Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Available in Europe since the 16th January 2014, a new lower mileage battery hire option was made available that has now come to the UK too. With a restriction of 3,000 miles per year the new battery rental price will be £45 per month. Although this may at first still sound fairly steep for only a casual user, the maths does work out quite nicely in the electric cars favour."

http://www.autovolt-magazine.com/2014/01/renault-introduce-low-mileage-battery-rental-for-zoe/

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're doing 3k a year, do you need a car at all?
Good question... one of my employees lives on the somerset levels and works from home, rarely needing a car. However, once or twice a month she wishes to travel beyond cycling range and has the choice of two buses a week or a 17 mile hike to the nearest train station.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Good question... one of my employees lives on the somerset levels and works from home, rarely needing a car. However, once or twice a month she wishes to travel beyond cycling range and has the choice of two buses a week or a 17 mile hike to the nearest train station.
Then you should really buy her some company transport.

;)

·
Banned
558 Posts
You can see Renault's logic, if you read into the article"
"If you consider an average vehicle you might already own, running on petrol and doing only 250 miles per month, not forgetting the likely Vehicle Excise Duty of around £150 for the year on top of fuel costs, the total monthly spend will be somewhere in the region of £50. The same mileage criteria in the Renault ZOE with electricity tarrifs combined will likely cost a similar amount per month...".
So the logic is - save the money, on not buying petrol and give it all to Renault!
The trick with the Mitsu? (or a Leaf) is that you keep all the economies and, sooner or later, you get back the entire purchase price. Though I confesses if you only do 3,000 per year - that might take a long time!

Reactions: Matt Beard

·
Registered
i8, e2008, i3, eNV200
235 Posts
With a battery lease only business model, I think that Renault will always struggle to gain any significant market share with EVs.

·
Banned
558 Posts
With a battery lease only business model, I think that Renault will always struggle to gain any significant market share with EVs.
Yes, but for every battery lease they do sell - there is that lovely monthly drip feed of money for ever. And the bonus - they get the car back with low mileage and get the battery to recycle or re-use.
As long as production and sales are in balance its a winner - for Renault!
Is it possible they are deliberately make a 'package' that does not compete head to head with their Alliance partner's Leaf?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts