Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had success in removing the black shiny door panels?

I’ve applied a vinyl wrap to the centre console, and have had a go at removing the door panels with some trim removal tools, but I stopped before wanting to get the hammer out of my toolbox - those things are firmly attached!

The centre console now looks like this, complete with the slim charging pad I popped into the phone slot in the absence of wireless charging (yep, 1st edition!)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Anyone had success in removing the black shiny door panels?

I’ve applied a vinyl wrap to the centre console, and have had a go at removing the door panels with some trim removal tools, but I stopped before wanting to get the hammer out of my toolbox - those things are firmly attached!

The centre console now looks like this, complete with the slim charging pad I popped into the phone slot in the absence of wireless charging (yep, 1st edition!)

View attachment 141091
Cool idea! I'm not sure if I'd bother doing the centre console personally because I don't touch it enough to get fingerprints on it, but the gloss black door trim bit on the driver's side looks revolting already... wiping fingerprints off that will be a constant battle I think!

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool idea! I'm not sure if I'd bother doing the centre console personally because I don't touch it enough to get fingerprints on it, but the gloss black door trim bit on the driver's side looks revolting already... wiping fingerprints off that will be a constant battle I think!
I managed to get one of the door panels off, shame the window switch came apart into pieces as part of the process of getting the trim off 🤦‍♂️

It should be straightforward reassembling the switch, and at least I’ve learned by getting the first panel off how to do the other ones 😂

I get your point about the centre console, but it shows every spec of dust as well as fingerprints.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
Mine has some fine scratches on already. I haven't cleaned it much but the gloss black in the Niro didn't mark at all so I assumed this would be the same so haven't tried to be ultra careful with it.
I think I'll end up wrapping mine as well at some point, to protect it from scratches as much as anything.

Maybe you can share the trick to remove the panels on the doors, without the switch falling apart!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Tricks to remove the passenger side A pillar and quarter panel trims to enable me to hide dash camera wiring to the fusebox would be appreciated too!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,647 Posts
Tricks to remove the passenger side A pillar and quarter panel trims to enable me to hide dash camera wiring to the fusebox would be appreciated too!
I just pushed my dash cam wiring into the edge of the A pillar trim to hide it with a plastic push bike tyre lever, no need to remove the trim. I then fed it down from the bottom of the A pillar in the edge of the rubber door seal.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks. Did you take it to the fuse box through/under the airbag switch panel (which seems a little flappy!) or from underneath?

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
Thanks. Did you take it to the fuse box through/under the airbag switch panel (which seems a little flappy!) or from underneath?
My install is a bit more ‘ghetto’ than that!

I just used the existing USB cable and terminated it with an L shaped USB to USB-C adaptor, from the bottom of the a pillar, I hid the cable between sill plate cover and carpet, underneath the floor matt and passenger seat, then to one of the rear USB-C sockets.

There’s only usually me in the car, but the daughter hasn’t managed to kick the rear plug yet, although I’ll probably get around to hardwiring it sometime once it’s been in for its software update etc. It’s neater than it looks in the picture!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks again. I've got the Nextbase hardwire kit from when the camera was installed in the Golf we part-exed. Installation in that was somewhat easier! I'm in two minds about installing prior to the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1. I don't want any 'complications' should issues arise...

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
Thanks again. I've got the Nextbase hardwire kit from when the camera was installed in the Golf we part-exed. Installation in that was somewhat easier! I'm in two minds about installing prior to the upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1. I don't want any 'complications' should issues arise...
That’s my thinking as well, I don’t want them to have an excuse for any problems they might encounter, not that it should be. Mine is more that if the car isn’t sorted by the 2.1 update, then I’ll likely be rejecting it, and I don’t want to go to the trouble of wiring it in just yet.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK, so here's what you're up against if you do want to remove the door panels:

Get a tool into the rear end of the panel to release those catches, then work your way along the bottom while levering up towards the top edge to release the larger clips in the centre section, once you've released those large clips in the central area the whole panel should come away.

Be careful not to pull too hard towards the end of the process or you'll potentially create a problem where the cable plugs into the window switch. when I did the first one yesterday I ended up pulling the bottom off the window switch and had to reassemble the pieces inside it!

·
Registered
ID.3 Business
8 Posts
@Tooks on what grounds would you reject the car? Is it that easy to do, how long have you had it, is there a window of opportunity to do so? I'm curious!

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
@Tooks on what grounds would you reject the car? Is it that easy to do, how long have you had it, is there a window of opportunity to do so? I'm curious!
If they don’t sort the software, then the car isn’t fit for purpose, and it will be easy to prove the fault existed at manufacture, as VW have said so.

It’s easier to reject a car in the first 6 months of ownership, after that the onus shifts to me having to prove that the fault existed. I’ve had mine for 3 months, and it’s hasn’t been as much trouble as others have been, and nor has it broken down as such, but for now I’m doing what VW are asking and waiting patiently to be called in for the update.

I’ve done over 6000 miles, and will of course expect to pay for the use I’ve had out of the car if I do end up rejecting it, but I’m sure it won’t come to that and everything will be sorted post update.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts