Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Mk8 GTE I occasionally find it necessary to unplug the charging cable before it’s fully charged. I find it is a pain the the arse, requiring the following procedure :-
Get in car. Turn on ‘ignition’. Find e-Manager in infotainment screen. Tap ‘Stop charging’. Turn off ignition. Get out of car. Lock it. Then unlock it. Remove socket.
What a bloody pain. There must be a quicker and more logical way to do this.
Advice welcome.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The mark 8 may be different, but on a mark 7.5 with keyfob you just need to unlock the car.

When the car is charging the green light next to the charge point pulses. When you unlock the car it stops charging, the green light goes off and the car releases the charge plug for about 10 seconds. If you don't unplug in time it will lock the plug and start charging again. If it does you just have to press the unlock button again to release it again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The mark 8 may be different, but on a mark 7.5 with keyfob you just need to unlock the car.

When the car is charging the green light next to the charge point pulses. When you unlock the car it stops charging, the green light goes off and the car releases the charge plug for about 10 seconds. If you don't unplug in time it will lock the plug and start charging again. If it does you just have to press the unlock button again to release it again.
And the same for my Passat GTE.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Same for Mk7. Arguably it's annoying that it unlocks on key fob. I'd prefer it to only unlock the charge port if you e.g. double pressed the unlock button, because sometimes you want to pop out to the car to get something without interrupting the charging process.

·
Registered
64 Posts
there would also be an "emergency procedure" somewhere to disconnect if the cable in the car was frozen, does anyone know how this works and what to do?

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
The MK8 GTE instruction manual doesn't fill me with confidence...
Product Rectangle Font Circle Number

There isn't an equivalent section in the manual for my 70 plate Passat GTE, but this is the closest I can find:
Organism Rectangle Font Circle Pattern

Looks like VW might have been fixing something that wasn't broken here.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
It smells a bit of the Mk7.5 deleting the interior alarm disable button - a friend of mine owns a Mk7.5 GTE and always complains that he has to go into the touchscreen to disable the interior alarm whenever he leaves the car with his partner or dog in it (in cold weather of course), whereas on my Mk7 it's a simple physical button just besides the driver's seat. It's a cost optimisation, but it makes some jobs so much harder!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There appears two ways to to remove cable socket during charging.
1. The long winded way I described.
2. Unlock with key fob, remove socket within 10 seconds. Easy-peasy.
Begs the question. Why is there a stop charging ‘button’ on the infotainment screen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts