Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can take my 66 reg Zoe to, to have the battery SOC checked, preferably in Portsmouth? I’ve rang Martins in Winchester as I occasionally go to Winchester, but they want about £200 to ‘test’ it, as it takes about 2 hours to properly check it. I pay £89 a month to hire the battery, and if it’s SOC drops below 70 or 75%, the £89 monthly charge I pay covers the battery replacement. But, without paying £200+, how do I find out the battery’s condition?! The dealer says that if the SOC is below 70 or 75% they won’t charge me, but if it is fine or at 80% for example, I’ll have to pay. The car is still under the manf warranty and I’ve taken out the 4 year extended warranty, but they say the battery isn’t covered under either warranty.
Can anyone help?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,842 Posts
Does CanZE not work for you?

Is there something that leads you to believe your SOS around 70%?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
SOC (state of charge) is the percentage your battery is charged to at any given time, ie while charging the percentage rises, it's SOH (state of health) that your looking for to see how much useable capacity the battery still has.
For a few pounds you can get a dongle and using the canze app check SOH and much more.

Reactions: cDy

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
681 Posts
Presumably you mean State of Health (SOH), not State of Charge (SOC).

Dealers! 2 hours and £200 to check the SOH! It is simply fraud. They just plug in their clip tool and read out the data.

You can do it yourself with CanZE and an OBDII dongle: CanZE. You have to buy a good, fast dongle - read up on this on their website.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
The car is still under the manf warranty and I’ve taken out the 4 year extended warranty, but they say the battery isn’t covered under either warranty.
I think that you'll find that there is an 8 year guarantee on the battery but that is between the owners (RCI) and the manufacturers (Renault) and not you or the dealer. If you bought the battery ....
To check max SOC (not SOH but it is similar) why not run the battery to as close to zero as you dare and see how much it takes to charge it back up? Much cheaper and less hassle than £200 and 2 hours at a dealer, and whilst not as accurate (it'll be pessimistic) if it is 80%+ then all is well. CanZE is the best solution.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I’m not too concerned about the SOH, but was initially enquiring as to how I can find out, without paying the dealers extortionate prices. I’m aware that its capacity drops during cold weather, but like the idea of being able to check as and when I want. I’ve downloaded the CanZe app on my phone, but am trying to work out which is the correct OBD reader, Bluetooth or Wifi etc etc. I only use iOS so need something compatible, and not a dodgy cheap dingle from China! Any ideas?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,842 Posts
All the dongles are from China.

If you have a look at the CanZE website you can work out which one should work. It’s a little bit of a lottery however.

From memory it’s the WiFi ones which work with iOS.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Capacity drops in cold weather, it varies with type of mileage (motorway be urban) you are doing. Canze won't give you much more than the range guage on the dash is telling you for this issue. Your available range will go down 20% in winter.
Do you find the available range accurate or wildly pessimistic? My Zoe was very pessimistic when I got it but the dealer applied a software update and it is now very accurate.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,264 Posts
Does anyone know where I can take my 66 reg Zoe to, to have the battery SOC checked, preferably in Portsmouth? I’ve rang Martins in Winchester as I occasionally go to Winchester, but they want about £200 to ‘test’ it, as it takes about 2 hours to properly check it. I pay £89 a month to hire the battery, and if it’s SOC drops below 70 or 75%, the £89 monthly charge I pay covers the battery replacement. But, without paying £200+, how do I find out the battery’s condition?! The dealer says that if the SOC is below 70 or 75% they won’t charge me, but if it is fine or at 80% for example, I’ll have to pay. The car is still under the manf warranty and I’ve taken out the 4 year extended warranty, but they say the battery isn’t covered under either warranty.
Can anyone help?
The good news as you've seen is CanZE can do it. Worth getting yourself on the RZOC Facebook group, maybe a member is local to you and has the dongle and can check for you. Bad news though is if you find it is below 75% at best you'll find Renault will recommend the BMS update (they'll say it needs doing) and boom you'll magically have a high SOH reading again. At first it might seem like you've got more range, but when you try to push your range to the point of using all available kWh you'll find the car is short on capacity. Been confirmed on here by a dealer recently, RCI have changed ZERO battery packs for Degradation in the UK.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry, I have unconfused myself by re-reading Simon's post saying that he wasn't concerned about the SOH. I initially read that as though he meant that he wasn't interested in SOH but actually that is the number he needs, he just isn't worried about it. Yes, CanZe does it in the Technical / Charging screen or in the Main / Charging screen. It will most likely be 98% if the car's software is up to date. It doesn't start off at 100% for some reason so 98% means an as-new battery.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think that you'll find that there is an 8 year guarantee on the battery but that is between the owners (RCI) and the manufacturers (Renault) and not you or the dealer. If you bought the battery .....
...If it's an I model like mine, i.e. the battery is owned rather than leased and it's a 66 model then the battery has a 5 year, 60,000 mile guarantee. Later models got a substantially better guarantee on the battery. The batteries are mostly lasting much longer than people expected so it probably has a good few years left to go.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,469 Posts
The SOH on a brand new battery pack is usually a few percents above the nominal 100. The 98 seems to be the default after a total reset of the LBC computer, wiping out everything it knows about this particular battery. It will then slowly (as in: SLOWLY) gravitate to what it thinks is a fair approximation to what is really happening in a chemical sense inside the battery by monitoring current flow and cell voltages.

After the software update I had roughly 3 years ago it jumped (from memory) from 86 to 98 and stayed there for a long time (the 86 came in a plunge and was very unrealistic at that point). Recently it dropped quite dramatically from around 90 to 78, the up to 80 again. What I am trying to say is: it's a number. It's the best the (impressive) hardware can do, given what you throw at it in terms of temperature, deep cycling (so it knows when it reaches the terminal voltages), etcetera. But it is nothing more than that.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,264 Posts
The 98 seems to be the default after a total reset of the LBC computer
I feel like I have #validation after hearing that from you! (y)

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,469 Posts
I feel like I have #validation after hearing that from you! (y)
Why not, I am only reporting my numbers, no hearsay ;-) The 86 fall was a well known bug for sure. The following 98% was a default and we all know that. The system needs time and cycles to get back on track. If the 80% I am seeing now after 6.5 years is real (remember, it's still just a number), it's better than I expected when I bought it, it's worse than I expected 2 years ago, and I don't worry too much. After all, it's rental.

The main reason I reported it because it was implied above that "if you see 98 you have the new firmware". While that is true, the reverse is most certainly not: if you see sub 98, it most certainly does not mean you have old firmware.

I don't buy into the conspiracy theories. If my battery plunges to 74 and I bring it in, I fully expect them to do a massive reset again (it's what I would do) and yes, it will probably report 98% again. The update 3 years ago was NOT a failing battery, it was failing BMS firmware, so it would be regarded as a first complaint I would think. A second plunge after a few months, not so much.

To be honest, I am more "worried" about Renault nudging me to a new car instead of fixing the battery when the time comes. I am not into that at all by principle (still very content with the little bugger) and by common sense. Strange times ahead. The only thing it would do is accelerate CanZE ZE50 development ;)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Our BMS update put our R240 back up to 100% SOH, not 98. It stayed there for the next year or so that we owned it- it would show 108 miles on a full charge after a B trip reset and this was pretty comsistent for the 10k or so miles we did afterwards. I think our ZE40 has shown more degradation than the older car in % terms of SOH. Will be really interesting to see what the ZE50 does, although ours in currently stuck in Le Havre.. Happy to test drive beta version of CanZE if you’re working on it @yoh-there ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
if a car has 70% SOH, you go to renault and they just do a BMS "update", it doesnt change the health of your battery, they just updated firmware that changes how that % is calculated.
In my eyes, its just renault changing the formula (making 80 display as 95%, 75 display at 90% etc) to avoid replacing a battery when they should

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
This is not true, the BMS update on the 22kWh Zoes fixed a software error which incorrectly reported the SOH of the battery. Ours was showing poor range and taking ages to finish the 99-100% charge. After the BMS, it recovered range and the 99-100% charge time was back to normal, around 10-15 minutes. It wasn't just indicated range, the actual range recovered and we got over 100 miles in the summer from it.

There's no BMS update available for the ZE40 Zoes because they have the updated firmware already.

Here's a pic from August 2017, a few months after ours was updated, 104 miles done on 20 kWh, 14 miles left. They weren't hiding anything..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts