Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone know if the 2014 model has android auto?

Also how does the battyer lease work for a subsequent owner, i.e what happens if I go over the 6000m per year?

·
Registered
432 Posts
It doesn't have Android Auto.

The battery lease mileage starts when you sign the new lease. The original owner sends a form to Renault Finance (RCI) with your details on it. You sign up for the mileage you estimate you'll cover in the year - be aware that you pay extra (8p per mile) if you go over the mileage allowance but you don't get credited if you're under, so estimate on the low side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - presumably most are with a battery lease?

Is there anything to identify battery owned models?

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
146 Posts
Thanks - presumably most are with a battery lease?

Is there anything to identify battery owned models?
Look for a model with 'i' on the end of the model name, and the little badge on the back of the car. They will be a lot more expensive and quite rare, and if you are looking at 2014 models I don't even think battery owned models existed back then. I don't think 'i' was introduced until mid 2015 from memory.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,634 Posts
My 2014 has Android auto. You just need the right cable and software to activate it, works great too.

Anything prior to 2016 is ONLY battery hire. Battery owned models didn't get released until 2016.

FYI if your looking to buy I've got my White one for sale in the For sale section.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There are some battery owned Zoes from 2015 (ours is Sep-15) but they’re pretty rare and battery hire cars are often mid-advertised as i models.

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
146 Posts
There are some battery owned Zoes from 2015 (ours is Sep-15) but they’re pretty rare and battery hire cars are often mid-advertised as i models.
In the coming weeks they are going to be less rare. I've just been involved with the de-fleet process of 46 22kWh Zoe i-models on 65 plates which have gone to auction. So there should be a few of them appearing at dealers shortly up for sale. Another 23 on 16 plates will be leaving by the end of the month too.

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
Bear in mind that 22kWh battery owned only had 5 year battery warranty so prices may drop significantly once the warranty expires. It is possible to extend the warranty on the car to up to 10 years, but not the battery.

I would be wary of paying a big premium for 22kWh battery owned, unless you do high mileage. With higher mileage the potential depreciation is easier to justify.

For battery rental, I recommend the 4500 tier and just pay into a regular saver for the extra miles. Some regular savers pay 5% interest. Also probably best to only do 1 year battery lease as next year they may offer lower costs for lower guarantee, like with Kangoo.

The Autotrader (AT) site is good at identifying and valuing used Zoe correctly - link below.

Best deals for used Zoe are private sales - keep an eye here and on AT but take care. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.

So the lowest battery hire is £49 per month or £588 pa, for 4,500miles - so 13pence per mile.
Plus the cost of the electricity - say 3ppm - That's the same cost per mile using petrol in my ICE car.

I can see that in five years a Zoe with battery rental will still have a good battery, but we've no idea how much the battery owned version will be worth, or how well the battery will have faired.

I'm still struggling to get my head around the figures. Buy a Zoe now for £7k, in five years I'll have spent a further £2,940 = £9,940 assuming I don't go over the miles.
The same distance 22,500miles will have cost just £675 in electricity.

Hmmm....

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
So the lowest battery hire is £49 per month or £588 pa, for 4,500miles - so 13pence per mile.
Plus the cost of the electricity - say 3ppm - That's the same cost per mile using petrol in my ICE car.
If you only look at fuel costs you are ignoring the largest cost of ownership - depreciation! To compare vehicles you need to look at total cost of ownership, depreciation, fuel, tax, servicing, etc.

A used battery rental Zoe is still a cheap BEV to buy and will have low depreciation. For example, there is a low mileage late 2015 Zoe on AT at £6500 which in 2 years could be worth £4500 if the warranty is extended. A similar age Leaf (with higher mileage) is around £10K and will not even have a battery warranty next year (5 year warranty).

I wouldn't drive a small ICE as hate the lack of refinement and (after Ampera) I really like the smoothness of an EV drivetrain. The Zoe allowed me to buy a cheaper car which will costs far less in depreciation than my previous ICE, e.g. Lexus IS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts