Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the (now stickied) thread on that horrendous electrical fire in the garage got me thinking about my own setup.

My garage is detached from the house down the garden. It's wired properly for power (own consumer unit off dedicated 32amp breaker in the house) with 13amp sockets and I'm using a granny cable from them while I figure out best way to upgrade for a proper charging point.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some remote fire alarms and/or other safety kit I should consider in there? A basic smoke alarm and CO2 extinguisher in there is the minimum I'm thinking, but I might not hear the alarm from the house. Are there remote ones that could alarm in the house?

Are there thermal trips I can fit to the sockets or plug to ensure any potential problems are nipped in the bud?

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
Maybe a Google Nest Smoke alarm would work - with Nest Protect?

Also, do unplug the granny regularly and check contacts. I didn't when using one in garage of rental property and bottom of plug melted. Could have been far worse...

If you have 32A to garage then you might be able to fit a 7kW PODPoint with a load clamp on the supply to the garage. It can be setup to automatically reduce charge if anything else is on. There is a slim chance the MCB would trip before it responds, in which case you would downrate to 20A. Mine is set to that due to cable thickness.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,228 Posts
I have a google nest in my garage. It's at the bottom of the garden so a little way from the house but the wireless reaches so it's fine. CO sensor definitely works as I started up the petrol car and set it off as something in the emissions system wasn't working...

If you have a 32 amp cable then I'd think a 16 amp dedicated podpoint would be safer. A constant 7kw is a lot to send down a cable that was probably designed for a couple of 13 amp sockets to be used at once.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
If you have a 32 amp cable then I'd think a 16 amp dedicated podpoint would be safer. A constant 7kw is a lot to send down a cable that was probably designed for a couple of 13 amp sockets to be used at once.
Yes, OP needs electrician or charging company to check cable thickness, distance, etc and advise. It may be that the clamp load limit needs to be set lower, but at least 20A should be viable. Just setting Podpoint to fixed 16A isn't best approach IMO as multiple 13A sockets could potentially draw high current.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts