Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per title, is it possible to remove the smart functionality from a pod point solo? First port of call would be to remove it from my wifi router (although it doesn't show up on the list) but I'd prefer a more permanent solution.

Anyone any ideas?

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,441 Posts
what smart functionality does it support ? If you open it up, there maybe a module with sim chip inside

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,885 Posts
Exactly. Without access to WiFi there's no data transfer.

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
337 Posts
Presumably if you change your router password Pod-Point will no longer have access to it. That's the easiest way I can think of.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Presumably if you change your router password Pod-Point will no longer have access to it. That's the easiest way I can think of.
I think once the pod point is not able to access the internet via your WiFi router, it will then be visible to any smartphone or computer nearby as a WiFi connection with "Podpoint" as the SSID.
Once connected, the user can connect to your Podpoint using 192.168.1.1. Here they can then connect your Podpoint to another WiFi router. Though I'm not sure what benefit it will bring to the that person or what risk it poses to your Podpoint.

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
337 Posts
AFAIK the App only shows charging information, and a random person sniffing for accessible Pod-Points (is there anyone really that sad!) can't remotely take control of the charge point, so I wouldn't worry at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently the smart functionality allows them to adjust the charging level as well as the obvious harvesting of data.

I could (and will if no better solution) just disconnect it from the wifi but as has been pointed out that potentially leaves it open to something else connecting up to it. I realise its overthinking of stuff but I just prefer to be in full control of my vehicle charger.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Have just had a look inside a Pod-point Solo. The wifi aerial seems to be a small PCB floating around, and it plugs into the main PCB with a minuscule clip-on plug, near where the mains cable come in. If you unplug that, there's a chance it may lose any ability to connect using wifi. Worth a shot? SImply lift that tiny plug, very carefully, vertically away from the main PCB, as if it was a tiny 13A plug.

Reactions: Jamesno1

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
If you disconnect the Solo to your WiFi then no smart features will work, period. I can't see the point in invalidating your 3 year warranty and opening up the unit. Yes, it is feasible (but unlikely) someone would connect to the open Podpoint access point, but it provides no real hacker value. The only configuration feature is to reconnect it and they wouldn't know your WIFI password.

Incidentally, I suspect the terms of the OLEV grant specify it needs to be connected. Did you check that before you signed it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HandyAndy that's very helpful thank you. I'll try that and report back

Proddick I have to be honest and say I've no idea if I've signed something to say I'll keep it connected to wifi... I'll take my chances though

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have just had a look inside a Pod-point Solo. The wifi aerial seems to be a small PCB floating around, and it plugs into the main PCB with a minuscule clip-on plug, near where the mains cable come in. If you unplug that, there's a chance it may lose any ability to connect using wifi. Worth a shot? SImply lift that tiny plug, very carefully, vertically away from the main PCB, as if it was a tiny 13A plug.
Worked a charm! Happy days

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
Reactions: Hermit Dave

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Ah I see... the Podpoint Smart charger is only smart for their interests, not yours... So of absolutely no real use to the end-user whatsoever plus you have to pay a ton of cash for the privilege 😆

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
Ah I see... the Podpoint Smart charger is only smart for their interests, not yours... So of absolutely no real use to the end-user whatsoever plus you have to pay a ton of cash for the privilege 😆
It is disappointing that Podpoint haven't included any scheduling, but there is talk of it being added. Ideally they would work to support ev.energy app so it can work on demand tariffs like Octopus Go and Agile.

Of course, load monitoring and control is helpful to consumers if it keeps the lights on while infrastructure upgrades are planned and implemented. The objective should be to use "monitoring" extensively to plan upgrades and use "control" sparingly, with perhaps OLEV and OFGEN setting a joint policy.

People connecting 7kW non-smart charging points (or disabling it) isn't very neighbourly and will probably will be made unlawful at some point.

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,885 Posts
It is disappointing that Podpoint haven't included any scheduling, but there is talk of it being added.
There's been talk of it for 3 years with no sign of delivery. Given their purchase by EDF expect no increase in functionality whilst the accountants sweat the asset to justify their purchase which was for different objectives.
People connecting 7kW non-smart charging points (or disabling it) isn't very neighbourly and will probably will be made unlawful at some point.
Really? I agree in principle, but up to now it's allowed and not a requirement to maintain beyond 3 years. What's different between my EV charge point (essential for my commute) and next doors electric storage heaters in their poorly insulated house? Who has more right to consume electricity at the time of our choice?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts