Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Renault threatening to switch off my electric vehicle.

I have bought my Renault Zoe car completely outright (not on hire purchase or lease) and they are threatening to remotely switch off my vehicle.

Can they do this?

Has anyone had the same issue?

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
Welcome and sorry to hear that.

The bulk (>80%) of Zoe sold have a battery lease that you must pay monthly, irrespective of how you bought the car.

Answering the questions below will make it easier for us to help you -
  • What year and model is your Zoe?
  • Did you buy new or used?
  • If used, did you buy private or from a dealer?

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
If the car is a battery hire model and you've not signed an agreement then yes they can. You need to make sure you purchased an "i" model, if not you'll be liable for battery hire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome and sorry to hear that.

The bulk (>80%) of Zoe sold have a battery lease that you must pay monthly, irrespective of how you bought the car.

Answering the questions below will make it easier for us to help you -
  • What year and model is your Zoe?
  • Did you buy new or used?
  • If used, did you buy private or from a dealer?
It’s a 63 plate and I’d already had it on lease for nearly 5 years. I bought it from a dealer.

My main question is; why do I have to still pay for a battery lease with a mileage cap when I’ve spent £20k+ on the car already?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the car is a battery hire model and you've not signed an agreement then yes they can. You need to make sure you purchased an "i" model, if not you'll be liable for battery hire.
I had it on lease for nearly 5 years, then bought it outright. What do you mean by an “I” model?

·
Registered
923 Posts
You have a battery lease car, so the battery belongs to Renault and has done since new. You have never owned the battery, and until now your lease payments have included a monthly payment for the battery lease to Renault. Just because you have now bought the car, minus the battery, does not give you the right to be able to use it, unless you continue to pay the battery lease to Renault.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
You'll have paperwork, from when you first got the car, in fact you'll have 2 sets of paperwork because the max battery hire term is 3 years. This paperwork tells you all about your contract with Renault relating to the battery hire. It will also clearly point out "you will never own the battery".

If you've paid £20k over the last 5 years you didn't get a very good deal.

Its a pain that there is no option to buy out the hire agreement, but there you are....

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,482 Posts
You can't buy out a Zoe battery lease car completely. If the dealer suggested you could then they have misled you rather significantly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Renault threatening to switch off my electric vehicle.

I have bought my Renault Zoe car completely outright (not on hire purchase or lease) and they are threatening to remotely switch off my vehicle.

Can they do this?

Has anyone had the same issue?
Assuming you purchased from new from garage I would speak to dealer asap.

Technically they can do it.

They have a contact number on website RCI Connect.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Im not sure how you bought it from a dealer if you already had been leasing it for 5 years.
At the end of the lease you would normally settle any outstanding amounts directly with RCI finance.
Was it a PCP?

I suspect you have not completely understood the contracts you have entered into (and i do not mean to be condescending there).

Do you have your paperwork to hand? Hopefully we can give you some guidance as to the best way forward and if you might have some come back on them.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
I had a 4 year 12000 mile £25 a month hire agreement finished in may new hire 3000 a year £24.98p
Indeed, the fact remains though the OP would have been on their 2nd agreement if they've had the car 5 years. So presumably they took out only 1 year or they cancelled the DD payment. Either way they don't own the battery. They can get the battery value written down to zero if they wait for RCI to take them to court and then settle the value of the battery, downside is it may harm your credit rating and technically you still don't own the battery to use (RCI could still disable it).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It’s a 63 plate and I’d already had it on lease for nearly 5 years. I bought it from a dealer.

My main question is; why do I have to still pay for a battery lease with a mileage cap when I’ve spent £20k+ on the car already?
Took a while, but you have finally seen the light. However because you are 5 years late you will have to either pay the lease (which you already know you must do) or face the wrath of RCI.

Perhaps if you find a way to remove the onboard sim, you might delay them, but in the end they will either clamp your car and remove the battery - or - they will take you to court and get the money/battery/car to pay for it all. They will always side with the finance company.

Good luck..... (and I really mean that).

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
You can't buy out a Zoe battery lease car completely. If the dealer suggested you could then they have misled you rather significantly.
That is a good point. If misled, the OP probably has a good reason to return the car and get their money back. However, I assume they paid the GFV which might have been low, so might not be the best plan?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
That is a good point. If misled, the OP probably has a good reason to return the car and get their money back. However, I assume they paid the GFV which might have been low, so might not be the best plan?
If he had not had the car for 5 years already I would agree. I just find it hard to imagine he did not know what he was leasing.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
If he had not had the car for 5 years already I would agree. I just find it hard to imagine he did not know what he was leasing.
Must have signed 2 battery agreements if its 5 years?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts