Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Whomever told you that you'd get 60-80miles in Winter was lying to you, or they live in the south of France. In the UK expect no more than 60miles in winter if you don't like freezing. @80 in Summer and @60 in winter is pretty accurate in normal driving. If you drive slow and steady you'll get more in Summer, but not so much in winter.
"Lying" seems a bit harsh and unwarranted ? In my experience your figures are quite pessimistic unless you're talking about doing a constant 70mph+ (indicated 77) on the motorway for the entire journey or you have a lead foot.

Quoting an EV's range based solely on worst case scenario fast motorway driving is about as unfair as quoting the MPG of an ICE based solely on motorway speeds instead of using a "combined" figure as is usually done.

My daily commute is 37 miles - half that is in 30/40 zones, the other half on the motorway at 70mph. Today the battery went from 82% at departure down to 46% getting home - so 37 miles done with 36% of the battery used, that extrapolates out to 102 miles range. Ambient temperature is around 15-17 degrees. SoH 88.5%.

On the very first long trip I did in the Leaf after buying it last year I managed 102 miles with 11% remaining - the vast majority of that was on the motorway albeit some of it was at 60mph instead of 70 due to congestion. (M8 from Glasgow to Edinburgh) That particular trip had three adults, a child and a full boot of luggage and it was a very hot day that needed the A/C on.

For mixed local/motorway driving I am actually getting about 100 miles real world range in the summer and in winter 0-4C it was typically 80 miles. (Battery discharged from 100% to 55% for the same 37 miles - which extrapolates to 82 miles range) The very worst I ever saw with -8C weather and the heater turned up to about 23C was 70 miles, but those were extreme conditions.

A daily commute has the added penalty in the winter that you have to warm the car up twice - once potentially with plugged in preheating but the return trip is heating the car purely from battery. A single long trip would give a bit more range in winter than two shorter ones.

If you put you foot down and do well over the motorway speed limit the entire journey then yeah, your figures are more accurate.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It depends on the use of the vehicle as well. I do very little motorway miles we use the EV almost entirely around town or on A roads.

I did 58 miles yesterday and have 54% left on the battery with 64 miles on GOM. Exactly in line with the mileage range I have stated on here.

I know exactly what range I can get out of it. I have done over 2000 miles in it since we bought it and the range I am getting is very consistent.

It was hot so I even ran the Aircon on one journey.

If you buy a car with a knackered battery and drive like an idiot in D mode with heating or air con on full time the entire time obviously you are not going to get good range it's not rocket science.

Driving style, driving mode and most importantly buy one with a decent battery. If you don't have a decent leaf spy reading don't buy it. The problem is people look at these cars like they are Ice vehicles. When buying used the condition of the battery is by far the most important factor

·
Zoe Devotee
9,033 Posts
pessimistic
I like to think accurate. Better to be accurate than claim you'll get more than you will in real terms. (y)

extrapolates out to 102 miles range.
I refer you back to my other comment, extrapolation isn't range, its guessing your terminal range based on a optimistic GOM. :ROFLMAO:

If you put you foot down and do well over the motorway speed limit the entire journey then yeah, your figures are more accurate.
My example was based on winter driving in central Scotland, during a commute not tanking down the motorway. ;)

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,469 Posts
FWIW in my Zoe 22 I did 81.6 miles on mixed A roads (max 70mph indicated when overtaking, 60 indicated otherwise) at 12c light rain and eco mode. This is with SOH 84%. But the last 10 miles were with battery low warnings, driving around at 30mph locally. I couldn't actually kill it, it was still moving after 21.6kwh used long after 0% even when canze said 0.0% real soc but cell voltages were down to 3V (the low threshold for li-ion before deep discharge related degradation occurs, some say 2.8V ignoring any sort of safety margin or variability) so I threw the towel in. And the SOH hasn't recalculated upwards since (it's actually gone down to 83%) which is why I think it's calculated on the full 23.3 usable kWh. 84% of 23.3 is 21.6. I don't know if those with 100% health were letting you draw 23.3 in that case then, with the last 1.3 or so in limited performance mode as an emergency, or what.

Realistically in that milder weather I'd not normally do 81.6 miles (plus an hour sat at a charger with AC on at 0.0% seeing how much I can actually pull out of the battery). I'd have eco off, wouldn't be driving with max range in mind necessarily, and wouldn't want my friends/family sitting with their arses puckering in the passenger seats as the car beeps and bongs along the last 10-15 miles so real world would be more like 60-70 miles.

Reactions: Sandy

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I refer you back to my other comment, extrapolation isn't range, its guessing your terminal range based on a optimistic GOM. :ROFLMAO:
Extrapolating range from battery percentage has nothing to do with the GOM estimate - which I ignore as it is always hyper optimistic even if I drive like a loon.

If you do 50 miles and use 50% of the battery then you can extrapolate that to 100 miles, keeping in mind some of the bottom of that 50% is in the low battery warning region, so "usable" range with a safety margin is of course less depending on how big a margin you want to leave yourself. (I typically try to avoid going below 20 miles range left)

Also I specifically mentioned a journey where I did 102 miles mostly 60mph with 11% left. No GOM involved there either. 102/(1-0.11) = 114....
My example was based on winter driving in central Scotland, during a commute not tanking down the motorway. ;)
Well you actually gave a winter and summer figure and so did I. I also commute in Central Scotland (M8 into Glasgow from Lanarkshire) and while I used to tend to do 60mph in the slow lane on the motorway portion, due to changes in nursery drop off time I'm finding I have to push on in lane 2 now at 70mph and I'm still getting a surprisingly high figure. To be honest I loose more range turning up the heater 2C than I do going from 60->70mph for that half of the journey. I'm not driving like a loon but I'm certainly not hypermiling either. Just normal driving.

Another factor is my miles/kWh has gone way up since I started charging to 80% again instead of 100%. There is no regen at 100% so this significantly impacts driving efficiency on the order of 25% for the first 10-15 miles.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,033 Posts
"Lying" seems a bit harsh and unwarranted ?
I think we are going around in circles, So my point was whomever said 60-80miles in a Zoe in winter was lying, which they were. Maybe you missed the point where the OP said WINTER and ZOE. You don't get 80miles in winter unless you drive at 20mph with no heating on, but I think you'd give in before you'd even covered 40miles. Extrapolate that to a car we weren't talking about???????

FWIW in my Zoe 22 I did 81.6 miles on mixed A roads (max 70mph indicated when overtaking, 60 indicated otherwise) at 12c light rain and eco mode. This is with SOH 84%. But the last 10 miles were with battery low warnings, driving around at 30mph locally. I couldn't actually kill it, it was still moving after 21.6kwh used long after 0% even when canze said 0.0% real soc but cell voltages were down to 3V (the low threshold for li-ion before deep discharge related degradation occurs, some say 2.8V ignoring any sort of safety margin or variability) so I threw the towel in. And the SOH hasn't recalculated upwards since (it's actually gone down to 83%) which is why I think it's calculated on the full 23.3 usable kWh. 84% of 23.3 is 21.6. I don't know if those with 100% health were letting you draw 23.3 in that case then, with the last 1.3 or so in limited performance mode as an emergency, or what.

Realistically in that milder weather I'd not normally do 81.6 miles (plus an hour sat at a charger with AC on at 0.0% seeing how much I can actually pull out of the battery). I'd have eco off, wouldn't be driving with max range in mind necessarily, and wouldn't want my friends/family sitting with their arses puckering in the passenger seats as the car beeps and bongs along the last 10-15 miles so real world would be more like 60-70 miles.
A good honest breakdown of what to expect generally, not in winter, but a typical cool and wet UK day in a ZOE. About 80miles is exactly what I'd agree with, yes you can go much further but it would be "that one time" not every day. Just like I did 132miles on a degraded pack, but it was just that one time, in peak conditions, driving slower than I usually would, pre-BMS (post getting 100 was a challenge). Winter I'd see the usual lie of 72miles on a full charge after resetting trip B. Within 2 miles (1 of those at 20mph through the village) I'd see 59 miles where it would stay for a while, but on the return trip home it would have dropped (not risen like it does in summer). I'd get all of 4 days on a 6mile each way commute before I would charge as car would be showing about 11miles range max (so not enough for Friday commute). On a cold weekend I'd guestimate I had 65miles range max if it was 30miles to destination and 30miles back, but I'd still take a charge if one was available as it means the return journey could be carried out at 60mph and not 50-55 just to be safe.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I think we are going around in circles, So my point was whomever said 60-80miles in a Zoe in winter was lying, which they were. Maybe you missed the point where the OP said WINTER and ZOE. You don't get 80miles in winter unless you drive at 20mph with no heating on, but I think you'd give in before you'd even covered 40miles. Extrapolate that to a car we weren't talking about???????
Well that was a waste of a conversation. This whole conversation could have been avoided if in the post of yours that I commented on you'd bothered to quote the person who you were responding to to make it clear you were referring to the range of a Zoe not a Leaf! :rolleyes: (This is a Zoe vs Leaf thread where range is being discussed so it was not obvious whose comments you were responding to. And for all I know you're an ex-Leaf driver who now has a Zoe who was commenting on the claimed range of a Leaf)

It should have been pretty clear that I was referring to the range of a 30kWh Leaf and you waited this long to clarify the misunderstanding. Sheesh.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well that was a waste of a conversation. This whole conversation could have been avoided if in the post of yours that I commented on you'd bothered to quote the person who you were responding to to make it clear you were referring to the range of a Zoe not a Leaf! :rolleyes: (This is a Zoe vs Leaf thread where range is being discussed so it was not obvious whose comments you were responding to. And for all I know you're an ex-Leaf driver who now has a Zoe who was commenting on the claimed range of a Leaf)

It should have been pretty clear that I was referring to the range of a 30kWh Leaf and you waited this long to clarify the misunderstanding. Sheesh.
I also thought it was referring to the Leaf tbh.....

·
Zoe Devotee
9,033 Posts

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,469 Posts
I am certainly interested in comparisons vs. the 30kwh Leaf in terms of range. Whilst my ideal is to keep this Zoe until I can stump up for a used ZE40 (or 50 in my dreams), they're depreciating painfully slowly and meanwhile AC is disappearing from motorways with various tweets about getting 22kW posts at some point in the future (believe it when I see it), so a Leaf30 remains a contingency plan if things go pear shaped. (I know Chademo is also "dead" but at least there isn't quite as much of a hurry to stop catering for it)

A good honest breakdown of what to expect generally, not in winter, but a typical cool and wet UK day in a ZOE. About 80miles is exactly what I'd agree with, yes you can go much further but it would be "that one time" not every day. Just like I did 132miles on a degraded pack, but it was just that one time, in peak conditions, driving slower than I usually would, pre-BMS (post getting 100 was a challenge). Winter I'd see the usual lie of 72miles on a full charge after resetting trip B. Within 2 miles (1 of those at 20mph through the village) I'd see 59 miles where it would stay for a while, but on the return trip home it would have dropped (not risen like it does in summer). I'd get all of 4 days on a 6mile each way commute before I would charge as car would be showing about 11miles range max (so not enough for Friday commute). On a cold weekend I'd guestimate I had 65miles range max if it was 30miles to destination and 30miles back, but I'd still take a charge if one was available as it means the return journey could be carried out at 60mph and not 50-55 just to be safe.
132 miles!! Was it all downhill? :ROFLMAO:
I have yet to even manage 100 but I might give it a try when the weather is nice.
Resetting B trip definitely gets you the optimistic GOM reading (case in point after I'd stretched it kicking and screaming to 81 miles and about -5% SOC - if it were to indicate below 0 - I reset B and it said 87...), I very rarely reset it except for a change in seasons, and find it stays a lot more accurate that way. Also average mphwh becomes something that drifts gradually over the weeks rather than jumping around (4.3ish right now. 2.8-3.0 in winter. 3.2-3.5 in between.) but maybe if I reset it on a very nice day I will get the 5+mpkwh that others report, I've never seen it in 3 years of ownership though!

I also notice how you lose quite a few miles after a full charge (quite a few after a B reset, not as bad without one) but it seems to "find them down the back of the sofa" at the bottom end :). That could of course be because at the end you are generally going slow and with a warm battery.

It seems like things like mpkwh and SOH figures don't always seem to add up and can be taken with some salt... it goes as far as it does, something you learn over the years. "To death" I'd be more generous and say probably 70 in winter and 100 in summer (to be tested) based on mine but question how many people really run them down to limited performance and beyond unless they're always alone which is why I'd say realistically 60 and 80 respectively, 50 and 70 if your passengers' range anxiety is on the worse side like my parents. My sales guy just said "realistically we say about 80 miles" which I'd say is quite an honest salesman really all in all.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts