Renault Zoe 2019 R110
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Renault zoe late 68 plate and wondered does it have B mode thanks

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
421 Posts
My 68 plate ZE40 does not have a dedicated B mode. It does have a fair amount of regen (perfect balance of regen in my opinion) but it can't do proper one-pedal drive, nor can you adjust the amount of regen you get while "coasting".

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 2019 R110
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it only re gens when you take your foot off the accelerator or slow down...is there any way to get the car to save more energy or is it just eco mode.
Thanks

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,656 Posts
So it only re gens when you take your foot off the accelerator or slow down...is there any way to get the car to save more energy or is it just eco mode.
Thanks
Yes. Learn to coast with the car.

Using more regen is actually less efficient.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have a 2019 Renault zoe late 68 plate and wondered does it have B mode thanks
The ZE20 and ZE40 (The one you have) do not have a dedicated B mode. Only the new ZE50 does this.
You can regen. a small amount of energy by simply lifting off the accelerator, and can do even more by lightly pressing the brake pedal. You may actually be able to feel there is a not so smooth point where it switches from using more regenerative braking to where it suddenly engages the friction brakes instead.

As cah197 said it's actually better to try and coast more, planning ahead and needing to brake less. This is one of the reasons why several people have claimed that the ZE40 actually seems to be a little more efficient than the new model

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
648 Posts
As said above it regens off throttle but not as strong as a B-Mode, if you toggle the dash display to show power in KW you can see how much regen it does coasting down hills and under hard braking, generally about 5 - 10 Kw coasting down hills, up to 44 KW under hard braking from high speed. The display goes from green to blue when its regenerating.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50
248 Posts
The Zoe regenerates under braking. If you want more regeneration, press the brake pedal.

The brakes on the Zoe are actually quite smart. They monitor the battery to see how much charging power it can take at any given moment. When you press the brake pedal, it tells the motor to regenerate up to the battery's capacity to take the charge. If you're demanding more braking than the battery can take, it gets the "real" brakes to do the remainder.

Next time you're out in the car, try it. Brake very gently until you stop. Just before you stop, the motor will get to a point where it can't really generate any power. The brakes then switch to all mechanical braking. On my ZE20, it is not perfectly smooth and you can feel the transition. Maybe they've finessed it a bit for later cars.

B mode just changes the amount of regen it does when you have your foot off both pedals. Some people like that, but it isn't "better".

The best way to drive with the least power is not to regenerate at all. Regeneration is not 100% efficient, though it is of course better than nothing. Better still is to do it the old fashioned way. If you see a red light ahead, don't go at full speed then stamp on the brakes. Don't even lift of a little early and brake gently. Lift off the throttle very early so that you don't have to brake at all, except to come to a complete halt.

Bonus nerd points here for using the instantiations power display. Keep your foot just lightly on the throttle so that your instantaneous power consumption is 0kW. That way you're not using any power, not are you losing any in the regenerate / charge cycle. Just remember to keep your eyes on the road not the dashboard.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
596 Posts
As said above it regens off throttle but not as strong as a B-Mode, if you toggle the dash display to show power in KW you can see how much regen it does coasting down hills and under hard braking, generally about 5 - 10 Kw coasting down hills, up to 44 KW under hard braking from high speed. The display goes from green to blue when its regenerating.
Found this interesting , your post.
so i have a ZE20 (or Q210 to be precise) - so on mine would it be 5Kw - 10Kw coasting down hills, up to 22 KW under hard braking from high speed?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50
248 Posts
so i have a ZE20 (or Q210 to be precise) - so on mine would it be 5Kw - 10Kw coasting down hills, up to 22 KW under hard braking from high speed?
I wouldn't have thought so. The Q210 can charge at 40kW and is able to take 40kW in regenerative braking.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,272 Posts
If that's all your car manages I'd say there is a fault, or you've changed something in one of your many tweaking sessions. ;)

My Q210 would easily do mid-40s on had braking when the pack was discharged enough.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If that's all your car manages I'd say there is a fault, or you've changed something in one of your many tweaking sessions. ;)

My Q210 would easily do mid-40s on had braking when the pack was discharged enough.
no I was saying my car does that - i was asking the question 'does that mean that?' :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
... you've changed something in one of your many tweaking sessions. ;)
Only thing that would be able to change that is UBP (uncoupled braking pedal) - and you cannot change those settings at all on DDT4ALL - DDT is good , but there are still some area's of the car you cannot change parameters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts