Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the bosses habit of closing the rear hatch using the badge, the + and - signs have come off.
What I'd like to ask the knowledgeable is just what to use to stick them back. The original looks like a black rubber compound , its slightly proud - is this a type of RTV silicone?

Motor vehicle Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Metal

Any advice welcome, though fixing barbed wire to the badge is disapproved of. 馃槇

Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
I would try to clean up the car paintwork in the area, after taking a template of where they go exactly, then clean off the back of the missing parts and look for some double-sided foam tape. I'm sure you can get different thicknesses so try and get the nearest to match the part still on the car. Stick the tape to the back of the badge bits and trim carefully with a sharp Stanley knife/scalpel, finally clean the area carefully with some alcohol-based cleanser (Isopropylalcohol or nail varnish remover) and affix the missing parts correctly aligned. Once replaced get some yoghurt and smear a little bit on it to make it look as though it has been dive-bombed by the local flying wildlife (may need reapplying just before each encounter).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hadn't thought of using 3m VHB tape which would be the one to use, good call. I might even have some :unsure:

Reactions: h8ten

Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
You reminded me that I'm needing some double-sided foam tape to fix the mudflaps to my 3, more to fill the gap and stop grit getting between the flap and the wheel arch as they are currently held on by plastic rivets.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did have a little VHB tape left over from another job so fixed the car.
With this tape - Clean then clean again, use IPA IsoPropyl Alcohol not Bitter!
Word of warning to others, this stuff sticks, you have one go at getting it in place. Alignment is actually easier than I thought it would be, on inspection the A down strokes define the horizontal position and the base of the outer A legs the vertical position.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Electric blue Font

Next problem is fixing the boss. :whistle:

Registered
Ioniq Project 45, e-Niro4+
We had the line with either the "+" or "-" symbol fall off some months ago, and glued it back on. Sorry, can't remember what with, and reading this thread had to go and look if it's still there. It is!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts