Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this problem. When I take handbrake off and try to drive the wheels get stuck as if handbrake is still on. Sometimes all four wheels and sometimes one or two. Had rear right wheel drag a few metres yesterday. The car has been checked before but they found no problem and yet it continues every now and then.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,803 Posts
It’s pretty normal on most cars. It’s because of moisture on the wheel because the brakes never really get warm.

Maybe leave the handbrake off?

·
Registered
204 Posts
if you leave pretty much any car for a length of time with the handbrake on, it will bind. You'll also find disks rusted, so the brakes sounds pretty rough till that is cleaned off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you leave pretty much any car for a length of time with the handbrake on, it will bind. You'll also find disks rusted, so the brakes sounds pretty rough till that is cleaned off.
I agree but I use it most days and this started after about 6 months from new.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
It’s pretty normal on most cars. It’s because of moisture on the wheel because the brakes never really get warm.

Maybe leave the handbrake off?
As above - they all do that Sir. ;) Leaving the handbrake off is sensible as long as you aren't on too steep a slope.

Being pedantic, it can't be all four wheels, just the rear ones. Presumably the front of the car lifts slightly before it releases if it is both rear wheels that lock?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,803 Posts
Being pedantic, it can't be all four wheels, just the rear ones.
I've never stopped to check on the Zoe, but the Lotus used to lock up all four discs. Even with the handbrake off.

On simple systems there can be enough residual pressure to keep the pads close to the disc. Not sure about the Zoe.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Zoe is a cable handbrake so a very different prospect to the Lotus

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
That the Zoe operates on the handrake shoes in a way that doesn't offset the shoes (or pads in the case of the Lotus) and hence push back the fluid in the pistons on footbrake circuit.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Try reversing a bit first? Can free up brakes in a slightly less clunky way.

Reactions: rikdud

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Can't you just leave these in P with the handbrake off?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts