Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, hoping you can help.

A few weeks ago I noticed a couple of issues where I would get into the car, hit the start button and get the message 'no remote detected', I got it occasionally, but increasingly more often. sometimes I'd take the remote out of my pocket and it would work, other times, a second try would make it work. I replaced the battery, another month or so and I was seeing it again, and yesterday for the first time the car wouldn't turn off,
Swapping to my spare remote would appear to have solved the issue, and after it worked without fault for a few days, I swapped in the suspect (second replacement) battery... and it still works ?
All of the above seems to suggest to me, that it's the original remote somehow becoming faulty, is this a known issue, is there any fix, to reset, reprogram ? anyone had this problem ? .... I'm guessing that the technology is standard Vauxhall Issue and not specific to Ampera ?

any advice, as always, appreciated

Many Thanks

Paul Jones

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I've never had an issue with my remote fobs. Could it be that the new battery installed in the first remote was not quite seated correctly but was seated fine in the spare fob?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ian, I guess thats a possibility, I'll further experiment, the batteries don't seem to particularly snap into place

I'll see how I go :)

cheers

Paul

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
549 Posts
I had an issue with one of my remotes where someone hadn't put the battery in properly and had bent one of the terminals in the remote causing a dud connection. Judicious bending back into place sorted it out. Hope yours is as easy!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I had an issue with one of my remotes where someone hadn't put the battery in properly and had bent one of the terminals in the remote causing a dud connection. Judicious bending back into place sorted it out. Hope yours is as easy!
This - open and clean and reform the contacts. Common fault with all sorts of remote control fobs.

If the car fails to respond - your caught out with the fob misbehaving -- open the top cubby, remove the mat and insert the key part into the hole (its not a lock). this will get the fob seen even without a battery.

·
Registered
634 Posts

A few weeks ago I noticed a couple of issues where I would get into the car, hit the start button and get the message 'no remote detected', I got it occasionally, but increasingly more often. sometimes I'd take the remote out of my pocket and it would work, other times, a second try would make it work. I replaced the battery, another month or so and I was seeing it again, and yesterday for the first time the car wouldn't turn off,
Swapping to my spare remote would appear to have solved the issue, and after it worked without fault for a few days, I swapped in the suspect (second replacement) battery... and it still works ?
All of the above seems to suggest to me, that it's the original remote somehow becoming faulty, is this a known issue, is there any fix, to reset, reprogram ? anyone had this problem ? .... I'm guessing that the technology is standard Vauxhall Issue and not specific to Ampera ?

Many Thanks

Paul Jones
Change the battery, it is simple, search it on youtube. It is the normal common 2032 10p coin type.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Somewhere on the internet ages ago I found a link of how to obtain and programme a new fob for a few pounds instead of whatever Vx would charge. Don't bother - I did it and it didn't work!

·
Registered
246 Posts

Many Thanks

Paul Jones
I hade a case where the car would not turn off, had to disconnect/reconnect 12 volt battery and thatdid the trick GT

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Yesterday I too had the "no remote detected" error. The car would not unlock with either remote (I did change the remote battery just in case). I opened the door with the key and set the alarm off, I put the key in back up hole in the dashboard, still the alarm sounded, no luck.

I decided that it was probably the 12v battery that was low, I opened the bonnet and tested the voltage, it was 11.98v (not great). I connected an external battery via jump leads to the lugs under the bonnet and left it for 5 minutes, this solved the alarm problem.

The key in the dash then worked and the ICE started (as the bonnet was open). After 10 minutes the the battery was holding at 12.2v which is has for a couple of years. The car was now fully functioning with the exception of the detection of the remote. I disconnected the battery and put it on charge - the charger reported that it was fully charged in an hour which concerned me. On connecting the battery up the car was fine except for the remote detection problem. I was thinking it was time to involve Vauxhall.

This is the part that could be most relevant to this post...

For reliability I decided to change the 12v battery - I changed it and the "no key detected problem" went away... All good and fully working now. (the remote door opening was also not working to this point, something to consider in your diagnosis).

It appears that the key detection system is affected before other systems when the 12v battery starts to fail.
The 12v battery may not appear too bad but may not be able to supply the current required to start up all systems successfully.

I fitted a Halfords AGM027 battery, listed as suitable for the Ampera. It is Stop Start and regenerative braking compatible (not sure that that is relevant to Ampera's in reality). It fitted well, the only thing I had to do was take the battery vent plug out and fit it in the other side of the battery so that I could connect the vent pipe.

No guarantee that this will fix your problem but I thought I would share this as it is not an obvious cause.

Good Luck.

Adrain.

·
Registered
Outlander
4,011 Posts
Change the battery, it is simple, search it on youtube. It is the normal common 2032 10p coin type.
And test - a good remote key with good battery would have a long signal range. My guess is that the actual range of a key fob might be anything from 20 metres to 80 metres, but in either case it should be notably long walk from the car.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
The Ampera has two functions for the Key.

Long range, not sure how far but easily 50+metre to unlock/lock / start pre-heat/ open the Charge flap. Flashes the lights so handy in big carparks!

Short range (1m or so ) for the door handles if working! and the keyless start.
The hatch on the dash is to enable the short range function for starting with a flat keyfob battery.

I would think the original battery had very little capacity left and there was not enough juice to enable the contactors to switch it on. For some reason EV's treat lead acid batteries badly and they do not seem to last, for the Amp I think it should be treated as a consumable and swapped out every 3-4 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts