Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen a new kangoo 33kwh in the flesh. I keep looking but nothing on the trader and no demos at dealers. The dealers are still trying to clear the old ones. The old ones only charged at 3kw and the new one charges at 7kw.

Got me thinking, they really messed up. Had they fitted that van with the zoe drive train, 41kwh battery and rapid charger, every hairy a**sed builder/courier/delivery driver in the uk would want one.

I would have bought one instead of a Citroën Berlingo diesel.

How could renault have got it so wrong and when will they get the kangoo right?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
It baffles me - the Zoe drivetrain and charger are ready-made and ready to go. Why not just bung the same kit in the Kangoo? Granted the Zoe batteries are a specific shape to fit the floor and seats, but surely they could fit it into the higher Kangoo without an issue? Why design a new 33kWh battery and separate charging unit!? Surely it costs more to do it that way.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It baffles me - the Zoe drivetrain and charger are ready-made and ready to go. Why not just bung the same kit in the Kangoo? Granted the Zoe batteries are a specific shape to fit the floor and seats, but surely they could fit it into the higher Kangoo without an issue? Why design a new 33kWh battery and separate charging unit!? Surely it costs more to do it that way.
"The design of this French electrical device is logical in all respects and makes perfect sense to me". Often said.

·
Zoe plus Fluence
57 Posts
I can explain it, probably. Each vehicle is slightly different so the designers can experiment to see which works best. At least Renault are delivering product whereas many of their competition are doing their level best to avoid selling any so they can claim there's no market. Try walking into a showroom and find somebody to take your order.....we have a diesel over here, sir.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
33,191 Posts
I've made enquiries at Renault dealers and at fleet electric, got zip zero back from anyone about it.

Is it just a British thing to make doing business as difficult as it could be?

My generalised experience of trying to do business in the UK:-
"Here, have my money for your product"
"Nope, no thank you, we don't just sell stuff like that, what sort of business do you think we are?"
"Would you consider possibly letting me talk a little about the sorts of things you might sell if you were the sort of business that sells stuff?"
"Might do. Give us all your personal details and we'll store it for junk mailings, but don't expect us to call you back, or anything like that. We don't want to get that sort of reputation."
"So, er, why do you put me on a mailing list if you don't actually want me to be a customer?"
"Well, er, y'see, um, er.... sorry, got another call, got to go.... we'll call you back"
"But you've not got my number yet..."
...click...brrrrrrr......

·
Registered
205 Posts
I walked off the street into renault exeter because they had an ex demo 3kw charge version quite cheap
I asked the guy some leading questions and when I told him where I lived and what I do he suggested I buy a diesel kangoo. I left shortly afterwards. I have bought a leaf but I really wanted a kangoo crew van. Utilitarian, pleasant to drive, but no fast charger. Had it had that I would have put up with the silly battery rental I think because the leaf, whilst pleasant to drive, is very much a car. I prefer the seating position, utility rubber floor, etc etc etc
All I can think is they don't want to make it truly viable, they are just punting them out for the French P . O

·
Registered
182 Posts
The only way I could get any dealer to sell me an electric van was to buy outright (no finance - straight bank transfer) at the end of the month. Before that I had terrible trouble getting callbacks etc. Put simply if Renault/Peugeot produced a rapid charge small van with a decent sized battery pack it would hit diesel sales, and we can't have that.

The only options are the new 33 Kangoo but no rapid charge, or the Peugeot Partner, rapid charging but only charges to 80% on a rapid so real world is 60-70miles. A full charge at home is 90-105miles. Whatever you do they seem to restrict the usability over a diesel.

·
Premium Member
11,972 Posts
They do have to balance battery size and load capacity. No point having a 200 mile range van if all you can carry is one box of Dorittos.

LEVC are going to build vans based on their REX Taxi technology, which is probably a good solution until battery density increases and weight decreases.

·
Premium Member
11,972 Posts
a rapid charge small van with a decent sized battery pack it would hit diesel sales, and we can't have that.
Manufacturers claim customers don't want to waste even 30 mins in working day doing charging. I am not saying that is correct, but that is what they say...

·
Registered
182 Posts
They do have to balance battery size and load capacity. No point having a 200 mile range van if all you can carry is one box of Dorittos.
My Partner (and I believe the Kangoo) has the same payload as the diesel, once you take out the diesel engine and gearbox etc, replace it with the battery and motor etc, you end up at the same place. From this point adding a larger battery would hit payload but does anyone ever run at full payload all the time? In my work I never get anywhere near it, for me it's load volume not weight that is important.

Manufacturers claim customers don't want to waste even 30 mins in working day doing charging. I am not saying that is correct, but that is what they say...
My Partner took 17mins from 15% - 80% at a rapid yesterday.

The best of everything would be a 44kWh, rapid charge, 'i' Kangoo. Perfectly possible but I don't think that's going to happen...

·
Premium Member
11,972 Posts
Renault are building their EV vans aimed at large fleet customers not sole traders and small businesses. Although there are enlighten customers like @NotQuiteCumbrian they are currently perceived by manufacturers to be rare.

With changing attitude and awareness of EVs perhaps this will change. Also, bear in mind you can buy a rapid charging van with battery included from Nissan but I don't think they are selling well.

Reactions: andrew*debbie

·
Registered
119 Posts
Also, bear in mind you can buy a rapid charging van with battery included from Nissan but I don't think they are selling well.
The kindest way to express this is that the env200 is low on their priority list - or more bluntly, they don't want it to get too popular. It never got the 30kWh battery and is *much* more expensive, real-world, than the Leaf it is based on.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Certainly Peugeot are loosening their hold on their EVs. As a sole trader, I was even offered the new model when I went to view the one I bought. No major changes though just a face lift really. They are also (actively) including the Tepee in the new EV line up so should appeal to the mountain bikers and dog owners etc.

I will add that both the van and Tepee models have been available since 2013 but they didn't exactly tell anyone.

·
Premium Member
11,972 Posts
Reactions: Mangan

·
Registered
197 Posts
My experience over the weekend was very similar....dealers don't want to sell you an electric van. Mine did their best to convince me I needed a pre reg diesel. Even trying to find a new Kangoo 33 to test drive would mean a trip to Maidstone in Kent from North Essex. I've been a Leaf driver for 4 years and despite all the recent EV press interest, I have to say the majority of dealers are still in the dark ages. We run two diesel Berlingos for our flower shop and I've been chomping at the bit for an electric van with sufficient range and then finally when one is out no one seems interested in selling!

·
Super Moderator
12,234 Posts
Renault are building their EV vans aimed at large fleet customers not sole traders and small businesses..
This.

Renault sells most of the vans to the French Post Office. Le Post didn't want the Chameleon charger.
Le Post requirements is probably why Kangoo Z.E. has 33kWh battery instead of 40.

·
Super Moderator
12,234 Posts
d I've been chomping at the bit for an electric van with sufficient range and then finally when one

The new 40kWh battery for the 100% electric e-NV200 offers a 60% extended range of up to 280km (174miles) NEDC[1]. And, with no increase in size of the battery itself, customers will face no compromise in either load space or payload.​

The new e-NV200 equipped with upgraded 40kWh battery will be available to order before the end of 2017.​

Nissan World Premiere of New Longer range e-NV200 van

·
Registered
294 Posts
My experience over the weekend was very similar....dealers don't want to sell you an electric van. Mine did their best to convince me I needed a pre reg diesel. Even trying to find a new Kangoo 33 to test drive would mean a trip to Maidstone in Kent from North Essex. I've been a Leaf driver for 4 years and despite all the recent EV press interest, I have to say the majority of dealers are still in the dark ages. We run two diesel Berlingos for our flower shop and I've been chomping at the bit for an electric van with sufficient range and then finally when one is out no one seems interested in selling!
No sir, you don't want an electric van. You want one of these nice diesel ones.
I can do you a deal.
No, sir, the deal is on the diesel one.
Would you like a service plan with that? I can do you a deal. Today only. But I'll need to speak with my manager first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts