Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I took delivery of my new Renault Zoe ZE50 (Iconic model) earlier this week.

The car charges okay while the car is set to charge immediately on the centre console.

However, I would like to charge during the night so that I can get Octopus Go in the near future.

I tried setting the car to charge on a schedule, but the car did not charge at all.

A letter came with the Chargemaster for Zoe owners and the last point on the letter says "if you wish to ensure that charging only happens within scheduled hours, then you can do so by programming the charging session within the car itself, and not setting any schedules in the smart Homecharge unit".

This is what I believe I have done, as there is not schedule set on the homecharge unit.

I tested yesterday, by setting a schedule on the Homecharge unit and the car to immediate. When doing this, the car charged at full speed in the hours set, and at a slower rate outside (1.4kW / 20p per hour according to the letter, the car estimated 20 hours at this rate).

So, the homecharge schedule is a 2nd best option, but the 20p (ish) per hour either side is extra cost (i.e. if I plug in before I go bed, it could be 3 hours before the 00:30 start time and 2 hours after the 04:30 end time.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
669 Posts
There are 3 options in the car.. immediate, delayed where u set a later start time... and the 3rd option the programmed one..
I believe some have problems with the scheduled (3rd) option but if you use option 2 ( delayed start ) and give it a start time that should work, although it will keep going untill you stop it or the battery is full.
It will default to option one after you have charged up during the night so you will need to go to option 2 each night you want to charge on your cheap rate.
I only have an economy 7 meter that gives me 7 hours at 8p/kw I'm not sure what times or rate your supplier gives you.

·
Registered
267 Posts
We have used Option 2 each time and it always works. Ours is an old chargemaster unit so no programming anyway

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both, I will try Option 2 (Delayed Start).

I presume that if I set it after work on a Friday Night to 00:30, then it will start at that time Saturday morning (i.e. it does not need to be the same day) or would I need to set it to 23:30 for example?

·
Registered
669 Posts
You are correct .. when you set it on Friday perhaps at 1800 it will activate when the clock gets to 0030, which will be the Saturday.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,360 Posts
Mine seems to work in programmed mode.
I've set the program to be 00:30 -> 04:30 MTWTFSS (same times 7 days a week) as shown on page 1.19 of the manual.
Note that the manual says "You can't confirm a charging programme unless you select a day of the week".

According to the Renault app, the car wakes up as scheduled every night and goes back to sleep around 00:35 if not plugged in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine seems to work in programmed mode.
I've set the program to be 00:30 -> 04:30 MTWTFSS (same times 7 days a week) as shown on page 1.19 of the manual.
The car wakes up as scheduled every night according to the app, and (according to the Renault app) goes back to sleep around 00:35 if not plugged in.
Hi,

Do you have the new ZE50 Zoe or an earlier model?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has been mentioned that the days are off by one in the schedule. I've set mine to every day just to be sure and it has been working fine.
Thank you, I have just tried the schedule to charge from 11:15 to 12:15 every day of the week and it has now successfully started charging.

That's perfect, exactly what I wanted to do. Now I can set it to charge from 00:30 to 04:30 and it would work when I get Octopus Go.

Hopefully there will be a software update to fix this glitch, but at least there is a workaround.

Thank you everyone and @electric_dreams for the information, really helpful.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4 Posts
I have the ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge (1 month now). It is confusing to have all three components (car, charger and Myrenault app) having scheduling abilities and they can interfere. The simplest way I found was to use just the car as the scheduler - delete or turn off any schedule on the app or chargemaster and just set up a program or programs in the car. I am on Octopus Go (5p unit from 00:30 to 04:30) and set up one program in-car for that time range for EVERY day of the week and leave it permanently on that. If I want to charge I just plug it in, turn the chargemaster key and it goes ahead just for that time. If I don't plug it in, nothing happens and there are no problems. They all build in functions and call it 'flexibility' and 'intelligent' but it just adds layers of complexity. The old KISS principle seems to be ignored these days...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,360 Posts
I have the ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge (1 month now). It is confusing to have all three components (car, charger and Myrenault app) having scheduling abilities and they can interfere. The simplest way I found was to use just the car as the scheduler - delete or turn off any schedule on the app or chargemaster and just set up a program or programs in the car. I am on Octopus Go (5p unit from 00:30 to 04:30) and set up one program in-car for that time range for EVERY day of the week and leave it permanently on that. If I want to charge I just plug it in, turn the chargemaster key and it goes ahead just for that time. If I don't plug it in, nothing happens and there are no problems. They all build in functions and call it 'flexibility' and 'intelligent' but it just adds layers of complexity. The old KISS principle seems to be ignored these days...
Exactly how I did it. (y)

·
Registered
286 Posts
It is confusing to have all three components (car, charger and Myrenault app) having scheduling abilities and they can interfere. The simplest way I found was to use just the car as the scheduler - delete or turn off any schedule on the app
The MyRenault app and the car are the same. If you switch it off on one it'll remove it from the other!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4 Posts
I checked and I see what you mean, but when I tried the app in the first few days, the descriptions of 'Departure time' for start charge time and 'for' for completion didn't make sense, added to which the communication with the car seemed very unreliable - it hardly ever worked. Overall I can see why the MyRenault app gets such a low score in the android store....

·
Registered
286 Posts
I checked and I see what you mean, but when I tried the app in the first few days, the descriptions of 'Departure time' for start charge time and 'for' for completion didn't make sense, added to which the communication with the car seemed very unreliable - it hardly ever worked. Overall I can see why the MyRenault app gets such a low score in the android store....
After fiddling with the settings along with my phone whilst sitting in the car, I've determined that in the app:
Departure time = Start time (it looks like they've fixed this in one of the updates as it does actually say "start time" now)
for = duration of charge (not end time, which is what I thought it was)

However changing the settings in the car recently it took a couple of days(!) before that was reflected on the app, so I can see what you mean about unreliable communication.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts