Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm sorry, this queston has probably already been asked but I have a Renault Zoe (2014) and when I use a granny cable, it either trips the RDC in the fusebox, or the port on the car lashes red and tells me to "Check Charging Station". I have used two different cables now so that can't be be problem and I've ried different sockets in different places. Could the car be the problem? I have recently had a message come up saying "Check Electrical Systems" but this was beore I tried the cable and it soon disappeared after a full charge so I don't know if it's connected? Any help would be great thanks as this was going to be my main charging method for at least the time being. Thanks

·
Registered
920 Posts
Have you tried plugging in at a friend's house? I wonder if it could be your house's earth wiring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I plug in at home it trips it. Plug in anywhere else and I get the flashing red telling me to the check the charging station. At home is probably to do with the wiring but I don't get why it doesn't work anywhere else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't but I have tried 2 different ones, both which do the same. I'm a bit worried that that combined with the check electrical systems is a sign of something bigger

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
It sounds serious but not necessarily expensive. Have you tried a public charge point, ideally one with a fixed 3 phase cable?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. Charged fine at a 7kW Pod Point at Sainsbury's and an 11kW Tesla charger

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Sounds like your 12v battery. Do you know what the voltage is on that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We did wonder that when the Check Electrical systems came up but then it disappeared. Could that affect the cable charging then? Sorry but a complete novice, how do I check the voltage of the 12v battery?

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Or you can get inexpensive devices that plug into the power socket in the car, but check that you can make that live without running the DC: DC converter and hence measuring something else!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I've ordered a multimeter which should arrive tomorrow. Could this affect the granny cable charging or just the dashboard notice of Check Electrical Systems?

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
It can effect both and can be a relatively cheap fix.
Yep. Charged fine at a 7kW Pod Point at Sainsbury's and an 11kW Tesla charger
I presume that is after the issue with the granny charger started, not before it?

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
628 Posts
If it's still charging without problems at 7kW and 22kW chargers then I don't think it's the 12V battery, or at least only the 12V battery. A successful charge usually clears faults like this.

It is worth keeping a check on the 12V battery (on any EV) - Renault have it as a replaceable item every 3 years. Have a look at the ZOE forum on this site and search for "12V battery". There's lots of advice (and opinions). For example:

12V battery a service-replacement item?

12v battery problem

Battery tester for 12V battery

As a thought, we had to have the pulse box (and then the PEB) on our 40kW Zoe replaced under warranty (the car didn't break down first and the fixes were fast and efficient). We had similar problems with a granny charger at ONE location before this was done. Before the fix we then had an error message until the fix was done. I'm not saying this is your problem - just one more possibility. The pulse box is the unit that monitors the state of and, I think, controls charging of the 12V battery.

Finally, if you want more help on this issue, I'd post it on the Zoe forum, where it will get seen by the Zoe community.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the extra advice there. I've got a multimeter coming today so I'll check that and then I've booked in for a service (including 12v battery change if required) for Tuesday, so I'll try again after that and hopefully everything should work. If not, I'm a little stumped and might have to invest in a wall box

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think you can get Renault to subsidise the cost of a home charger Jude, even if the car is second hand.
Only if it's ex-dem I think. I bought a used Zoe from a Renault dealer and had to pay for it myself. OLEV grant would apply anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I tested the battery which was giving a reading of 13.5V so it shouldn't need replacing?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts