Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

Last year I drove Zoe to Croatia. On the first night of the journey, I was left stranded at a nonworking charging point in France with an empty battery. At the time, I called Renault ZE recovery in the UK who said they can’t help me as my car is not covered in Europe.

I know this was not true and Renault ZE recovery subsequently apologised and agreed that Zoe is covered throughout Europe for 36 months. They said that they will put processes in place so that this doesn’t happen again.

So this year I intend to drive to Prague. I just called up Renault ZE Recovery to make sure they would be able to help me in case of a breakdown in Europe. The operator said, and I quote “personally I wouldn’t drive to Europe in an electric vehicle anyway but if you must go yes it says here that you are covered for recovery to a garage”.

So what can I deduce from that? Yes I am covered but Renault ZE Recovery doesn’t trust their own electric vehicles?! I know the person on the phone doesn’t actually work for Renault but for an outsourced breakdown assistance firm, but even so…

Reactions: cDy

·
Registered
17,363 Posts
Well, I had a few close shaves in the Zoe in Europe, but as long as you have a Plan A, B, C and D in place you shouldn't go too far wrong...

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,083 Posts
I'd tend to agree with them, even as someone who has experience of driving EVs for years and made the occasional trip across into Europe. Other than a Tesla with their supercharger network I wouldn't really like to drive outside of my home country with an EV because charging can quickly become a nightmare. Lots of other charging networks to sign up to, the need for far more careful planning, and if you don't speak the language very well you're going to have some fun trying to communicate with them on their helpline if something goes wrong.

Especially in a 22 or 40kWh model you're working with less range which means charging more, and when do you need to charge those cars can be super picky with if it's going to charge there or throw up a BCI error at the most inconvenient time.

Oh, and Renault's recovery leaves a lot to be desired in the UK. Their customer service sucks, and they seem to outsource the work to the lowest bidder. The levels of incompetence I have seen are frankly shocking, and if I wouldn't trust them here, I would hate to trust them in a country I'm not familiar with and also have a language barrier to contend with.

·
Registered
17,363 Posts
Remember if you breakdown on a French Autoroute then you have to use their breakdown service. You can’t use your own (or Renault’s).

Of course the only car I’ve run out of juice in in Europe is the Tesla. Zoe has always been fine. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
What date was your car registered OP and is it an "i" or battery lease?

edit
Just looked at your bio and it states you have an "i", you aren't covered anywhere for loss of charge in the battery, you are only covered for loss of charge with the lease option and European cover for anything is only on cars ordered prior to end of Jan 2018.

They likely became confused with the registration date of your car as to whether you were covered or not in Europe generally, but battery charge loss you aren't covered if it is an "i"; UK or Europe.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You mentioned the operator said they wouldn't drive to Europe in an EV. They didn't specifically say what type and make. I've watched numerous videos of people running out of juice in other EVs but none in Zoes! Maybe they're documented more?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,447 Posts
I friend of mine stranded himself in Norway a couple of years ago, called Dutch Renault and was (after a "you are WHERE exactly??"), and was promptly flatbedded to a charger. The person on the phone was obviously being an a**; Renault have actually organised this pretty good. A quick glance on several charger maps (chargemap, plugsurfing) tells you exactly where the real density of chargers is. Let's say the UK is not the densest spot on the map, so it's pretty weird where the girl/guy got that from. As for subscriptions: if I'd say "nonsense" I'd go over the top, but with for instance a Plugsurfing keyring you might not have the cheapest service, but it sure is extremely well roamed between operators.

TLDR: bollocks

Enjoy the single currency King Ming ;)

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What date was your car registered OP and is it an "i" or battery lease?

edit
Just looked at your bio and it states you have an "i", you aren't covered anywhere for loss of charge in the battery, you are only covered for loss of charge with the lease option and European cover for anything is only on cars ordered prior to end of Jan 2018.

They likely became confused with the registration date of your car as to whether you were covered or not in Europe generally, but battery charge loss you aren't covered if it is an "i"; UK or Europe.
hmmm, there’s something going on here.

My car was registered in Nov 2018. At the time, it came with 36 months EU-wide ZE assistance / breakdown cover.

I know this, because I checked on the Renault site before I left for Croatia last summer. I also called ZE assistance before I left, they told me I’m covered. Then I needed assistance in France, in August 2019, and ZE assistance didn’t know how to help. After a complaint and a direction to their website, they apologised, agreed I had cover, and emailed me an expenses form for me to claim my expenses due to them having not assisted me.

Today, I’ve done a quick search online and I can find only this:

This says I’m NOT covered in Europe. Could Renault have moved the goalposts? Can’t be, surely.

I’ve scoured my emails - I have the expenses from ZE Assistance, I have the emails between Jeroen (@yoh-there ) and me at the time, when I was telling him about the French breakdown issue etc, but I DON’T have a screenshot of the Renault webpage showing that I have EU cover. Damn.

·
Registered
138 Posts
OK, you don't have European cover, it was dropped from Jan 2018 (actually cars ordered prior to that and registered after Jan 2018 will still have European cover but I doubt you ordered yours prior to Jan 31st 2018 but picked it up November 2018) and as you have an "i" ZOE you won't have assistance anywhere (UK or Europe even before Jan 2018), for having a flat battery.

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, you don't have European cover, it was dropped from Jan 2018 (actually cars ordered prior to that and registered after Jan 2018 will still have European cover but I doubt you ordered yours prior to Jan 31st 2018 but picked it up November 2018) and as you have an "i" ZOE you won't have assistance anywhere (UK or Europe even before Jan 2018), for having a flat battery.
You are correct that the terms as they are now state that my car, registered in Nov 2018, doesn't have European cover - but this is a change to the original terms - I'm scouring to find evidence of this, because I know it did say that European cover is included for my car - I remember reading very clearly and Renault / ZE assistance agreed (hence the claims form).

They haven't changed the terms about the "i" variant though - there's no exclusion - even in the current (amended) Ts and Cs:

"All Vehicles are entitled to 36 months Renault Z.E. Assistance cover commencing from the date the Vehicle is first registered (or the duration of the Traction Battery Lease Agreement, where applicable)."

·
Registered
138 Posts
What is not included?
Non-Warranty Incidents
While RENAULT Z.E. ASSISTANCE aims to provide you with peace of mind motoring, it only provides assistance for manufacturer based or mechanical
faults on the Vehicle. It does not provide assistance for certain non-warranty incidents such as (but not limited to):
• The normal loss of energy from the vehicle battery is not covered as part of the Renault Z.E. warranty but is covered under the terms of the RCI Battery Lease which was taken out at the time of vehicle purchase (excludes Zoe and Kangoo Z.E. ‘i’ Range of vehicles)

There you go, "i" ZOE is not covered if the battery runs out, it never has been and still isn't; 4th paragraph down on the first page.

You were very lucky.

·
4,447 Posts
^ To be fair, the mate story was him having a leased battery. The website is such a maze I cannot even find the Dutch current T&C's, let alone the ones from the past, so I rest my feeble case.

Anyway, if you break down near me, you know how to find me ;-)

·
Registered
138 Posts
^ To be fair, the mate story was him having a leased battery. The website is such a maze I cannot even find the Dutch current T&C's, let alone the ones from the past, so I rest my feeble case.

His bio states an "i"

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@King Ming what date of Zoe info are you after? It's worth looking on the way back machine Internet Archive: Wayback Machine to see what version was there when you ordered. If you're lucky they might have archived a copy of the actual document.

I know I have a couple of versions as well.
I’ve been on there, mate. It’s bizarre. I should’ve taken a screenshot but then I wasn’t expecting Renault to change the terms like this. Totally, totally weird.

Anyway, not the end of the world as I also have European breakdown cover with Nationwide Flex plus bank account so it’s all good.

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks man. ;)

Reactions: yoh-there

·
4,447 Posts
His bio states an "i"
His, as in my mate, was a leased one :) But I appreciate the misunderstanding.

Thanks for digging up the UK stuff. As said, it's a bit messy this end of the pond now. It used to be pretty easy to get to the (timelined) T&C's on the website, but hey ho, progress ;-) At least it has raised my personal awareness to never ever throw away documents like this until the car is sold on / disposed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
OP?
What is not included?
Non-Warranty Incidents
While RENAULT Z.E. ASSISTANCE aims to provide you with peace of mind motoring, it only provides assistance for manufacturer based or mechanical
faults on the Vehicle. It does not provide assistance for certain non-warranty incidents such as (but not limited to):
• The normal loss of energy from the vehicle battery is not covered as part of the Renault Z.E. warranty but is covered under the terms of the RCI Battery Lease which was taken out at the time of vehicle purchase (excludes Zoe and Kangoo Z.E. ‘i’ Range of vehicles)

There you go, "i" ZOE is not covered if the battery runs out, it never has been and still isn't; 4th paragraph down on the first page.

You were very lucky.
OP?

·
Registered
3 Posts
To me this is confusing.

Is it correct to say then that if cover for an emergency tyre issue, such as a puncture, or low battery is required then it will need an entirely new breakdown policy with a third party provider as ZE Assistance excludes this?

Is it then right to say that a separate policy will likely cover everything and not the above two issues only making it a) more expensive than it needs to be, and b) making the ZE Assistance worthless as the recovery for everything is covered under the separate policy anyway along with tyre and battery issues?

Is there any way of adding low battery and tyre cover to ZE Assistance?

·
Registered
310 Posts
To me this is confusing.

Is it correct to say then that if cover for an emergency tyre issue, such as a puncture, or low battery is required then it will need an entirely new breakdown policy with a third party provider as ZE Assistance excludes this?

Is it then right to say that a separate policy will likely cover everything and not the above two issues only making it a) more expensive than it needs to be, and b) making the ZE Assistance worthless as the recovery for everything is covered under the separate policy anyway along with tyre and battery issues?

Is there any way of adding low battery and tyre cover to ZE Assistance?
Empty battery and tyre cover is included on all cars that have a leased battery irrespective of registered date, but not on battery owned registered after January 2018. It is not just EV breakdown though. Renault haven't covered tyres on any vehicle since January 2018.

So, the answers to the three questions are Yes, Yes and No.

It's excluding tyres that I particularly feel is wrong, but I guess that now more cars don't have a spare wheel it has caused a lot of hassle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts