Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Renault Zoe - Faulty R-Link unit
I wanted to share this with the forum in case it is of any use to someone who had the same issue.
About a month ago the R-link in the Zoe started to display a colourful Icon with "www.gotoyourlocaldealer.com" across it, but would not do anything else. The car worked fine, just the R-Link had failed. I had hoped, that as it was a common (just about) R-Link with the CLIO, it should be relatively simply to solve by the local dealer.

This issue took two visits to my local Westover Renault Dealer to diagnose the actual faulty part (both in May), and the third visit at the end of May changed to actual defective R-Link unit. The service process for the latter visit was not explicit enough from Renault HQ for the Local dealer to re connect the "Renault Connected Services" and hence enable the key feature I need, the calendar function for charging the car. The last visit in the first week of June was also not able to resolve the issue, and it seems the main diagnostic process was via email with Renault headquarters, which brings in delay and, no doubt, frustration to all. So although I picked up a nicely charged and cleaned car, it was in the same state as I brought it that morning.

Hence that evening, I decided to work it out myself, based on my experiences in a lifetime in IT Networking, services and applications. I resolved the issue in around an hour and recorded the process in the attached document. I send this to the local dealer, based on the issues they were having with Renault HQ to diagnose and resolve this issue, and suggested it might be a good idea to pass this to them and to other interested parties to save the poor Zoe owners multiple trips to the Garage.

Lastly, I am not complaining about the service from my local dealer, as this is a new type of car for them and there are precious few around to give them practice, it just seems a slow process to diagnose issues if the local manuals are limited and all there is are emails back and forth with Renault HQ.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Steve,

Would this work on my case to just activate it? I picked my car up last Wednesday and am still waiting for this welcome letter with the activation code on.

Adam

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Steve,

Would this work on my case to just activate it? I picked my car up last Wednesday and am still waiting for this welcome letter with the activation code on.

Adam
I had to ring customer services to get mine activated but did get through to a helpful guy.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Steve,

Adam
You'd think it being included on a "Welcome Letter" would mean it turning up sharpish after the purchase or included with the handover bumf..I've had my Zoe a week tomorrow,and found on my first long trip this past weekend that the system as handed over to me won't guide me to a chargepoint in the area I'm passing through! I had done some research and taken screenshots of possible charger locations pre-trip,but one of them turned out to be a Tesco Carpark (Coleraine)- got there,couldn't find a charger on site,.and very near closing time got into the shop to use their wifi for a phone app that wouldn't work without it..and a helpful assistant confirmed they didn't have one and offered directions.I emailed my sales guy about the code,and He's to get back to me tomorrow..

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My R-link and sat nav aspect is up and running but it couldn't find a charge point if it was connected to it ! For some reason it refuses to acknowledge the existence of ecotricity.

·
Registered
916 Posts
My R-link and sat nav aspect is up and running but it couldn't find a charge point if it was connected to it ! For some reason it refuses to acknowledge the existence of ecotricity.
I have a "ZE Services" button on the R-Link that's greyed out atm.so it's a crap system,it's not that not having an access code is going to improve things? Who's dealing with the provision of the chargepoint location info,Renault,or Tomtom?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I must admit I do feel slightly let down with the stuff like the r-link and the app to check the charging/pre-conditioning etc that is used to sell the car. I was also under the impression the car would remember each location you plug into and add it to the satnav (not the case). An edge connection is also antiquated on such a new car, 3G should have been the minimum and no DAB, what's that about!

Renault should really get current users together in a focus group to obtain first hand feedback. They need to as the Zoe isn't selling as well for some reason. The price is right, it's a great looking car, but I don't think people like the battery rental or a range that is sub 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I must admit I do feel slightly let down with the stuff like the r-link and the app to check the charging/pre-conditioning etc that is used to sell the car. I was also under the impression the car would remember each location you plug into and add it to the satnav (not the case). An edge connection is also antiquated on such a new car, 3G should have been the minimum and no DAB, what's that about!

Renault should really get current users together in a focus group to obtain first hand feedback. They need to as the Zoe isn't selling as well for some reason. The price is right, it's a great looking car, but I don't think people like the battery rental or a range that is sub 100 miles.
Agreed on all those points, but I really think Renault are not interested in feedback or selling Zoes (or is it Zoe - like sheep ?) They Don't advertise it and dealers aren't interested in selling them - our ex demonstrator had done 700 miles in just under a year - says it all really.

·
Registered
916 Posts

The range isn't an issue for Me,as my ICE use before was mainly commuting..I've had my Zoe a week,(Took delivery Tuesday) and I did a 72 mile trip as a warmup within the first couple of days of ownership and had a 160+trip under my belt by the weekend! I'm still waiting on my wallbox and want the ZE services up and running..it's not fun having a system that can tell me where a charger is before I leave home,but not find or navigate to one for me when I'm in the area of someplace new! I had to go into a Tesco (near closing time) to use their wifi for a smartphone app to guide me!

·
Registered
916 Posts

Isn't that why we're here,for Mutual support?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Maybe Renault, mitsubishi, nissan, vauxhall et al could show some proper commitment by monitoring this forum and responding to gripes ? Will Kia be any different with the new soul ? (And yes , I have tried ringing Renault!)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Agreed on all those points, but I really think Renault are not interested in feedback or selling Zoes (or is it Zoe - like sheep ?) They Don't advertise it and dealers aren't interested in selling them - our ex demonstrator had done 700 miles in just under a year - says it all really.
The EV roadshow where I first tried out a Zoe had admittedly been in my advertising blindspot..I wasn't the only one! The sales team where I bought my Zoe came out with congratulations for the new car..and one mentioned on the day of the Enniskillen event,He'd been listening to the radio and wondered "Shouldn't we be at that?!"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Steve,

My R-Link states 'activation in progress' for My Z.E Interactive and Live Services and has said this for over 2 days now since I collected my Zoe. Renault state it can take up to 72 hours but something doesnt feel right. Any ideas if this should be the case? Some functions work at the moment and some don't, for example My Z.E online works somewhat but always states vehicle is diconnected and unable to pre-condition and remote charge. Thanks, Rich

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Hi Steve,

My R-Link states 'activation in progress' for My Z.E Interactive and Live Services and has said this for over 2 days now since I collected my Zoe. Renault state it can take up to 72 hours but something doesnt feel right. Any ideas if this should be the case? Some functions work at the moment and some don't, for example My Z.E online works somewhat but always states vehicle is diconnected and unable to pre-condition and remote charge. Thanks, Rich
Hi @Rich S welcome to the forum. Good to see another Zoe owner on here. Activation of rlinnk etc does take a while but not as long as you describe. Have you had the necessary activation letter from Renault?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, thanks for replying. Yes the dealer sent me the activation code before I collected my car, ZE Online worked and it said vehicle connected no problems just without the interactive part. Then I collected the car, the dealer said they then activated the other services and that's where it all started to go wrong. Since then, My ZE online updates infrequently, says the vehicle is disconnected and doesnt let me chose to connect the vehicle. Feel like Renault dont really know what to do as they keep telling me to wait but can't explain whats happening.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi @Rich S and congratulations on the Zoe - I had to get on to Renault head office customer services to get mine working. They were very helpful then and managed to get it sorted in a couple of hours. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts