Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Again, this is about future predicted residuals, not current. It’s based on third party estimates, not Renault’s own.
agrees but how do they predict the future with such a small sample data set.

this isn’t even a standard scenario in the second handcar selling world

it’s a massive blip in the figures and not representative of the norm nor the future

JJ

·
Registered
140 Posts
So all those articles from a year or so ago that slated Zoes for suffering terrible depreciation were just a load of complete tosh?

* is shocked *
I bought my Zoe in October last year for £4,300. The asking price for a 15 plate on Autotrader ranges from £7,000 to £8,500 now. Stories of depreciation from last year were probably true at the time.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,965 Posts
I bought my Zoe in October last year for £4,300. The asking price for a 15 plate on Autotrader ranges from £7,000 to £8,500 now. Stories of depreciation from last year were probably true at the time.

Autotrader prices are largely dealer prices, you'll not get that in a private sale. :/

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Still sounds like weak justification for removing the cheaper option to get into the EV market

if the Renault statisticians are looking at the last year to set a higher GFV then they are gonna be in the same situation as the owners were 12 months ago saying “hey my GFV value is higher than I can buy one on auto trader” so fought with Renault to change the terms of their deal. Funnily Renault didn’t roll over much and are now selling them for more than the GFV was so well done Renault

JJ

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Still sounds like weak justification for removing the cheaper option to get into the EV market

if the Renault statisticians are looking at the last year to set a higher GFV then they are gonna be in the same situation as the owners were 12 months ago saying “hey my GFV value is higher than I can buy one on auto trader” so fought with Renault to change the terms of their deal. Funnily Renault didn’t roll over much and are now selling them for more than the GFV was so well done Renault

JJ
Renault don’t set their own residual prices. It comes from Parkers and people like that.

·
Premium Member
10,192 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
No, because it’s determined by RCI. :)
RCI are Renault

we are talking loan to value risk assessment

this is then balanced against monthly affordability

set your GFV at £1 and your monthly is too high and renault get less repeat business because everyone pays the £1 and sells outside the brand

set your GFV at £10,000 and your monthly is low but Renault endup with cars that have depreciated at a greater rate than the owner has paid so the asset is in negative equity

so if Renault sets a GFV based on risk assessments around a short period trend analysis then they could be in negative equity and owners will be moaning again that their final payment is more than the cost of a second hand one on AT.

JJ

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
RCI are Renault

we are talking loan to value risk assessment

this is then balanced against monthly affordability

set your GFV at £1 and your monthly is too high and renault get less repeat business because everyone pays the £1 and sells outside the brand

set your GFV at £10,000 and your monthly is low but Renault endup with cars that have depreciated at a greater rate than the owner has paid so the asset is in negative equity

so if Renault sets a GFV based on risk assessments around a short period trend analysis then they could be in negative equity and owners will be moaning again that their final payment is more than the cost of a second hand one on AT.

JJ
RCI are regulated by financial authorities and are a separate legal entity, hence they have to remain impartial.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Yes but they are the organisation who make or lose money from selling a car through the financing route, who own all the financial risk, who own the car at the end and have to appease shareholders?

yes a “Renault” dealer (many are franchises) makes money from the sale but they do not hold the risk
JJ

·
Registered
17 Posts
I suspect RCI uses CAP-HPI and base GFV on their predicted value

Yep, they base the residuals on CAP/Glasses predictions.

We sold a used ZOE in August 2018 for £5495, the guy who bought it rang us yesterday asking if we would buy it back from him as he is moving to the US, we can sell that same car today for £7995.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
My point was that if they (whoever - but ultimately Renault make the call surely) bases residuals on current residuals then the data set is too small to be representative and could see owners trip themselves up

just need to beware

sounds to me they are making the GFV high to drop the monthly payments to compensate for lack of battery leased option

JJ

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
sounds to me they are making the GFV high to drop the monthly payments to compensate for lack of battery leased option
It’s the other way around - high GFV means there’s no point in offering a battery lease version.

Note that this is not the case on the continent.

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Of what?

If it's worth less then you just hand the car back. If you want to keep the car, it's in black and white how much you need to pay to keep it.
I was also told that Renault are currently offering 0% on refinancing of the balloon payment. Not sure if this was a local offer or not.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Of what?

If it's worth less then you just hand the car back. If you want to keep the car, it's in black and white how much you need to pay to keep it.
i was talking about Renault needing to beware as per my previous post about them losing money

and yeah @cah197 that’s the spin on it if you take away the fact that renault need to warranty a battery forever (if they don’t allow owners to buy out the lease)

imagine selling a product and saying you will support it with a warranty even though you know no one will be making it in 2years time ;)

big risk to the company :)

JJ

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
i was talking about Renault needing to beware as per my previous post about them losing money

and yeah @cah197 that’s the spin on it if you take away the fact that renault need to warranty a battery forever (if they don’t allow owners to buy out the lease)

imagine selling a product and saying you will support it with a warranty even though you know no one will be making it in 2years time ;)

big risk to the company :)

JJ
Not sure what you’re talking about.

What is this battery that’s warrantied forever?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts