Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had VW offer me a warranty renewal of £191 for my Golf GTE for another 15,000 miles. This is on a 5 year old car and I have had the warranty cover in place before with no claims. The prior quote was £260.

Not a bad price for a car that is older and with a complex hybrid drivetrain: clearly, VW have confidence in the reliability of these vehicles now.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I just had VW offer me a warranty renewal of £191 for my Golf GTE for another 15,000 miles. This is on a 5 year old car and I have had the warranty cover in place before with no claims. The prior quote was £260.

Not a bad price for a car that is older and with a complex hybrid drivetrain: clearly, VW have confidence in the reliability of these vehicles now.
I renewed mine twice with the top level “All Component” cover.
The car was only covering about 8 to 9 thousand a year.
I think the cover was just over £200 on each ocassion.
I would take the offer is I was you.
Helps you sleep better at night knowing that if some thing expensive fails, then a huge bill is not going to jump up and bite you on the arse.
Of course a full main dealer service history record will support any expensive warranty claim.
This could account for the reasonable price for the renewal ?.
They are pretty assured of the service work also !.
Yes, I know legally it can be done by an independent service agent, but the main dealer service records will go a LONG way I have found.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,927 Posts
I am looking at this for my car as it approaches it's third birthday.

I, too, was impressed by the warranty cost quoted £235. Then I realised that the High Voltage stuff is still under its eight year warranty and this warranty extension would only need to cover the ICE bits.

I took the trouble to look at the list of items covered by the All Component warranty and similarly the HV warranty. By my reading, the HV one really only covers the battery itself. The AC one specifically excludes any HV components. I think that leaves a yawning gap in the cover around the motor and control system area.

Having said all that, I think I will take out the AC warranty anyway.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ok daft question but did you all approach VW or did they contact you before your warranty ran out?
My 2015 GTE has the 5 year extended warranty on it and is due to expire in July of this year. Due to a number of factors I’m going to try and hold on to the car for another year but only if I can get a VW warranty.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I just had VW offer me a warranty renewal of £191 for my Golf GTE for another 15,000 miles. This is on a 5 year old car
As with all insurance, a low price means that it's either going to be a cheap fix or very unlikely to happen. In this case it is only covering a small proportion of the car, mainly old tech, with the high risk hybrid electrics uncovered. I don't see much evidence of problems with the GTE.
Having said that, I'd still take it and pool the risk.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only the battery (and components within the battery) are covered by the HV warranty.
Drive inverter, e-motor, DC-DC converter, contactors, air con, PTC cabin heater, etc. are not covered.
Neither are any of the control systems besides the controller in the battery (which is what failed on my car due to water ingress).

·
Registered
34 Posts
By my reading, the HV one really only covers the battery itself. The AC one specifically excludes any HV components. I think that leaves a yawning gap in the cover around the motor and control system area.
Where is HV excluded from the All Component cover? I don't see that listed here: https://www.insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/media/1107/35239_vw_extended-warranty_dec19_nav_v1.pdf

I'd be surprised if the motor and control systems were excluded from the AC policy, because they're specifically included in the Named Component cover (page 10 of the above linked PDF):

Components covered:
- Electric and hybrid drive: traction motor for electric drive, control unit for electric motor, power and control electronics for electric drive, impulse rotor, rotor position sensor, and sender for traction motor temperature.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Where is HV excluded from the All Component cover? I don't see that listed here: https://www.insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/media/1107/35239_vw_extended-warranty_dec19_nav_v1.pdf

I'd be surprised if the motor and control systems were excluded from the AC policy, because they're specifically included in the Named Component cover (page 10 of the above linked PDF):
To be honest, l was of the same opinion ?.
I am sure when reading through it a while back, that all control modules are included also ?.
My car had ( like many others ) had the HV pack removed and checked when the car was about four years old.
Having the pack physically checked after four years with no faults found is reassuring that there was no major issue’s there !.
So that’s a “bit of a tick in the box”.
For around £200 it’s worth going for I think.
You don’t get much at a main agents for £200 so even a small job done will return your outlay.
I was willing to spend the money in the hope that I never needed to make a claim, but it’s a good place to start making a claim IF you have full dealer service history and the extended warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts