Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Evezy referral: 70142
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys.
I've had a tethered 'dumb' home charger since around 2015 - free charger (BP Chargemaster) that came with a Zoe PCP. It's been working fine, but lately seems to be giving up. When I connect my vehicle, all sorts of errors come up (failed, no charger connected etc), the car keeps trying to charge countless times. Eventually it may connect and start charging half an hour or later. It then seems to charge for a while before disconnecting and the process starting again.

I've tried with two EVs and both have the same problem.

Seems to be some sort of 'communication' error.

Would it be better to change the charger altogether or have an electrician try to repair it? If it's a problem with the cable, can these be changed or does the whole wallbox need to be replaced?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,594 Posts
If it’s a Zoe having issues then check the RCBO.

An electrician will cost you as much as a new charge point trying to diagnose the issue, so you could just wire in a new one and avoid the hassle.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hi guys.
I've had a tethered 'dumb' home charger since around 2015 - free charger (BP Chargemaster) that came with a Zoe PCP. It's been working fine, but lately seems to be giving up. When I connect my vehicle, all sorts of errors come up (failed, no charger connected etc), the car keeps trying to charge countless times. Eventually it may connect and start charging half an hour or later. It then seems to charge for a while before disconnecting and the process starting again.

I've tried with two EVs and both have the same problem.

Seems to be some sort of 'communication' error.

Would it be better to change the charger altogether or have an electrician try to repair it? If it's a problem with the cable, can these be changed or does the whole wallbox need to be replaced?

Thanks.
You must have a supply to the old charger already; is it a 32A supply (or at least adequate for any anticipated need) ?

It might be a easy fix to disconnect old unit and use the cable to feed a 32A 'commando' socket then buy an Ohme unit to plug into it. Depending on your DIY proficiency and your interpretation of Building Rags part P you might feel able to do that yourself or if not it shouldn't cost a bomb to hire an electrician.

Reactions: Harry6

·
Registered
98 Posts
Visually inspect the tethered plug inside the pins for corrosion or debris. Could be something simply lodged or corrosion causing a poor contact.

·
Premium Member
11,980 Posts
Based on age it is possible your has the capacitors fitted incorrectly. There is a long thread on it below.
@andyfras Was offering a repair service for units out of warranty ‐ Andy?

Alternatively, you could buy a replacement unit and get an electrician to replace, mine made a nominal charge to do so (I got a PodPoint). The issue is that once replaced it should be tested at the car connector and few electricians are able to do so. An example box to do it is below and hopefully more will buy them.

·
Premium Member
11,980 Posts
Visually inspect the tethered plug inside the pins for corrosion or debris. Could be something simply lodged or corrosion causing a poor contact.
Good suggestion. I used Maplin switch contact cleaning on my public Type 1 cable when it got a bit flakey and it fixed it. However, I suspect in this case the charging point is failing.

·
Registered
Evezy referral: 70142
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it’s a Zoe having issues then check the RCBO.

An electrician will cost you as much as a new charge point trying to diagnose the issue, so you could just wire in a new one and avoid the hassle.
Have tried it with a Zoe and Ioniq. The Zoe fails to charge completely but the Ioniq keeps trying and eventually starts a charge.
You must have a supply to the old charger already; is it a 32A supply (or at least adequate for any anticipated need) ?

It might be a easy fix to disconnect old unit and use the cable to feed a 32A 'commando' socket then buy an Ohme unit to plug into it. Depending on your DIY proficiency and your interpretation of Building Rags part P you might feel able to do that yourself or if not it shouldn't cost a bomb to hire an electrician.
Yes have a 32A supply to it.
I cleaned the tethered cable using special contact solution. Can’t say it made any difference unfortunately.
Yes, I'm still repairing these units.
@andyfras , which areas do you cover?

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
702 Posts
All areas, if you can send the charger or its circuit-board to me. I am in Fleet, Hampshire (M3 J5/4a).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts