Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, whist dancing around getting the dealer to change the battery on my Zoe, they gave me this feedback on some service documentation.

I would be interested to know what the safety factor actually is, because I charge it every day/night via the "granny lead". And actually, I figure trickle charging the battery every night will be less stressful of the cells than any form of rapid or fast charge (we have 22kw at work).

UPDATE: Sorry, meant to circle the item. But it was their concern about using the "Emergency Charger"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
OK, as a Leaf driver I'd guess:
- manufacturers don't like people charging from a 13 amp socket as they regard it possible that you'll plug into an old dirty socket and the plug/socket will overheat. If the socket is good quality and clean, then it should be fine. Make sure that plug is removed from the socket frequently to 'wipe' the contacts. Ditto with their phobia about using extension leads, which is also fine (subject to the quality of the extension etc).
- the long time to charge at the end is most probably cell balancing (going round making sure that each cell is charged to its maximum). Whilst not necessary every time, it does need doing occasionally.
- the range seems improved by an occasional rapid charge

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Low expected range and that length of cell balancing are all indicating your Zoe would benefit from having the BMS updated.
Fast and rapid charging are not detrimental to Zoe's pack quite the opposite.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, as a Leaf driver I'd guess:
- manufacturers don't like people charging from a 13 amp socket as they regard it possible that you'll plug into an old dirty socket and the plug/socket will overheat. If the socket is good quality and clean, then it should be fine. Make sure that plug is removed from the socket frequently to 'wipe' the contacts. Ditto with their phobia about using extension leads, which is also fine (subject to the quality of the extension etc).
- the long time to charge at the end is most probably cell balancing (going round making sure that each cell is charged to its maximum). Whilst not necessary every time, it does need doing occasionally.
- the range seems improved by an occasional rapid charge
Yeah, I had the update and a new battery pack (after another 500 miles and an inability to rapid charge at all), also a new 12v battery and we are golden now.

Interesting what you say about the rapids helping, because, up to this point the slow charges seem to yield the best result. But I will certainly try a few rapids to see what difference it makes.

Just seemed an odd observation, without knowing what I do and how I do it.

Answer: A brand new install of a wether proof 13a socket at work, from one phase of the building supply. Wired for 32a, but terminated at a 13a socket with individual breaker.

I remove the charger every night when I leave so corrosion shouldn't be an issue.

Anyhow, you've helped in that i'm not missing some serious issue by using it, other than general electrical safety considerations.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,277 Posts
Trickle charge is the worst you can do for the ZOE battery. Just charge it at work. It will have a longer life. Counter intuitive I know.

If you have long balancing (99% forever), you need the LBC update. Various threads about it.

·
4,277 Posts
Caveat: all chemistries are different, and some will debate it / have debated it with passion, which is fine.

During charging, voltage is at the highest. There is serious research out there stating that one of the main factors influencing battery life negatively it's high voltage and the time it is applied. Slow charging implies a long time on a raised voltage level.

Indeed I posted the material here a while back, but I am afraid a bit too lazy to look for it again. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Cant find the video where I saw it but the research from said video reckoned rapid charging discouraged build up of dendrites which can reduce capacity in cells IIRC.

·
Premium Member
10,197 Posts
Charging a Zoe at 10A is also more expensive. It isn't very efficient at that level, especially the Q models.

If you do want to charge at home get a 7kW charger. The grants won't last for ever and a lot of competition means prices are competitive (despite what done conspiracy theorists will claim). Also, in just a few years it will be a "must have" when people are buying a house ;)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
That's the one (y) long video but some gems of info in there

·
Registered
14 Posts
I currently have a 22w kWh Zoe, live in a rented flat (with a back yard thankfully) and don’t have access to a 3.5 or 7.5 kW home charger. I’ve got a OpenEVSE hooked up to a 13 A plug which I occasionally use to balance the cells after charging using the local Lidl rapid!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is entirely fascinating. And as was previously said, it goes against what I would have thought. I will start to use the 22kw at work instead. It's a shame as the 13a is free to use. And I have a public right of way across the front of my house so can't charge it there. But there are several 22kw chargers around my local town so I may well start to make a point about using them. The cost is irrelevant in many ways, a bit more range would be far more convenient.

Would you say, in your considered opinions, that I would do well to introduce a rapid charge (22/43kw) one in every 10, or more frequent than that?

My car has a real issue with GeniePoint 43kw chargers atm, it just freaks out and refuses to charge, but polar is fine.

·
4,277 Posts
To be completely honest, I would personally not worry too much. I do have a driveway, but I can't go above 16A single phase and after 5 years and over 50k miles, it's still fine. So not optimal here either. Just use the 22 kW when it pleases you, especially if it's a rented battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts