and has done for months now. Alas, today MyLeaf could not log in. Tried it this morning, this afternoon and again just now.

Looks like I'll have to turn the heating on manually for a while like I used to with the ICE cars. :LOL:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm using MyLeaf because it's the only thing that I can get working. The Nissan app crashes every time I start it and has done for months now. Alas, today MyLeaf could not log in. Tried it this morning, this afternoon and again just now.

Looks like I'll have to turn the heating on manually for a while like I used to with the ICE cars. :LOL:
I'm still using Nissan Connect 3.0.6, the last version of the app before the style update. It still works just fine, it's only the dumb new app that doesn't work. The new app is only a graphics update anyway so who cares. It's not like they updated anything important or improved the user experience in any way. You can get it from one of the APK mirror sites.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You are a hero! I just downloaded the previous version and it works! Well.... Sort of works.

At the moment, my leaf, leaf manager and Nissan Connect don't seem to be able to log in for me. Anyone else having this problem today?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I haven't been able to log on with MyLeaf or Leaf Manager for the last two days either. I guess the server is down

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
I haven't been able to log on with MyLeaf or Leaf Manager for the last two days either. I guess the server is down

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
That's what I thought. Glad it's not just me... If you know what I mean. :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Prior to buying the Nissan Leaf, I had BMW cars for years and never experienced any remote access issues so it must be Nissan's servers or infrastructure. If we are all getting errors at the same time (whichever App we use to access the service), it does point to a server issue rather than a specific App issue or a mobile coverage issue, surely. Nissan - please fix!

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Nissan's response is its a best endeavours approach as I'm guessing at some point in the next year or two they may flip to a charged model for the service at which point I hope they upgrade the back end setup.
I've only had issue once and that was the first morning of the season we had frost and it just took a few goes to send the pre heat command

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm forever the optimist, so maybe Nissan have decided to upgrade the servers now and that's why we can't log on? :D

Reactions: paulsinger

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nissan's response is its a best endeavours approach as I'm guessing at some point in the next year or two they may flip to a charged model for the service at which point I hope they upgrade the back end setup.
I've only had issue once and that was the first morning of the season we had frost and it just took a few goes to send the pre heat command
Best Endeavours?! That sounds like an excuse NOT to provide any service at all! How can Nissan supply a car where one of the main features (remote access to the state of charge and heating etc.) just doesn't work reliably? Would you accept it if, for example, Sky TV told you that the ability to record TV programmes was provided on a Best Endeavours basis? Probably not.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Because it's just a freebie. The T&C's are like the charging at nissan dealers.
If I paid an annual sub of £10-20 for it then I'd not be happy, but that day is coming I can be sure of it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If we are all getting errors at the same time (whichever App we use to access the service), it does point to a server issue rather than a specific App issue or a mobile coverage issue, surely. Nissan - please fix!
That's the weird thing, it doesn't seem to be everyone all the time. Currently @TheWongs is saying he can't log in, but it's working just fine for me. Similarly some time ago I was having loads of hassle and everyone else was saying there's no problem. Odd. I could understand it if it varied on a country-by-country basis but I believe we're all predominantly UK here.

It seems to me that Nissan outsource all the app development and backend infrastructure. That's why they have no idea when the Android 9 fix will be coming, because it's out of their hands. Of course, if they just paid more then I'm sure their app would get a higher priority in the job list of whichever company is working on it, likewise the amount of server capacity available.

If only they made it so the car could connect to your own WiFi then most of these problems would go away. The vast majority of the time I turn the preheat on or check the charge when the car is sitting at home. That's how the Philips Hue lights work, if you're on the same network all the commands stay local and it only ever goes via Philips over the internet if you're on a different network.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts