Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 66 reg Zoe with 31,339 miles, and over the past few months every time I go over a speed bump the front suspension creaks, at about 13mph. I’d taken out the 4 year extended warranty when I bought it secondhand in 2019, so took it into a dealer in Winchester, as my local dealer in Portsmouth offer horrendous customer service, so I always use Martins in Winchester. However, I’ve been told that it’s normal and not covered under warranty. Can anyone offer any advice? Should it be doing making a creaking noise after 31k? If not, is it worth taking it to another garage and getting a quote for it to be repaired, then contacting Renault again? As an aside, through all the problems I’ve had with this car, poor quality and awful customer service, I am never buying a Renault again.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,595 Posts
Erm, suspension parts wear out.

If you think this doesn’t happen on an Audi, think again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but I’ve driven many cars, far older and never had problems with the front suspension creaking. It just seems to be another reminder of the inconsistent quality of this car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dealer in Aldershot had my links replaced under extended warranty. Near side ball joint too. Try them.

Extended warranty should cover this. It's actually pretty extensive in what it covers.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,516 Posts
If you have the "Car Care" extended warranty, which is the one if you buy it through your dealer or Renault's website when your manufacturer warranty is running out (about 290 quid first year, about 340 thereafter) they will cover it if your mileage is reasonable. I just had a similar discussion, the only reason my dealer originally said it was a no was a miscommunication, they thought I had a different one that you get it you get it with the car when it's brand new which is a different cover.

What your dealer has to do is phone Car Care and authorise it with them. They'll say along the lines of "we wouldn't normally cover it but as it's fairly low mileage..." and it'll go through. It did for me at 30k miles at least.

Though this was after a worn ball joint and play in anti roll bar link had been identified in the annual service, which is obviously easier to flag up than a creaking noise

Reactions: Simon Thornton

·
Zoe Devotee
9,165 Posts
Yes, but I’ve driven many cars, far older and never had problems with the front suspension creaking. It just seems to be another reminder of the inconsistent quality of this car.
You need change your car every 2 years or sooner, then it never happens. 🤦‍♂️

Drop links on the Zoe are chocolate, they don't survive on typical potholed UK roads very well. Worth just changing them every 18 months and you won't get rattles.

However a creak could be a few things. Anti-roll bars have been known to have poor bushes and on occasion they'll need replacing on the Zoe. Those really shouldn't be wearing out prematurely. More worrying is the springs which appear to be a bit underspec and are prone to snapping. Might be worth getting your car to a regular garage, not a dealer just to check and confirm if there is an issue before taking further with your dealer.

Reactions: Simon Thornton

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer in Aldershot had my links replaced under extended warranty. Near side ball joint too. Try them.

Extended warranty should cover this. It's actually pretty extensive in what it covers.
Thanks. I've booked it into a local garage in a couple of weeks to give me a written quote and they said they're happy to liaise with the warranty company for me, but bloody typically, I've been over a few speed bumps in the last day or so, and there's no creaking at all! Could it be the ambient temperature, as it has changed dramatically in the last few days from about 1 to 2 deg to around 10 deg?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,165 Posts
Thanks. I've booked it into a local garage in a couple of weeks to give me a written quote and they said they're happy to liaise with the warranty company for me, but bloody typically, I've been over a few speed bumps in the last day or so, and there's no creaking at all! Could it be the ambient temperature, as it has changed dramatically in the last few days from about 1 to 2 deg to around 10 deg?
Possible, could actually be plastic components contracting in the car causing the creaking when cold. Or it could be suspension rubber suspension components expanding in the warmer weather causing the issue to go away. If you ignore it now and it comes back as the weather continues to rise then its probably the bushes continuing to wear. If it only comes back when its cold then it maybe is just plastic components inside the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Hi, Please do report back with any update, I have only just started to suffer with an irregular creak from speedhumps and turning the steering wheel.

I have replaced my drop links with the Bilstein replacements, 4 months ago, which cured the 'chattering' but this is a new sound, more noticeable and louder, during its loud phase, if i turn the steering wheel lock to lock it can make the sound disappear, but it will come back!

Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,
[
Hi, Please do report back with any update, I have only just started to suffer with an irregular creak from speedhumps and turning the steering wheel.

I have replaced my drop links with the Bilstein replacements, 4 months ago, which cured the 'chattering' but this is a new sound, more noticeable and louder, during its loud phase, if i turn the steering wheel lock to lock it can make the sound disappear, but it will come back!

Please keep us updated!
[/QUOTE]
Hi,

Please keep us updated!
Hi,
The replies from my local garage:-
We have looked at your Renault Zoe and found the following:
Nearside front and offside front shock absorber dust covers split and slight creak noticed at stand still.
Offside rear wheel grabbing slightly when rotated causing slight creaking noise.
No noise was noticed upon road-test and I don't believe with what we have found the warranty company would cover any costs as it appears everything noted would be seen as general wear and tear.
The price to replace one shock absorber gaiter (split) and bump stop (as this could also be causing a creaking noise and is no extra labour) would be around £109.75 - Parts and labour Inc. +VAT per side. The parts would have to be genuine from the main dealer as no motor factors have them in stock due to the vehicles age.

Hope this helps. Typically, I haven’t had the creaking noise when going over speed bumps now for the past few days for some bizarre reason, but as, and when the creaking noise comes back, I’ll probably get both sides done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
[

Please keep us updated!
Hi,
I've had this on my 16 plate Zoe for a year, it took 3 visits to 2 separate Martins before the could hear the (massively loud noise) I make going over road humps. Where we live is Road hump central and like you the warmer it is the less it happens.

Apparently there is nothing wrong with it except the noise and even with the extended warranty Renault have advised that further investigation will be at my own cost, as the car is safe! Completely sick to death of renault, the local dealer won't look at Zoes even though its part of the Martins, so I have a 40 min trip each way when I try to get it fixed

Let me know if you get to the bottom of it so as normal I can tell Martins how to fix my flipping car. (SMC Aldershot also crap ime). I'm in Reading and I'm sick of chasing round the South of England everytime I need something.

Good luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,
I've had this on my 16 plate Zoe for a year, it took 3 visits to 2 separate Martins before the could hear the (massively loud noise) I make going over road humps. Where we live is Road hump central and like you the warmer it is the less it happens.

Apparently there is nothing wrong with it except the noise and even with the extended warranty Renault have advised that further investigation will be at my own cost, as the car is safe! Completely sick to death of renault, the local dealer won't look at Zoes even though its part of the Martins, so I have a 40 min trip each way when I try to get it fixed

Let me know if you get to the bottom of it so as normal I can tell Martins how to fix my flipping car. (SMC Aldershot also crap ime). I'm in Reading and I'm sick of chasing round the South of England everytime I need something.

Good luck
Again, the inconsistent problem with my Zoe has now decided to stop making creaking noises when going over speedbumps for the past few weeks now! It it starts again, I might have the dust caps replaced on both sides (at a local garage), as he told me they were split, but will wait until the noise decides to come back.
I also took out the extended warranty at £799, I think, when I bought the car secondhand, and can't remember using it, but have been told several times that 'oh, that is covered under the extended warranty', or 'Renault have said it's nomal wear and tear'! I could tear my hair out with Renault, if I had any, I too have to take it to Martins, in Winchester, to have it looked at or anything done such as a service, (as my local dealer in Portsmouth don't want to know and want over £100 just to look at it)
I wish I hadn't taken out the extended warranty, as I would be far happier taking it to a proper garage, that charges normal prices, 1/2 away, unlike the corporate likes of Renault! To add to my Renault frustrations, I also pay the equally frustrating RCI Finance £89 per month for battery hire, but I believe that sort of charge applies to most ev's.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,516 Posts
Suspension and extended warranty, I speak from experience (I got covered, but there was some confusion at first as I wasn't clear which I have) the one you buy when you buy the car does NOT cover suspension. It's only the £300/year(ish) one you get after owning a Zoe within its initial manufacturer's warranty, known as Car Care (it's an external company rebranded as Renault I think) where it's covered by discretion as long as your mileage is reasonable.

I wouldn't be too happy if I'd paid £799, but there we go

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the updates all, personally I got so fed up with the noise I jacked the car up and sprayed the Special WD40 lubricant spray, the one that won't degrade rubber, over the movable suspension parts as I think mine is a metal on metal type of noise, and guess what.....no more noise, but in sure it will return come the winter!

·
Registered
MY18 R110
381 Posts
Mine occasionally suffers from the same creaking. It comes back every 6 months or so.
The primary time I notice it is when you go over a speed bump and both wheels move up at the same time.

Problem is the antiroll bar bushes seizing up.
Not sure why the Renault ones are different to other manufactures but as DGL found out you can make them shut up with a bit of WD40 on those bushes.
I'm sure you can get other creaks but to date this is the only place I have found any issue.
I planned to get the bushes out and put some proper rubber grease on them but the weather has just been so crap at weekends I gave in an resorted to WD40 again.

You'll find it will seem to cure itself when the weather is drier.
The dealership should know this. A friend with a Zoe had to have the antiroll bar replaced as it the creaking was bad and had worn the bar significantly. That was under the original warranty though.

It will also be one of the reasons that drop links fail as when the anti roll bar bush seizes a significant amount more force is now put through them, instead of the force being spread over the length of the antiroll bar as it is supposed to do.

A bit rubbish really when it is such a simple fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts