Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with this?

I’ve just taken the rear badge off and leaving the side ones because I think they look quite good.

I tried taking the front one off but it seems to be attached with more than just tape.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Back in the 90's naughty children used to pull off VW badges to make into necklaces. I wonder if VW now bolt them down? :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
If it's anything like the GTI & GTE, the front badge is actually a clip on that requires the front grille to be removed. You may be able to snap the clip locations and pull it off by force but you risk damaging the grille in the process

This image is from the 2016 workshop manual so they might of changed this with the 2017+ facelift but I doubt it. Also not that the grille keeps a blanked out section where the badge clips in place so it might not look visually apealing with it off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's anything like the GTI & GTE, the front badge is actually a clip on that requires the front grille to be removed. You may be able to snap the clip locations and pull it off by force but you risk damaging the grille in the process

View attachment 129067

This image is from the 2016 workshop manual so they might of changed this with the 2017+ facelift but I doubt it. Also not that the grille keeps a blanked out section where the badge clips in place so it might not look visually apealing with it off.
Looks like you might be right. I thought the fact it was on a smooth surface and the rest of the badges just being stuck on that would be the case here.

The front badge doesn’t bother me that much to risk damaging anything, probably wouldn’t look very good with a hole there anyway so I’ll just leave it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had to register to tell you : CAUTION!

Where I live(Germany) for doing this you get easily in trouble with your insurance company and/or the fire department should your EV be involved in a car-fire. An EV has to be recognizable by the model description on the vehicle. Please check the law in your country and/or the insurance policies.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like you might be right. I thought the fact it was on a smooth surface and the rest of the badges just being stuck on that would be the case here.

The front badge doesn’t bother me that much to risk damaging anything, probably wouldn’t look very good with a hole there anyway so I’ll just leave it.
There is definitely a hole underneath - I've just bought an egolf to fix up and unfortunately the badge has been broken off the front!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to register to tell you : CAUTION!

Where I live(Germany) for doing this you get easily in trouble with your insurance company and/or the fire department should your EV be involved in a car-fire. An EV has to be recognizable by the model description on the vehicle. Please check the law in your country and/or the insurance policies.
Sorry I didn’t see your reply. Thanks for your concern but I don’t believe (I may be wrong but can’t find info anywhere) we have the same rules here. I’d imagine one of the clues they’d use is the registration number which will give information on the car and that’s something I cannot remove.

That being said, I can’t take off the front one and I like the side ones so there are still badges there.

Thanks again though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is definitely a hole underneath - I've just bought an egolf to fix up and unfortunately the badge has been broken off the front!
Not to worry, I don’t mind it, just thought it would make the front end look a bit cleaner.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry I didn’t see your reply. Thanks for your concern but I don’t believe (I may be wrong but can’t find info anywhere) we have the same rules here. I’d imagine one of the clues they’d use is the registration number which will give information on the car and that’s something I cannot remove.

That being said, I can’t take off the front one and I like the side ones so there are still badges there.

Thanks again though.
I think you're correct - Audi, BMW, Mercedes allow you to (or used to) order a car with no engine/trim badge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts