Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
Yes, believe it or not people are buying second hand Zoes (and other EVs).

If you look at the asking prices, it will give you some idea of the demand.

When was insurance ever high for an EV? I’ve been driving them since 2014.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
And just put your details into a comparison site to get an idea of the insurance cost. You'll get less quotes but they are not significantly higher than a similar value ICE.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have bought 2 used Zoes, first was 3 year old with one previous owner, battery lease 22 kwh, second ex-dem ZE40, battery leased. Insurance was very slightly higher than for the 13 year old Renault Scenic it replaced. LV do an EV specific policy. No real problems with either car.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,014 Posts
Depending on your budget and usage, the Zoe may not be the first choice. If you want one of the cheapest EVs, minimal ongoing costs, and you can get by with the degraded battery's limited range you're probably better off with a LEAF perhaps (I Mention this as insurance cost seems to be a concern, so presumably other costs like battery lease may also be something you wish to avoid - Even though you will already be saving on tax, fuel and a bit of maintenance)

To echo what has already been said though, unless you are a very young, very new driver the costs of insurance shouldn't be too high, and the fuel type shouldn't make much difference to the quotes you get. Just find one you're interested in online, run the numbers on a couple of insurance comparison sites (as well as a few who don't list their policies there like Direct Line and Aviva) and you should find a good price.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a 2nd hand Zoe, previously had a Mitsubishi i-miev, both great cars. Look for a car with manufacturer warranty that has been renewed so you have cover of all the major components in case of any issue. Once the mfr warranty has lapsed it cant be renewed.
Cheers

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,184 Posts
LV do an EV specific policy.
Really need to compare with others with this insurance. Rumour has it that it's no different from the ICE insurance (except price??), just has prettier packaging.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,184 Posts
so presumably other costs like battery lease may also be something you wish to avoid
Generally, if you take the PCP cost and the lease together they add up to the monthly payments of other EV. Don't forget that the battery value is taken away from the price of the Zoe before the PCP is equated and then the battery is rented. IE, first Zoe PCP £78.88/month with battery rental £88/month = £158.88/month. Second Zoe PCP £214.06/month with battery rental £99/month = £313.06. Current MG = £308.20/month. So you can see that they are very comparable.

The downside of the rental comes when you try to part with Zoe. RCI (Renault Bank) have some very strict rules about who has to pay the rental. Until you can shift it on to a new owner, you are still liable to pay it. I've just parted with mine for the MG to a Renault dealer. The dealer didn't get the paperwork off to RCI before the lockdown and I'm was getting grief from RCI as I'm still liable for the £99/month and I've stopped the Direct Debit. Fortunately, they seem to be OK with it as I have put them into the picture. I dread to think what would have happened if it wasn't a Renault dealer. The next payment is due in 2 days, we'll see what happens then? Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,184 Posts
All my EV have been no more expensive that my previous ICE. It's another of those anti EV myths. :(

Oh, on the battery rental. Most insurers cover the battery as part of the car nowadays. In the early days some were not clear on how to handle the battery as Renault wanted it insured separately. o_O:mad:

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,032 Posts
I would like to know if buying a second-hand electric car, e.g. Renault ZOE. Is a thing people are doing, or if the insurance is still too high for EVs.
If you share more information, the collective genius of this forum will be able to better advise you on your launch into the world of EVs.

Your budget?
Your usage pattern?
Driveway for home charging?
Local charging infrastructure?

If you want to, of course. If you only wanted to know about insurance, I think you’ve already got some very good answers.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
167 Posts
For a first time driver I would actually recommend an ICE car for the simple reason of getting some experience using a manual gearbox (unless they have an auto only licence, obviously).

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
For a first time driver I would actually recommend an ICE car for the simple reason of getting some experience using a manual gearbox (unless they have an auto only licence, obviously).
Huh? If they've got a manual licence they must have taken their test in a manual car, so will already have experience using a manual gearbox.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Or just get an EV and never look back?
I had this discussion with our daughter, a used Zoe was in the budget we were prepared to spend on her first car.
But 'wanderlust' is something new drivers usually have and when I pointed out the comparative hassle she'd have if she decided to swan off to Edinburgh/Glasgow, she agreed it wasn't a great idea.
If doing that she'd really have to borrow mum or dad's car, which then has insurance implications.
For now, better she has an ICE.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,014 Posts
Now that we’re pretty certain that the future of cars is going to involve the likes of electricity/hydrogen/hybrids which are all automatics I don’t really see the argument for manuals. If you learned and took the test in one you already have that experience. But if I was ever to have to re-take a driving test I would personally just save the hassle and go auto only. I’ve driven a grand total of 14 miles in a manual in the last 5 years.

I don’t even think that’s just my American side showing either. I’m sure many brits who have experienced an EV would agree that the manual gearbox is a pointless waste of effort to any average motorist.

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
167 Posts
Huh? If they've got a manual licence they must have taken their test in a manual car, so will already have experience using a manual gearbox.
Driving lessons teach you to pass the test and, unless they've had literally years of lessons, that isn't "experience".

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I had this discussion with our daughter, a used Zoe was in the budget we were prepared to spend on her first car.
But 'wanderlust' is something new drivers usually have and when I pointed out the comparative hassle she'd have if she decided to swan off to Edinburgh/Glasgow, she agreed it wasn't a great idea.
If doing that she'd really have to borrow mum or dad's car, which then has insurance implications.
For now, better she has an ICE.
Interesting point. As an inexperienced driver long journeys are best avoided or broken into suitable chunks. Whilst my LEAF24 may have too short a range plenty of newer models have sufficient for two hours at a sensible speed at which point recharging forces a sensible break. The only other issue may be cost in the short term - there are plenty of ICE capable of say 120 miles before a break for a fraction of the cost of an EV that will do that. Equally there are sports cars (MX-5), estates, soft-tops, two doors, etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Now that we’re pretty certain that the future of cars is going to involve the likes of electricity/hydrogen/hybrids which are all automatics I don’t really see the argument for manuals. If you learned and took the test in one you already have that experience. But if I was ever to have to re-take a driving test I would personally just save the hassle and go auto only. I’ve driven a grand total of 14 miles in a manual in the last 5 years.

I don’t even think that’s just my American side showing either. I’m sure many brits who have experienced an EV would agree that the manual gearbox is a pointless waste of effort to any average motorist.
I still think it's short-sighted and limiting to go for an automatic-only licence right now, and it's why I'm determined our daughter will learn in a manual.
She'll then be covered for any scenario, simple as that.
It's certainly still far easier to hire a manual car, here or abroad, for example.
Same with loan cars from garages etc.
Sure you can get an auto version, but you may have to wait longer or pay more.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Interesting point. As an inexperienced driver long journeys are best avoided or broken into suitable chunks. Whilst my LEAF24 may have too short a range plenty of newer models have sufficient for two hours at a sensible speed at which point recharging forces a sensible break. The only other issue may be cost in the short term - there are plenty of ICE capable of say 120 miles before a break for a fraction of the cost of an EV that will do that. Equally there are sports cars (MX-5), estates, soft-tops, two doors, etc.
I'm not sure as to why you think longer journeys should be avoided or broken down, just because you're a new driver.
Seems overly cautious to me, a wee bit OTT.
One of the first journeys I did as a new drive was Aberdeen-Donington for a bike race - 6+ hours no problem.
While I'm not saying I'd like my daughter to do the same, I don't think Aberdeen to Edinburgh/Glasgow (2 hours) is something to fear.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts