Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Renault Zoe - Replacement R-link, and how to make it work!

14K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  EV Rider 
#1 ·
Renault Zoe - Faulty R-Link unit
I wanted to share this with the forum in case it is of any use to someone who had the same issue.
About a month ago the R-link in the Zoe started to display a colourful Icon with "www.gotoyourlocaldealer.com" across it, but would not do anything else. The car worked fine, just the R-Link had failed. I had hoped, that as it was a common (just about) R-Link with the CLIO, it should be relatively simply to solve by the local dealer.

This issue took two visits to my local Westover Renault Dealer to diagnose the actual faulty part (both in May), and the third visit at the end of May changed to actual defective R-Link unit. The service process for the latter visit was not explicit enough from Renault HQ for the Local dealer to re connect the "Renault Connected Services" and hence enable the key feature I need, the calendar function for charging the car. The last visit in the first week of June was also not able to resolve the issue, and it seems the main diagnostic process was via email with Renault headquarters, which brings in delay and, no doubt, frustration to all. So although I picked up a nicely charged and cleaned car, it was in the same state as I brought it that morning.

Hence that evening, I decided to work it out myself, based on my experiences in a lifetime in IT Networking, services and applications. I resolved the issue in around an hour and recorded the process in the attached document. I send this to the local dealer, based on the issues they were having with Renault HQ to diagnose and resolve this issue, and suggested it might be a good idea to pass this to them and to other interested parties to save the poor Zoe owners multiple trips to the Garage.

Lastly, I am not complaining about the service from my local dealer, as this is a new type of car for them and there are precious few around to give them practice, it just seems a slow process to diagnose issues if the local manuals are limited and all there is are emails back and forth with Renault HQ.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Steve,

Would this work on my case to just activate it? I picked my car up last Wednesday and am still waiting for this welcome letter with the activation code on.

Adam
You'd think it being included on a "Welcome Letter" would mean it turning up sharpish after the purchase or included with the handover bumf..I've had my Zoe a week tomorrow,and found on my first long trip this past weekend that the system as handed over to me won't guide me to a chargepoint in the area I'm passing through! I had done some research and taken screenshots of possible charger locations pre-trip,but one of them turned out to be a Tesco Carpark (Coleraine)- got there,couldn't find a charger on site,.and very near closing time got into the shop to use their wifi for a phone app that wouldn't work without it..and a helpful assistant confirmed they didn't have one and offered directions.I emailed my sales guy about the code,and He's to get back to me tomorrow..

#7 ·
I have a "ZE Services" button on the R-Link that's greyed out atm.so it's a crap system,it's not that not having an access code is going to improve things? Who's dealing with the provision of the chargepoint location info,Renault,or Tomtom?

#10 ·
I must admit I do feel slightly let down with the stuff like the r-link and the app to check the charging/pre-conditioning etc that is used to sell the car. I was also under the impression the car would remember each location you plug into and add it to the satnav (not the case). An edge connection is also antiquated on such a new car, 3G should have been the minimum and no DAB, what's that about!

Renault should really get current users together in a focus group to obtain first hand feedback. They need to as the Zoe isn't selling as well for some reason. The price is right, it's a great looking car, but I don't think people like the battery rental or a range that is sub 100 miles.

#17 ·
Hi Steve,

My R-Link states 'activation in progress' for My Z.E Interactive and Live Services and has said this for over 2 days now since I collected my Zoe. Renault state it can take up to 72 hours but something doesnt feel right. Any ideas if this should be the case? Some functions work at the moment and some don't, for example My Z.E online works somewhat but always states vehicle is diconnected and unable to pre-condition and remote charge. Thanks, Rich

#19 ·
Hi, thanks for replying. Yes the dealer sent me the activation code before I collected my car, ZE Online worked and it said vehicle connected no problems just without the interactive part. Then I collected the car, the dealer said they then activated the other services and that's where it all started to go wrong. Since then, My ZE online updates infrequently, says the vehicle is disconnected and doesnt let me chose to connect the vehicle. Feel like Renault dont really know what to do as they keep telling me to wait but can't explain whats happening.

#23 ·
@Rich S - sorry about my tardiness in replying, I have been away on business trips recently (8 airports in the last 2 weeks alone). It sounds that you have been activated if "My ZE online updates infrequently" so I reckon this issue may be due to poor mobile coverage where you normally park the Zoe. We are in a poor area as well, and if I park at the side of the house the Zoe will not update to the My Services web page for unto 2 days. Then when we drive it out to a town, it all works fine again. I have noticed the Renault sites have some availability issues in the past (https://www.services.renault-ze.com can be intermittent and dependant on the browser you are using - sometimes clearing the data cache helps).
When you say the Mt ZE site "says the vehicle is disconnected and doesnt let me chose to connect the vehicle" what is the error, as I have not seen that before? If it permanently does not see your Zoe, then follow the process in the attachment and it should work, but if it is intermittent, then you may have another issue and best chat to the dealer.

#28 ·
That's for the real-time monitoring of the serviceability and availability of charge points, currently only available in France and Germany from R-Link AFAIK.

As for the rest, I've found talking directly to the Renault project team is far far easier than using dealerships as dealerships in the UK aren't Renault they are their own chains allowed to wear brands.

#25 ·
Zombie resurrection. There is an update for charge points, seems to work now in Satnav, although resolutely refuses to forget bloody petrol stations.

Reactions: cgiAlexis
#27 ·
Re: Steve Angell, post: 25214, member: 353 Renault Zoe - Faulty R-Link unit.
Good man. I can agree with other posts, there is a slight lack of enthusiasm at the dealers (Huddersfield for us). Yes, we had a test drive, but I think the newness has them concerned they amount to a headache, though I bet any money, the most problematic new tech is the R-link etc, medianav, et al, and not the drive electrics, which are the only system wholly peculiar to the EV models.
As for them not listening to users, that the other replies talk of, just think of your own background in IT - how many times have you had problems with software, and the UK people employed to support the usually-USA software applications or infrastructure or hardware, have really no clue about how to fix the issues, and worse, let the user be used as guinea-pigs without warning of teething problems?!

If giant software companies do it - it's at least that likely car manufacturer will. There's probably one little spotty-faced French student eating pizza late at night in a Paris suburb, who knows all about it - but they never let him go outside unaccompanied! Kidding, but you get the idea, and any IT person sure knows what I am talking about. At least for France, they will be only an hour's time difference, you don't have to wait until midday to try fruitlessly calling.

As I say, good man. This will help and the dealers ought to pass it around but they won't - how could a customer possibly know better, etc. Plus, collaborative work among them as competitors, is not a natural phenomenon, it's very sales-driven their environment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.