Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have a question to ask relating to a programmed charge on the renault zoe. I have it set to come on at 12:30am and turn off at 4:30am to take advantage of off peak charging. I have entered the programme and it is saved. I have noticed on two occasions the vehicle did not receive a charge. Can anyone advise please

·
Registered
256 Posts
Timed charging on the Zoe is... somewhat temperamental.

Anecdotally, I've found that the car needs to be "awake" when you plug it in for it to start a scheduled charge - if I don't plug it in when I get home but wait until later, opening the flap with the button on the car key, it usually fails to start charging later. (The car actually managed to kill our original charge point that way: it tries to start charging, the main contactor in the charge point clicks on, but the charge fails so it immediately clicks off again... repeated every few seconds all night, eventually killing the relay.)

If the car hasn't been woken up at the end of a scheduled charge, it won't start the next charge (e.g. if you have it set to charge 0200-0400 each night but don't use it one day, it won't start at 0200 on the second night).

There are reports elsewhere on the forum that scheduled charging doesn't work on Sundays(!) in the ZE50.

Sometimes setting a schedule appears to work but the schedule never makes it to the car. I don't use the Renault app (I wrote my own) so I don't know if there's a way to tell if the car's received the schedule or not other than looking at what's set in the car itself.

When it works, it's quite useful though (and it's better than trying to use Chargemaster's attempt at a solution on the charger end)…

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Timed charging on the Zoe is... somewhat temperamental.

Anecdotally, I've found that the car needs to be "awake" when you plug it in for it to start a scheduled charge - if I don't plug it in when I get home but wait until later, opening the flap with the button on the car key, it usually fails to start charging later. (The car actually managed to kill our original charge point that way: it tries to start charging, the main contactor in the charge point clicks on, but the charge fails so it immediately clicks off again... repeated every few seconds all night, eventually killing the relay.)

If the car hasn't been woken up at the end of a scheduled charge, it won't start the next charge (e.g. if you have it set to charge 0200-0400 each night but don't use it one day, it won't start at 0200 on the second night).

There are reports elsewhere on the forum that scheduled charging doesn't work on Sundays(!) in the ZE50.

Sometimes setting a schedule appears to work but the schedule never makes it to the car. I don't use the Renault app (I wrote my own) so I don't know if there's a way to tell if the car's received the schedule or not other than looking at what's set in the car itself.

When it works, it's quite useful though (and it's better than trying to use Chargemaster's attempt at a solution on the charger end)…
Thank you that was most helpful i will monitor this and take particular attention to charging issues on a Sunday evening as this was evident in my case.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have had this problem several times. I now always check that the charge has started - either on my smartmeter, or on the app. I find the glowing blue light at the flap that pulses when it is charging is useless. I have been able to start the charge when it has failed by selecting instant charge on the app. I think (but can't be sure) that a clue that the car wasn't awakewhen you plugged in, is by checking on the app - it should show 'plugged in, the scheduled charge and the current time. My off peak (Go Faster) starts at 2130, so it's not a problem for me but 0030 would be a bit of a pain! The programmed charging faff is one of the only things about the car that I am disappointed with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you that info resonates with me as i did notice when i had plugged in my charger the app status was saying unknown in the app. So the next time i plug in as long as it says custom in the app it should charge at the required programme setting. Renault needs to sort this out.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ive never actually used the app or the charge scheduler in the car. I find personally the delay charge untill a preprogrammed start time works best for me.. either I want a charge immediately or if charging with economy 7 at home I press the delay charge setting on the central display app.
I guess that you can tell the car when to stop charging so that would be useful if you only get 4 hours at a reduced rate.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
716 Posts
Delayed charging does not work or is disabled
For information, every aspect of programmed charging (immediate, delayed and programmed) is working for me, with no problems, including Sundays. July 2020 ZE50 R135. I do have my programming set of every night of the week from 00:30 to 04:30 for Octopus GO. I also have other, shorter, programmes set up so I can top up to 80% during COVID. (We normally just charge to 100%, or whatever the 4 hour charge will reach - it adds about 50%.)

Edit: corrected typo ZE40 -> ZE50 R135.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your reply concerning my charging issues. I have the new 52Kwh version of the Renault Zoe and the delayed function does not work and there is a message saying this function is not available. The other two functions are instant and custom. I only use the custom option as this allows me to pre-programme the charge to coincide with my off peak tariff. My main issue is that when i plugged in on Sun it did not charge but it worked the following night. I did notice in the custom option on Sun there was a message saying charge unknown but the following day it said custom. I will in future check with the app that it states plugged in and charge reflects custom

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thank you for your reply concerning my charging issues. I have the new 52Kwh version of the Renault Zoe and the delayed function does not work and there is a message saying this function is not available. The other two functions are instant and custom. I only use the custom option as this allows me to pre-programme the charge to coincide with my off peak tariff. My main issue is that when i plugged in on Sun it did not charge but it worked the following night. I did notice in the custom option on Sun there was a message saying charge unknown but the following day it said custom. I will in future check with the app that it states plugged in and charge reflects custom
Hi, I also have a 52kWh Zoe and can confirm that delayed charging works on my car.

Like you, I find occasional problems with Sunday programmed charging. I believe the problem happens when the charge starts before midnight and goes more than one hour past midnight. I believe this because on most Sunday evenings when the charge does not go past midnight it works properly. I intend to test this by splitting the charge into two parts, one before and one after midnight on the next occasion a long Sunday evening charge is required.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 Intens R135
13 Posts
I have the new 52Kwh version of the Renault Zoe and the delayed function does not work and there is a message saying this function is not available.
Setting the delayed function is not available in the app, but it works from the in-car screen as far as I know.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
716 Posts
For information, every aspect of programmed charging (immediate, delayed and programmed) is working for me, with no problems, including Sundays. July 2020 ZE40. I do have my programming set of every night of the week from 00:30 to 04:30 for Octopus GO. I also have other, shorter, programmes set up so I can top up to 80% during COVID. (We normally just charge to 100%, or whatever the 4 hour charge will reach - it adds about 50%.)
Sorry - ZE450 was a typo - corrected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts