Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this weekend that the legacy type 2 post at Sedgemoor North has now been removed and what looks like groundwork for a 2nd rapid charger replacing it.

It is good that Sedgemoor is getting a 2nd rapid making the type 2 redundant as the 2nd rapid will provide the redundancy.

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
I was thinking about level 2 chargers yesterday. I was on the rapid at woodhall services on the M1. Beside it was a type 2 post with two sockets. It said 3 phase 32A. Surely this would charge a Tesla at the same speed as a rapid?bandy one know if this equates to 22kw's?

Be great to have both so Teslas can charge longer without hogging.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I was thinking about level 2 chargers yesterday. I was on the rapid at woodhall services on the M1. Beside it was a type 2 post with two sockets. It said 3 phase 32A. Surely this would charge a Tesla at the same speed as a rapid?bandy one know if this equates to 22kw's?

Be great to have both so Teslas can charge longer without hogging.
Yes you are correct, the Model S and Zoe (any other car with three phase 32amp charging capabilities) will be able to charge at 22kW as well. It would be great to have these at every site to allow an alternative to RCs in the case that you have a car like the Model S that can only draw 22kW so you do not occupy the Rapid Charger, or for others that are waiting to use the Rapid and want to at least top up a bit before charging. Also gives a great back up charge point in the case that the Rapids fail...
I think their days at all the sites that have them are numbered though as its difficult to justify the extra parking bays and the power requirement is in theory 43kW for those posts as well, so taking up valuable power that could supply a Rapid Charger.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think all Model S had 22kW... isn't the standard 11kW with an option for 22kW (except with the P85 perhaps when it is standard)?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Apologies Paul, you are correct. I should have said that they can charge at their maximum potential of either 11 or 22kW... So my point is still the same that those posts would allow the Model S to charge as fast as it can on the Rapid Charger as it can on the 22kW posts...

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Super Moderator
7,951 Posts
I didn't think all Model S had 22kW... isn't the standard 11kW with an option for 22kW (except with the P85 perhaps when it is standard)?
As far as I know, all cars delivered so far in the UK have twin chargers fitted, either as ordered or as a seemingly free upgrade...!

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I've used the 22kW type 2 chargers a fair bit on the m1. If the rapid is in use, or it won't play nicely with my Zoe, it's a very good second best as I can be 90%+ charged in about 40 mins.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts