Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a bit annoyed that R-Link cannot offer a map newer than 18 months old on my 18 month old ZE40.
I assume even a newly delivered Zoe can only get V1011 which is June 2018.
Don't buy the 12 month or 36 month update service on R-Link for mega-bucks as there are none available, which seems very wrong.
Get a Western Europe map V1011 for £25 if you need to update to June 2018.
Or am I missing something ? (apart from a map update)

As ZE50 has an Easy-Link system, I expect Renault have little reason to update R-Link maps unless they get a bit of bad PR.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I think many people use waze and don't bother with the manufacturer's shonky out of date and over priced maps. I have the Western Europe map I bought last year but it's missing loads. It's junk.

I can see why tesla use google maps!

Tom Tom traffic still doesn't work. That was £100 down the drain and rlink support still haven't done anything to sort it as it's been broken for months. Whole connected car thing is nonsense when updated maps are still so stupidly out of date and bought functionality doesn't work.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried Android Auto and Waze, but I do prefer TomTom for the speed limit warnings ( which may be out of date ) and no farting about plugging phones in.
I find TomTom traffic OK, and £25 for Western Europe I'm also OK with.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
£25 is ok for a map but it's still too out of date.

Newer headunits are supposed to be able to do android auto and Apple car stuff wirelessly but I don't known whether it hits battery life on the phone significantly.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The Western Europe map on the R-Link store says it is Version 1011.9026 Date of update: 4/5/19

So only 7 months out of date :-(

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
V1011 is June 2018, for some reason R-Link shows May 2019 as the update, this may be when they reloaded it on R-Link, but the map is June 2018, as TomTom website will confirm.

·
Registered
452 Posts
V1011 is June 2018, for some reason R-Link shows May 2019 as the update, this may be when they reloaded it on R-Link, but the map is June 2018, as TomTom website will confirm.
Ah, yes, sorry, just looked at the TomTom site.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Live traffic works well on our 2019 R110 but the maps have not been updated for new roads opened in the last 24 months, seems a bit stupid but I use the Tom Tom sat nav a lot and it works ok. Quite impressed that it knows where mobile traffic cameras are, guess they have to register their location or something? Spooky when it beeps a warning and you spot the mobile camera on a motorway bridge, fortunately with the limited range I never take it over 65mph very often 😅

·
Registered
208 Posts
Live traffic works well on our 2019 R110 but the maps have not been updated for new roads opened in the last 24 months, seems a bit stupid but I use the Tom Tom sat nav a lot and it works ok. Quite impressed that it knows where mobile traffic cameras are, guess they have to register their location or something? Spooky when it beeps a warning and you spot the mobile camera on a motorway bridge, fortunately with the limited range I never take it over 65mph very often 😅
Rooster, do you have map sharing turned on? I wonder if that explains it knowing about the mobile cameras?

·
Premium Member
10,192 Posts
I can see why tesla use google maps!
Actually, they don't for navigation. The Google map view is only used to set coordinates of destination. Navigation uses downloaded maps and in house navigation engine. It is said they use Mapbox but I can't find any official statement.

Back to thread, I agree it is annoying how old Zoe maps are. I bought latest European, but still not exactly up to date. I also tend to use AA and Waze but my OH isn't keen and prefers to use TomTom when driving Zoe. Thankfully it hasn't been too big a problem - yet.

·
Premium Member
10,192 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Rooster, do you have map sharing turned on? I wonder if that explains it knowing about the mobile cameras?
Not sure, it is just as it came from DSG, unless they set it up. It does Live traffic and is very good at predicting jams, ignore at your peril, although be careful when it re-routes you as it can go on a magic roundabout tour :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts