Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Renault threatening to switch off my electric vehicle.

I have bought my Renault Zoe car completely outright (not on hire purchase or lease) and they are threatening to remotely switch off my vehicle.

Can they do this?

Has anyone had the same issue?
I believe they can. I bought a 66 reg Zoe last year and paid cash, and have paid £89 per month since then for a 36 month battery hire agreement. However, after speaking to RCI Finance yesterday, who I pay the £89 to, they said that when I get to the end of my 36 month battery hire agreement, I can either pay to own the battery outright; which she valued at £3750 as of yesterday, or carry on paying £89 per month by starting a new 12 month battery hire agreement. This has the advantage of the battery being replaced if it‘s state of charge drops below 75%, as paying £3750 to own the battery saves paying £89 a month, but has the added risk of having no battery warranty etc, and a completely new battery is above £6000 I believe!
Another issue I have, is that to officially have the battery checked to see what charge it is currently holding, I have to take it to a Renault dealer to be checked officially. Fair enough, if it IS below 75%, they’ll replace it, that‘s what the £89 is partly for, BUT if it is above 75%, they happily ask me for £150-£200 for them to have checked it! A slight way round this is that I got a local Kwik Fit to do a quick check on it to assess the condition, I did this last year, and their print-out said ‘Good’, it still seems to holds it charge OK, but I might get it checked by Kwik Fit at the end of the year, and if it looks to be in a lot worse condition, I’ll risk taking it to Renault, but not my local dealer in Portsmouth, as they’re pretty arrogant jobsworths, and get them to check it, and hopefully it will be below 75% and they’ll replace it with a new one! I can but hope!

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Another issue I have, is that to officially have the battery checked to see what charge it is currently holding, I have to take it to a Renault dealer to be checked officially. Fair enough, if it IS below 75%, they’ll replace it, that‘s what the £89 is partly for, BUT if it is above 75%, they happily ask me for £150-£200 for them to have checked it! A slight way round this is that I got a local Kwik Fit to do a quick check on it to assess the condition, I did this last year, and their print-out said ‘Good’, it still seems to holds it charge OK, but I might get it checked by Kwik Fit at the end of the year, and if it looks to be in a lot worse condition, I’ll risk taking it to Renault, but not my local dealer in Portsmouth, as they’re pretty arrogant jobsworths, and get them to check it, and hopefully it will be below 75% and they’ll replace it with a new one! I can but hope!
You can get a dongle for around £15 and check it yourself to your hearts content. (Although I'm sure you know this because you were asking about it).

I'd be amazed if a 66 plate Zoe battery is at 75% SOH anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
This has the advantage of the battery being replaced if it‘s state of charge drops below 75%, as paying £3750 to own the battery saves paying £89 a month, but has the added risk of having no battery warranty etc, and a completely new battery is above £6000 I believe!
You do get a warranty. It reverts to the same 8yr/100k miles warranty you would get on a battery owned ZE40 model.
This warranty only replaces the battery if it falls below 66% SoH.

On a 66 model, this would mean you battery is under warranty until late 2024 (or until 100k miles, which ever is sooner).

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I got a local Kwik Fit to do a quick check on it to assess the condition, I did this last year, and their print-out said ‘Good’
As ever, what does 'Good' mean? Renault would say 76% was good if it got them out of a warranty claim. :rolleyes:
Either stump up and buy CanZE or pay Renault to test it, or just stop worrying.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You do get a warranty. It reverts to the same 8yr/100k miles warranty you would get on a battery owned ZE40 model.
This warranty only replaces the battery if it falls below 66% SoH.

On a 66 model, this would mean you battery is under warranty until late 2024 (or until 100k miles, which ever is sooner).
You can get a dongle for around £15 and check it yourself to your hearts content. (Although I'm sure you know this because you were asking about it).

Yes, I bought a dongle and used Canze, and it said 87.2%, I presume that’s OK for a 66 reg Zoe?

·
Registered
132 Posts

Is using Canze and a dongle quite reliabl to the battery’s SOHC?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Yes, I bought a dongle and used Canze, and it said 87.2%, I presume that’s OK for a 66 reg Zoe?
It's low, but well within the warranty. If it gets close to 75% then Renault will adjust the BMS to show a higher figure and send you on your way.
If you've lost 13% in approx 4 years it is likely to be above the 65% that the 8 year guarantee on owned batteries gives you, but alternatively if you carry on renting you will pay a lot more on the lease. Heads Renault win, tails you lose. :unsure:

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
When’s the last time it was fully charged and left to balance the cells? This might make a difference.

The usable charge seems good though.

I’m not sure how accurate the SOH is, as this may be an estimate (others on here may know more)

·
Registered
132 Posts
When’s the last time it was fully charged and left to balance the cells? This might make a difference.

The usable charge seems good though.

I’m not sure how accurate the SOH is, as this may be an estimate (others on here may know more)
It was last charged on 14th May. Forgive my lack of technical knowledge, but what does ‘balance the cells‘ mean? I’ll charge it tonight on the 3.3kw charger at home.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
It was last charged on 14th May. Forgive my lack of technical knowledge, but what does ‘balance the cells‘ mean? I’ll charge it tonight on the 3.3kw charger at home.
It means leaving it for a while at 100% until the car shuts off the charge. How do you normally charge it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
For the last few weeks, only at home, and only using our Octopus Energy 5p per kwh tariff between 12.30-4.30am. It doesn’t often get to 100% in those 4 hours, as my home charger is only 3kw, but I can set the timer on the car to charge past 4.30am to whenever it reaches 100%. Shall I try that, then check it with CanZe?

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
For the last few weeks, only at home, and only using our Octopus Energy 5p per kwh tariff between 12.30-4.30am. It doesn’t often get to 100% in those 4 hours, as my home charger is only 3kw, but I can set the timer on the car to charge past 4.30am to whenever it reaches 100%. Shall I try that, then check it with CanZe?
Try it - it can’t hurt.

@yoh-there is one of the creators of CanZE and would know more about the reliability of the SOH reading.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts