Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who think, the Renault Zoe is only a city car, can see here our 1,200 km long distance trip from Balingen in Germany to Prague in Czech Republic and back.
It was quite adventurous, because on the way two charging stations are not working and 0% state of charge.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,352 Posts
For those who think, the Renault Zoe is only a city car, can see here our 1,200 km long distance trip from Balingen in Germany to Prague in Czech Republic and back.
It was quite adventurous, because on the way two charging stations are not working and 0% state of charge.

22kWh or 41kWh model?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you saved 20 mins each charging session? :p
I don't know how much I saved....
As much as possible I only like to use the quick charging with more than 30 kW DC. That's roughly up to 75% soc.
Better more charging brakes than very long for fully charge the battery.
The Zoe R90 can only charge max. 22 kW AC and that doesn't mean it's charging with 22 kW DC from 0% to 100%.
What I can see, usually the 22 kW AC charger have only about 20.5 kW max AC output power and sometimes less than 20 kW AC.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,352 Posts
Good trip, maybe not epic though. Its only about 7 stops to charge is it not? 745miles. I did 500 in a 22kWh Zoe 5 years ago, 10 charging stops. 3 back to back broken, that felt epic having to stop ever 70miles. All under 24 hours too..... Don't think I'd do a trip like that again though, not in a hurry.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,352 Posts
I did London to Barcelona in a ZOE once. In an R90...
Thats a bit more epic, nearly 1000 miles. Did you do it in 2 days?

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Thats a bit more epic, nearly 1000 miles. Did you do it in 2 days?
Let’s see. Got the late train on a Friday. Two nights in France.

Probably the best part of three days.

The worst part was getting charged by the minute on French rapid chargers. :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great video Alex, good to see how well the battery performs at such (relatively) high temperatures in winter! Also highlights the benefits of the Q90 despite what the naysayers may say!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't know how much I saved....
As much as possible I only like to use the quick charging with more than 30 kW DC. That's roughly up to 75% soc.
Better more charging brakes than very long for fully charge the battery.
The Zoe R90 can only charge max. 22 kW AC and that doesn't mean it's charging with 22 kW DC from 0% to 100%.
What I can see, usually the 22 kW AC charger have only about 20.5 kW max AC output power and sometimes less than 20 kW AC.
Well done, great video. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Weird that the car kept saying 1hr 50 charging time at 20% SOC. That’s kind of what mine says. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Weird that the car kept saying 1hr 50 charging time at 20% SOC. That’s kind of what mine says. :)
This has been debated to death many times before and the result is always the same - If you only ever charge to 100% on Rapids then yes both models are similar.

However, realistically I only charge what I need while on rapids, whilst on a longer journey with a warm battery... and that is rarely a full charge.

If the R90 works well for your use case that's great, but the Q90 is the superior motor for my use case. At least the ZE50 should put all these comparisons to bed with CCS!

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,379 Posts
If the R90 works well for your use case that's great, but the Q90 is the superior motor for my use case. At least the ZE50 should put all these comparisons to bed with CCS!
Phah!!! You should know better! Queue the "But the ZE50 will only take x kW, even less when not completely empty, unlike <an EV that is either not on the market or twice as expensive>" in 3....., 2...... :eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Phah!!! You should know better! Queue the "But the ZE50 will only take x kW, even less when not completely empty, unlike <an EV that is either not on the market or twice as expensive>" in 3....., 2...... :eek:
😁 But the ZE50 will only take 40kW, even less when not completely empty, unlike the Tesla cyber truck :p

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
This has been debated to death many times before and the result is always the same - If you only ever charge to 100% on Rapids then yes both models are similar.

However, realistically I only charge what I need while on rapids, whilst on a longer journey with a warm battery... and that is rarely a full charge.

This is a thread about charging on a long road trip. From experience you generally need to charge to high SOCs on these trips.

Otherwise you are just spending your time diverting to chargers and hence losing any benefit of faster charging.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rapid Q model charging speed is only in the lower SOC. So I better charge often with low SOC, than charging always to 100%.
Charging to 100% is only a good option, if you don't need to wait and the car is standing around.
I am pretty sure you can't have much shorter charging stopps with a ZE50.
Usually below 50% SOC, the Q model charging power is around 38 kW. Rough calculation, with 50% SOC it will go below 30 kW and with 80% SOC it will go below 20 kW.
In this long distance trip it doesn't matter if it's winter or not, because we are driving fast on the Autobahn, so the battery gets warm. It's only if the battery is cold, the charging power is very low and it takes ages... ;-)
In my daily routine, I am driving every day about 70 km Autobahn with average 120 km/h (75 mph). So when I reach the 43 kW AC charging station, the battery is always warm to have full charging power, even if it's cold with -10°C outside ;-)
I am really excited, how fast the Zoe ZE50 will charge. But I think it's not a big gainb. Because when I see other cars charging at the 50 kW CCS, the power calculated over time, is seldom more than 40 kW.

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Just for fun I worked out that the theoretical time saved charging say 10%-50% at 38kW vs 20 kW on a Zoe 40 is just under 23 minutes. So as long as your diversion time is less than this, then you're winning. :)

I fear that due to the higher pack density the ZE50 will be ever diminishing returns on charging speed. If real world charging time for 10%-80% is less than 50 minutes I'll be pleased.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Here's Bjorn testing the charging speed (speeded up):

You won't like it! 55 minutes for 10% - 80%. Quickest rate is 45 kW.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,352 Posts
If real world charging time for 10%-80% is less than 50 minutes I'll be pleased.
Renault I believe quote 1hr 10mns on CCS from 20%-80%. Slow, average 34kW over a charge. Somewhat disappointing i'm sure you'll agree.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts