Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to purchase my first EV. Spotted a Renault Fluence EV for sale but worried about the obvious battery longevity question.

So scanned around this form, but have not yet found some of the answers to my questions;
  1. I'll enquire about the current range and SOH and have listed some more purchase questions below. Should I check for anything else?
  2. Can I only purchase this car if I take out a new 3 year battery lease / take over the existing lease?
  3. If no mandatory battery lease is required are there any forum members here that can recondition the battery pack (or swap out the existing pack for a reconditioned pack) when range becomes too low? Will make contact with HEVRA members/Indra also. Feel free to pm me.
Other purchase questions:
  • Service history?
  • Number of owners?
  • MOT expiry?
  • Tire condition?
  • Number of keys?
  • Battery State of Health (>75%)?
  • Range in summer/winter (70+ miles)?
  • Battery lease obligation and cost for 6,000 miles p.a. (£77 p.m.?)
  • Any damage?
  • Fully working?
  • 16A type1 >type2 and 13A EVSE charging cables present?
  • Tire inflation kit present?
  • Toolkit present?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
There is next to no support or spares for the Fluuence so my advice would be to stay away.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx. Prefer the larger saloon shape. Only need a short daily 15 minute drive to the office. The car is being sold for a low price with low mileage.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,599 Posts
As Mike says, worry the most about support and spares. It's a fantastic car and will give you 100 miles in summer without stress ... so long as you have a 100% SOH battery (which you won't).

I wouldn't get one, and I am one of the Fluence's biggest ever fans. It is a shame Renault dropped it rather than upgrade and support it.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,599 Posts
AFAIK; It was only available in Denmark and Israel. Fluence for other markets had a different arrangement for holding in the battery pack which was not amenable to battery swapping.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmm i
As Mike says, worry the most about support and spares. It's a fantastic car and will give you 100 miles in summer without stress ... so long as you have a 100% SOH battery (which you won't).

I wouldn't get one, and I am one of the Fluence's biggest ever fans. It is a shame Renault dropped it rather than upgrade and support it.
never got more than 60 ln summer.
3.20kw/m
Do need a scan to see my soh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, Just joined to chime in on this thread.. so you might need to grab a coffee for this post :)

I bought a Fluence last year for a commuter only car as the range is dire at around 45 miles but the round-trip to work is 40 miles and I have chargers at work!

The car is fantastic, nice ride, smooth and quiet but this car is a little special because a) It was the Autocar Fluence which was the first in the UK, and b) It has no battery lease. My battery SOH is 75% according to the Fluence app.

In December last year I was stationary waiting for a car to turn right in front of me. Looking in the mirror I could see a car approaching at speed from behind - he hasn't seen me! Brace, and wallop. Car was recovered to a body shop for a new bumper and I had to wait for two weeks for one to arrive from France (even though there were two on ebay..). I had a diesel hire car and the hire company rang me up to collect the car but I hadn't heard from the repair shop so I rang to confirm. I was then informed that the car had a flat battery (12v not traction pack), but they "had to boost charge it with a high current charger". Needless to say they fried something, so the car ended up going back to Renault main dealer where it stayed for 2 months (at £40 a day for the hire car). They had extreme issues trying to find the fault which was a lack of signal on the CanBus network. Fortunately they had another Fluence there (with no battery pack) so could substitute parts to aid diagnosis. The insurance company was about to bail me out and offer me a Leaf with the value of £6k which would have been a great deal for me. Sadly (!) the Master Tech found the fault on the last day and they returned the car to me without cost or warning lights (BCI, Danger Electrical Failure etc as also seen on my two Zoe's previously). The technician found a connector near the battery which had corroded, and the wallop from behind must have caused a high resistance joint, prevent data from the BMS management back to the control modules in the car.

So the facebook Fluence page is quite useful, but most of the Fluence owners like the car and wish to upgrade the battery pack. I think this should be fairly straight forward given that it uses Leaf gen 1 battery cell packs.

There is a guy that is selling and reconditioning battery packs, you can find that thread here:

With the Zoe Chameleon charger, and a 40kw pack, these cars can be epic runarounds. I am patiently waiting for the UK price confirmation of the T Model 3 Performance which will ultimately replace this car, but they do get under your skin even with the abysmal range.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
we offer upgrades on the leaf. should be possible to put a 30 or 40kwh pack in the fluence.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Mike,

Can you PM a ball park figure for both the 30 and 40 KW packs? As I have stated, as I own the battery I have no concerns about taking it apart. I would also like to upgrade the charger to the Zoe Chameleon if that is possible as I have 22KW posts at work.. I put them in. I am sure that if you pioneered this conversion you would have plenty of customers from the Fleuence FB forums.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we offer upgrades on the leaf. should be possible to put a 30 or 40kwh pack in the fluence.
I heeded your earlier advice to stay away and I did buy the Fluence and am very happy with it. Only range is about 50 miles, so not great.

I've read about the new 36kWh packs in Korea, so should be an option without too much modifying.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1113996_renault-samsung-sm3-ze-electric-sedan-battery-upgrade-gives-130-mile-range-in-korean-tests

Please message me to let me know what is needed to upgrade to 30kW or 40kW?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts