Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
8,156 Posts
Nice... It's ZE50 is quite faster. Way better BMS.
On the Q90 model, it throttles the power much more early.
I think you may have misinterpreted what was said. The new ZE50 with CCS charges slower from 20-80% than the older Q model.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I think you may have misinterpreted what was said. The new ZE50 with CCS charges slower from 20-80% than the older Q model.
20-80% for the Q90 is 40mins, which at 41kWh is an additional ~25kWh, so ~38kW/hour on average.
20-80% for the R135 is 50mins, which at 52kWh is an additional ~31kWh, so ~38kW/hour on average.

Both are roughly equal. Makes sense as there is only 7kW difference....

·
Zoe Devotee
8,156 Posts
20-80% for the Q90 is 40mins, which at 41kWh is an additional ~25kWh, so ~38kW/hour on average.
20-80% for the R135 is 50mins, which at 52kWh is an additional ~31kWh, so ~38kW/hour on average.

Both are roughly equal. Makes sense as there is only 7kW difference....

"3. Rapid. These charge points are placed at key locations such as motorway services and have a 50kW capacity. They are ideal for long journeys and will charge your New ZOE with Z.E. 50 battery from 0-80% in 1h 10, or if you are only making a brief stop, just 30 minutes charging will get you an extra 90 miles of range. "

Seems I had misquoted by saying 20-80% in 1hr 10mins. But seems odd it takes 20mins to add 10kWh (0-20%). That's down at 30kW charging, a hell of a slow for CCS rated at 50kW. You should be expecting max bang for your buck at low SOC not slow. I've often pulled up to a rapid showing 0% on my 22kWh Zoe and if the pack is hot (which it invariably is if I've arrived at a rapid on 0%) the car pulls no less than 38kW.

Sorry I can't help comparing with ZS EV, but it'll add 0-80% in 40mins adding 35kWh and Zoe will add 40kWh 0-80% but it takes 1hr 10mins. MG is a fairly budget car compared to Zoe, especially on price.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Sorry I can't help comparing with ZS EV, but it'll add 0-80% in 40mins adding 35kWh and Zoe will add 40kWh 0-80% but it takes 1hr 10mins. MG is a fairly budget car compared to Zoe, especially on price.
You shouldn't - you should compare it with the ZE40. Battery owned can be picked up for £18k. :)

·
Zoe Devotee
8,156 Posts
You shouldn't - you should compare it with the ZE40. Battery owned can be picked up for £18k. :)
Why would I compare a new car with a second hand one?

·
Zoe Devotee
8,156 Posts
I know this won't stifle the discussion, but here's real data from FastNed (taken from the Dutch forum, user Mastah)
Its a bit depressing isn't it. Hard to take that 8 years after it first hit market, and quite a few revisions and a big jump in capacity that the new Zoe isn't really any faster at charging than the 2012 model. 😕

If the BMS on the new Zoe is so much superior why does it drop so hard after 50% when original BMS Zoe 22 would charge HARD until 90% (latterly nerfed by the BMS update).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Its a bit depressing isn't it. Hard to take that 8 years after it first hit market, and quite a few revisions and a big jump in capacity that the new Zoe isn't really any faster at charging than the 2012 model. 😕

If the BMS on the new Zoe is so much superior why does it drop so hard after 50% when original BMS Zoe 22 would charge HARD until 90% (latterly nerfed by the BMS update).
Depressing maybe, but not at all unexpected. Physics has not changed, as much as people pray for a 5min charge on their runaround, it's simply not going to happen. Q210 still rules for me, no need for a rapid charger, just a 3 phase supply and a contactor. We still have one in the family, watching it hold 40kW+ past 90% the other day, our R110 pales in comparison.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,328 Posts
The BMS is so superior by not giving the cells something they deteriorate on. Yes I know I am being pedantic but packing more in less space means thinner everything (electrodes, separators, cooling channels, etc). It's the cells and their packaging, not the BMS.

It seems "we" either want to moan about longevity, or about charging. Human nature: it rains or it's too hot. My take on it is that most comparisons are between what we know after so many years of driving against leaflet values. Good riddance to that. I am pretty sure we won't hear the same moaning (at least not here) if the real thing is being less than stellar. That is human nature too.

I read the graph quite different really. The power intake is pro rata roughly the same as the Q90. And of course as a techy I kinda like the slow power INCREASE as the battery voltage slowly goes up with the current being constant.

Edit: please note that the graph represents DC power, not to be confused with AC uptake. AC uptake includes not insignificant losses (hear the fan blasting off?). For CCS those losses are dissipated in the ground based charger equipment.

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,710 Posts
Hi Alex,

I hope you had a safe and enjoyable trip. I have already watched his video on YouTube.

(y) Shame we didn’t meet each other in Germany that time.

“Let’s see!”

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I hope you had a safe and enjoyable trip. I have already watched his video on YouTube.
(y) Shame we didn’t meet each other in Germany that time.
“Let’s see!”
Hello :)
Thanks for your comment. Just tell me when you are in Germany next time. Or maybe once we are on the island, so we can meet ;-) But we don't have specific plans yet.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts