Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how easy it is to drop the battery out?

We need to to remove it, (or at least lower it if the cable conections are long enough) to allow for fitting seats to the rear.

I assume there is a main fuse somewhere, and then it just unbolts and can be disconnected.

Are there any issues with re connecting the battery later, like when you replace the starter battery in a car and lose the radio codes?

This must be a fairly routine procedure for Nissan mechanics - I wish there was a Haynes manual available!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think I've seen other posts on here somewhere that seats can be fitted without dropping the battery, looking at mine the battery is forward enough to be able to put bolts & fit strengthening plates without moving main battery...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Agree, the battery should be enough forward to get the seats in without the battery removal. It was in my case anyway.

I think I've seen other posts on here somewhere that seats can be fitted without dropping the battery, looking at mine the battery is forward enough to be able to put bolts & fit strengthening plates without moving main battery...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have no knowledge of whether you need to do this for your task, but the guide as to how to is published by Nissan - First responders guide - in the linked case for the 2018 model but the others are available also. The guide gives you an idea of where the battery is relative to the doors and hence structure, so you can infer whether it is where you are drilling.

In answer to your question, you will not lose any settings by disconnecting either or both your 12v and traction battery, but if you do the latter wrong you'll lose your life. Observe the H&S about the insulated shoes and gloves, and follow the procedures to the letter. Also reduce the risk by not starting with the vehicle fully charged.

The traction battery features a removable link that splits it into two slightly less dangerous batteries. You need to remove the splashguards underneath the vehicle and it bolts on (8 off 18mm bolts - only five smaller ones are needed to hold the rotors onto a large helicopter) and can be dropped and wheeled away (it weighs nearly 300 kg so take care) after a couple of large power plugs and the CAN are disconnected. You'll need the space to hold the vehicle at a sensible height and something strong to hold the battery - proper garages use a vehicle lift and an additional scissor lift for the battery. It can be done with less formal equipment but you increase the risk at every stage.

In true Haynes fashion, assembly is the reverse of the procedure!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can confirm that when I fitted my rear seat ( qualified campervan fitter ) that you don’t need to remove the battery . The seat in question were renault espace seats with rails and isofix.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can confirm that when I fitted my rear seat ( qualified campervan fitter ) that you don’t need to remove the battery . The seat in question were renault espace seats with rails and isofix.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Dan
Out of interest, in what position did you fit your rear seats? Where the middle row is in the factory vehicles or behind that?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry I don’t have a better picture. Because there on rails and removable you have a few options for fixing locations . There is an amount of squeezing through chassis bars though and careful measuring to make sure you don’t drill into a box section. The picture shown is with behind drivers removed. These have intergral belts too which is a huge benefit as fitting belts is a right faff

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That looks awesome. Thank you, and as you say the integrated belts and their removable nature is a real benefit.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I have no knowledge of whether you need to do this for your task, but the guide as to how to is published by Nissan - First responders guide - in the linked case for the 2018 model but the others are available also. The guide gives you an idea of where the battery is relative to the doors and hence structure, so you can infer whether it is where you are drilling.

In answer to your question, you will not lose any settings by disconnecting either or both your 12v and traction battery, but if you do the latter wrong you'll lose your life. Observe the H&S about the insulated shoes and gloves, and follow the procedures to the letter. Also reduce the risk by not starting with the vehicle fully charged.

The traction battery features a removable link that splits it into two slightly less dangerous batteries. You need to remove the splashguards underneath the vehicle and it bolts on (8 off 18mm bolts - only five smaller ones are needed to hold the rotors onto a large helicopter) and can be dropped and wheeled away (it weighs nearly 300 kg so take care) after a couple of large power plugs and the CAN are disconnected. You'll need the space to hold the vehicle at a sensible height and something strong to hold the battery - proper garages use a vehicle lift and an additional scissor lift for the battery. It can be done with less formal equipment but you increase the risk at every stage.

In true Haynes fashion, assembly is the reverse of the procedure!
The Env-200 battery also has refrigerant pipes leading to the cooler. This presumably makes removal harder than with a LEAF.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all. Sorry for the delay in replying. For some reason I am having real issues logging into this website on anything other than my tablet, and even then only occasionally. I keep getting told to answer a captcha, but none is displayed. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

We will be fitting the seats further forward than Nisan do - the seats are for children and occasionally adults so don't need massive leg room. As such strengthening plates for the front of the seat fixings will likely be over the rear half of the battery.

This van is tiny compared to the Vito vans we have used up till now, so We need to keep every inch as useable as possible.

We'll see how it goes, but if it comes to it I'm experienced working with high voltage DC (solar) so not to concerned by the safety aspect. I was more concerned with needing to 'reset'the van after reconnecting.

Sounds like That Won't be an issue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Some info here on how to remove env200 battery. Cooling lines will need to be disconnected, it's recommended to pull the mains fuse which is under a service panel in the rear floor of the van:

Will be problem putting the same battery back in since it's the battery the vehicle will be expecting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts