Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not in the market for this myself as don't have an EV (yet!) but curious as to how much it would cost and how many will take up the offer. My guess is that the initial insistence on battery leasing will limit those wanting to foot the bill. Those with leases may not like the idea of paying both a fee and more per month, and those owning it outright will either not be able to afford it or will have the cash to look at other options.

I would suspect that this is more useful as PR, being able to tout how upgradeable the car is. But in reality, how many of us have bought computers with a socket for something we have never made use of?

Having said that, this will contribute to what I think will be a golden year for the Zoe - better range, not too old to be dated, old enough to be established. For a while at least, all other options will be much more expensive, or have worse range, or both.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
I'm expecting.
Lease - £3000
Outright - £6000

Which is a rip off considering they are getting the old battery in return and that has value.

·
Registered
357 Posts
No way the outright will be that cheap, the battery itself costs that so add fitting and you're closer to £9k

·
Registered
111 Posts
No way the outright will be that cheap, the battery itself costs that so add fitting and you're closer to £9k
If that's the case, when a new car can be had for about twice as much with the new battery, but also new everything, minus the trade in for the old one, the benefits in even the ideal situation would be marginal.

What Renault would do better with, but I suspect never do, is sell the battery on its own for EV conversions. £9k for 40 kWh would be a great deal for that situation. Not to mention that the publicity of having classic Porsches, Beetles, whatever powered by a Renault battery would be great.

·
Vendor
1,632 Posts
I've been hearing more like £10k

·
Registered
14,774 Posts
If that's the case, when a new car can be had for about twice as much with the new battery, but also new everything, minus the trade in for the old one, the benefits in even the ideal situation would be marginal.

What Renault would do better with, but I suspect never do, is sell the battery on its own for EV conversions. £9k for 40 kWh would be a great deal for that situation. Not to mention that the publicity of having classic Porsches, Beetles, whatever powered by a Renault battery would be great.
Just buy the home storage battery for your EV conversion. :)

·
Zoe Devotee
8,732 Posts
Which is a rip off considering they are getting the old battery in return and that has value.
Rip off indeed, who'd expect Renault to take back something they own in its entirety and not give you a trade in too lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts