Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Picking up my 2017 Zoe on Saturday but am having to wait 4 weeks for a home charger to be installed. Any recommendations for a cheap but half decent quality granny cable I can buy in the interim? I know it will take hours longer to charge but other than going to a public charge point, I'm stuck.
Thanks

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
117 Posts
Hi everyone,
Picking up my 2017 Zoe on Saturday but am having to wait 4 weeks for a home charger to be installed. Any recommendations for a cheap but half decent quality granny cable I can buy in the interim? I know it will take hours longer to charge but other than going to a public charge point, I'm stuck.
Thanks
I would try and find a local public charger if possible if it is only going to be for 4 weeks.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Depending on where you are located I would be more than happy to lend you mine. In 18-months I have still yet to ever use it...!

I'm in Hertfordshire. Sometime commute to Oxford (although pretty rare these days..!).

·
Registered
117 Posts
On this subject, I would like to borrow a granny cable just to see how effectively they charge, before I have an external point fitted.
Does anyone in the Cornwall area have one I could borrow/hire?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,092 Posts
On this subject, I would like to borrow a granny cable just to see how effectively they charge, before I have an external point fitted.
Does anyone in the Cornwall area have one I could borrow/hire?
A full charge in my ZE40 will take a little over 24 hours. Your car with the bigger battery will take even longer. The efficiency is poor with a granny cable in general, but with the Zoe especially its one of the worst for that.

If you can get a proper home chargepoint, you absolutely should. Not only for efficiency but also speed, convenience and safety.

You're genuinely better relying on a local public chargepoint than messing around with a granny cable on a Zoe in my opinion.

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
179 Posts
Screwfix have the masterplug cable at very good prices but good luck finding a branch that has them in stock.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A full charge in my ZE40 will take a little over 24 hours. Your car with the bigger battery will take even longer. The efficiency is poor with a granny cable in general, but with the Zoe especially its one of the worst for that.

If you can get a proper home chargepoint, you absolutely should. Not only for efficiency but also speed, convenience and safety.
That is exactly why I wanted to try a granny cable first, before buying one!
I live in a flat with no chance of a home-charge point at present.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depending on where you are located I would be more than happy to lend you mine. In 18-months I have still yet to ever use it...!

I'm in Hertfordshire. Sometime commute to Oxford (although pretty rare these days..!).
Thank you, that's really kind. Live in Somerset so might be a stretch! But thanks....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everybody. I've lucked out and found a local neighbour who is going to let me charge off his EON Mini Pro in return for a pint in the pub. Nice!

I've plumped for the Octopus Energy-subsidised EON Mini Pro 2, just released but not getting an install until 12th Oct.

Is there a particular thread on this forum for new Zoe owners? Things to check, tips etc.?

Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts