Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all - first time posting here.

I am 28 years old, have had my license for 10 years but have never bought a car in the UK or driven too much. I bought a used Zoe with 10k miles and looked to get insurance. The zoe will be driven sparingly, do not envisage doing more than 4.5k miles per year and will be kept in a locked underground parking.

Now to the question... the insurance quotes I am getting are upwards of £850 per year... I have never had an accident but also have never taken insurance before on a car. This seems outrageously expensive based on what I am reading online and makes me think I am doing something wrong or being taken for a ride... My question is - is this normal and is there one particular insurer perhaps where I can get a cheaper quote? I tried LV based on an older post that I found on these forums and they gave me a £2,500 quote....

Thank you!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
just renewed mine (ze40 battery owned 2019 r110) yesterday.
35yo, 10year ncd (old insurer wontstack any more)
1 speed ticket last 5 years
1 non fault claim
+additional driver.

Things that may reduce quote that you arent aware:
Where you live (this is a biggie)
your job, check similar titles that would also fit your job. for example i do photography and videography for a living and my insurance would be like 40 quid more as a photographer than as a film producer and when i used to do cleaning for a living, was even more.
yearly mileage : dont put less than you do . some people put in 2-3k miles a year when they do more thinking they get cheaper quotes, but the cheapest on quotes is usually around 8k a year.

·
Registered
203 Posts
just renewed mine (ze40 battery owned 2019 r110) yesterday.
35yo, 10year ncd (old insurer wontstack any more)
1 speed ticket last 5 years
1 non fault claim
+additional driver.

View attachment 143823

Things that may reduce quote that you arent aware:
Where you live (this is a biggie)
your job, check similar titles that would also fit your job. for example i do photography and videography for a living and my insurance would be like 40 quid more as a photographer than as a film producer and when i used to do cleaning for a living, was even more.
yearly mileage : dont put less than you do . some people put in 2-3k miles a year when they do more thinking they get cheaper quotes, but the cheapest on quotes is usually around 8k a year.
Regrettably that seems about right when you don't have any no claims bonus. My quotes are around £250 but with a 65% NCB. This is because I have not made any claims in the past 10 years and don't have any points. I'm with LV and they have provided me with my lowest quote possibly because I have been with them for the past five years and had NCB before that. It could be that LV don't want to insure drivers without any history hence the quote. It's hard but you need to build up a good driving history even though you have been qualified for 10 years.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Regrettably that seems about right when you don't have any no claims bonus. My quotes are around £250 but with a 65% NCB. This is because I have not made any claims in the past 10 years and don't have any points. I'm with LV and they have provided me with my lowest quote possibly because I have been with them for the past five years and had NCB before that. It could be that LV don't want to insure drivers without any history hence the quote. It's hard but you need to build up a good driving history even though you have been qualified for 10 years.
i was with LV last year, but this year they wanted to auto renew at £420. even though they were 290 on comparison sites as a new customer with the same data. I dont go back to suppliers that hike prices for renewals. if everyone did that, they soon would stop doing it

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
No NCB.

Oddly enough I have 5 years NCB despite binning 2 cars in the last 5 years.

The trick is to only crash other peoples cars 😉

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,639 Posts
Hi all - first time posting here.

I am 28 years old, have had my license for 10 years but have never bought a car in the UK or driven too much. I bought a used Zoe with 10k miles and looked to get insurance. The zoe will be driven sparingly, do not envisage doing more than 4.5k miles per year and will be kept in a locked underground parking.

Now to the question... the insurance quotes I am getting are upwards of £850 per year... I have never had an accident but also have never taken insurance before on a car. This seems outrageously expensive based on what I am reading online and makes me think I am doing something wrong or being taken for a ride... My question is - is this normal and is there one particular insurer perhaps where I can get a cheaper quote? I tried LV based on an older post that I found on these forums and they gave me a £2,500 quote....

Thank you!!
£850 isn’t bad for your age, no bonus (you’re probably getting an introductory 30%) and being in a high risk area (presuming London from your username).

I was in the same position and getting that sort of quote. That’s why I went with ONTO as insurance was included in the subscription. Once I deducted insurance costs, the monthly rental fee was very reasonable for a new Zoe ZE40 R110.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
782 Posts
Try a comparison site. Also, put another named driver on the policy, preferably an older female friend, they don't need to drive it but that may bring the quotes down.
NCB is a bit of a misnomer ime, last year I got a quote for my wife on my car, same age, she's never had her own policy. Her quote was only about £20 more than my premium based on 18 years no claims, no points, accidents etc

·
Registered
139 Posts
I live in SW London, I’m a similar age and I have 4 years NCB I think. I paid £380 or so with go skippy last year I think.

With insurance at that price, I’m guessing you live in either north London near Tottenham or somewhere in east London where thefts / crime is a bit of a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Regrettably that seems about right when you don't have any no claims bonus. My quotes are around £250 but with a 65% NCB. This is because I have not made any claims in the past 10 years and don't have any points.
Depends on your age.

We just leased a new Zoe 50 for my wife as a second car and so she doesn’t have any no-claims bonus - fully comp with esure cost £187 (not including the £35 casback through Quidco).

Playing around with the comparison sites the difference between zero no claims bonus and 10 years plus no claims bonus was £20 or £30, so certainly not a 65% discount.

·
Registered
86 Posts
With insurance at that price, I’m guessing you live in either north London near Tottenham or somewhere in east London where thefts / crime is a bit of a problem.
Theft or damage to the car is the least of the issue with car insurance - have a car stolen or written off and the maximum loss is a few tens of thousands of pounds.

But hit someone and cause injury - now you are looking at the sky being the limit with a loss in the millions not being impossible.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
782 Posts
Another thing, often declaring the car is parked on a driveway overnight rather than in a garage bizarrely can also make the quotes cheaper. Declaring it parked on the street would definitely increase the premium though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another thing, often declaring the car is parked on a driveway overnight rather than in a garage bizarrely can also make the quotes cheaper. Declaring it parked on the street would definitely increase the premium though.
And adding additional drivers tends to reduce the cost, even if they never drive the car (note additional drivers not falsely claiming someone else is the main driver which is fraud).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts