Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've been test driving a Zoe and Leaf for a few days and whilst I like the Leaf it's price really puts me off. I loved the Zoe but the only niggle for me was that when I went to charge at an Ecotricity pump it came up charging impossible on the dash. Firstly is that a common thing and secondly the dealer mentioned that if I wanted to use a rapid charger often ( which I would) that I'd need a Zoe Rapid charge. I've trawlled through auto trader and numerous other sites and I can't find any used examples which mention rapid charge. My question is, is there a way to tell it's equipped for rapid charging other than it being called a rapid charge? Thank you

·
Ecohound
1,291 Posts
All Zoe's can use a Rapid but newer Zoe's come in two flavours. Firstly there is the original ones which will charge at 43kW then they brought out a more efficient motor but it can only Rapid charge at 22kW. How you know what is fitted with what motor I don't know. I brought a secondhand Zoe i dynamic intense and didn't know what motor it had but turns out to be the original as it charges at the higher rate. For our use it didn't make any difference.
However we are now looking at buying the longer range 40kWh and Q90 motor which Q means Quick but to the rest of us means Rapid. To confuse issues the new Zoe the slower charging car has a R90 motor (this will give you a longer range).

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The only way I know of, to tell the difference without the physical 22kW\43kW charging time\rate is under the bonnet.
If designated with a Q then it has the 43kW rapid charge feature and R it has the 22kW maximum charge.

Below. Q210 is the early Zoe that charges at a maximum of 43kW (Q for Quick and claimed 210km range)

Zoe Q210 Engine Bay.jpg

Below. R240 is the revised Zoe with a motor built by Renault with a maximum 22kW charge rate and claimed 240km range.

Zoe R240 Engine Bay.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All Zoe's can use a Rapid but newer Zoe's come in two flavours. Firstly there is the original ones which will charge at 43kW then they brought out a more efficient motor but it can only Rapid charge at 22kW. How you know what is fitted with what motor I don't know. I brought a secondhand Zoe i dynamic intense and didn't know what motor it had but turns out to be the original as it charges at the higher rate. For our use it didn't make any difference.
However we are now looking at buying the longer range 40kWh and Q90 motor which Q means Quick but to the rest of us means Rapid. To confuse issues the new Zoe the slower charging car has a R90 motor (this will give you a longer range).
Ahhh I see thankyou for getting back to me, the salesman really confused me as I thought that they could all rapid charge. At the moment it'd need to be rapid charged every 2 days or so to get me to and from work until I move into my new house next year where I'll have a charge point fitted. I would love a 40kwh Zoe but my budget only stretches to a used 22kwh Zoe at the moment. The only thing that concerned me was the charging impossible warning when I tried to rapid charge. It did charge normally from a 7kwh charger later on though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only way I know of, to tell the difference without the physical 22kW\43kW charging time\rate is under the bonnet.
If designated with a Q then it has the 43kW rapid charge feature and R it has the 22kW maximum charge.

Below. Q210 is the early Zoe that charges at a maximum of 43kW (Q for Quick and claimed 210km range)

View attachment 15780

Below. R240 is the revised Zoe with a motor built by Renault with a maximum 22kW charge rate and claimed 240km range.

View attachment 15781
That's very handy thank you, how long would I be looking at an 80% charge in the R240 then? 1 hour instead of 30 minutes?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I would love a 40kwh Zoe but my budget only stretches to a used 22kwh Zoe at the moment.
Be quick, there are a few brand new 22kW Zoes available for £99 deposit and £99 per month, plus battery rental of £59. 2 year 6000 mile PCP, other mileages available. Call or PM @Badger in Black at DSG Renault.

Last of the 22kWh Zoe Offers - £99 Deposit / £99 a Month

DSG Renault - New and Used Renault Dealer in Morecambe - New and Used Renault Dealer in Barrow-In-Furness

·
Ecohound
1,291 Posts
That's very handy thank you, how long would I be looking at an 80% charge in the R240 then? 1 hour instead of 30 minutes?
In short yes as it is half the charging rate. So if using a Electric Highway Rapid the cost would be £12 as it is £6 per half hour. If you can find a handy destination charger that would be a better option. Or join Plugshare were you might find a friendly EV owner that might let you charge. Also Just park website have drives that you can hire with charging.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My last 30 min charge on the EH (32 mins usually) got me from 35% to 90% in my 22kW charging Zoe, obviously this will vary with state of charge and battery temp.
rapid.png

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice everyone, you've given me more insight than any salesman did. I'll only need to be using the rapid chargers for maybe 4 months until I can move into my house. Even then I'd probably use them every now and then. I'll be buying a Zoe then it looks like, the leaf is all well and good but despite a bigger battery it seems to use more power than the Zoe.

·
Ecohound
1,291 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone, you've given me more insight than any salesman did. I'll only need to be using the rapid chargers for maybe 4 months until I can move into my house. Even then I'd probably use them every now and then. I'll be buying a Zoe then it looks like, the leaf is all well and good but despite a bigger battery it seems to use more power than the Zoe.
From what I have read on here the Zoe actually has the bigger battery it is just different manufacturers use parameters whether total or usable. The Zoe's range deviates more due to temperature whereas the Leaf's appears more stable. (n)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts