Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
All door buttons should be unlock something, but you need to be close to the transmitters, located in the front handles only. I assume there may be another transmitter associated with the tailgate, but for some reason that switch doesn't seem to give any trouble - touch wood!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ok Guys, these switches are now available on eBay! Search on "Vauxhall Ampera, Opel Ampera, Chevrolet Volt Mk1, Door Button Switch Repair Kit" and you'll find them. Just hope I can keep up with the demand ! :unsure:

Thanks for all the advice & support! Much appreciated. Profits going (slowly) into my BEV fund ! :)
Just ordered one from you.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think only my driver door works if I have a remote on me should any button unlock the car or that door in particular
This is programmable - refer to the driver's handbook - depending on model year, this can be found somewhere around page: 87 in "Remote locking, unlocking, starting" - you can usually unlock all the doors by pressing the door button twice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Andy! you're a star. Both fronts done in just over an hour, no scratches no damage, used the rubber bung from the passenger side on the driver's side. Will pick up another one the next time I'm passing Vauxhall. Keeping the two Switches for the back until they decide to pack in.
Thanks again .....James

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't bother going to Vauxhall for a replacement 16mm rubber bung, they are £6 each and they take weeks to come from Germany. eBay on the other hand £3.50 for 50 and take 2 days

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Hmm, I think I'll investigate that and add a bung to the kit I sell! Thx for the pointer. Haven't yet done my own driver's side, as handle was changed under wty 3 years ago, & yet to fail!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Two things:
1) I have a supply of plenty of the 16mm rubber bungs for anyone wanting to fill that hole in the driver's door. Message me your details & I'll post one. I now supply one as part of the kits I sell, though haven't updated the photos to show this.

2) I've taken my adverts for door-button kits, Voltshelf supports, and Bootclips for the trampoline cargo-cover off eBay. I'm in 2 minds about this; I'm not financially dependent on the small profit from sales. If I continue selling during the Coronavirus pandemic, I can package up the items & ask my wife to drop them in the postbox as she goes past on her once a week trip to buy food. I'm in effect locked down at home; no reason to go out, so I don't.

But, would resuming sales on eBay be putting anyone at risk? Is there a chance that at the far end, some deliveryman in USA/Finland/Spain/lots-of-other-unexpected-countries might make a single trip to deliver a single package, and in the process increase the risk of C-virus transmission? Over the last 8 months I've been posting kits, I've averaged 20 Large Letters per month.

These kits are a luxury item in the current situation. Maybe fitting them is useful therapy for those now stuck at home, wondering how to fill their idle time? "Hmm, maybe I'll fix that pesky switch, need something to do to keep me sane".

What do you all think plz? If there's no risk, I'd prefer to resume sales, gives me a bit more interest in my life. And if others want these kits, why shouldn't they be able to get them? But I have plenty of other projects to pursue, so it's no biggy.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,283 Posts
I would keep supplying them, folk that order will be getting other post and will deal with it in the same way. You could wrap the items in an anti-bacterial wipe if you wanted to add a bit of protection to the buyer.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi Andy, I am being cautious about post and am about to put up a notice requesting no junk mail etc following a local council rag being delivered today. I guess someone may have earned a few bob for doing it (which is good) but they took a risk to themselves and also that they may spread the virus, also I didn't know whether there was a risk handling it myself. But post that I'm expecting just gets opened and the outer disposed of PDQ, then wash hands before doing anything else. I trust the delivery "professionals" have had correct training and are given PPE of some sort.

On that basis I'd carry on if I were you.

btw as an aside did you see the BBC news article yesterday (?) about a guy in Wales who has published the design for a 3D printed door opener? I thought of you... :)

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Thx for the feedback,all. I'll wati a week and see what's happening, may get some more feedback here.

The door openers look interesting - google found me i.materialise.com - but the prices are high! Not sure our local hopital would want to pay this much. Problem for me is, I could maybe make one a day of these handles, but how to get in touch with the righ contact who would know what they want, size, and whether they have time to fit them etc. I'll see if I can email them...

edit: email sent, will see what happens. Quite possible they're snowed under preparing ventilators/new beds & have no time for such small items?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Thx for that link! Looks a far simpler item, and one that could easily fall off/get stolen whatever. I don't see how it clips on firmly enough to stay put reliably. I suggested one of the clamping ones to my wife, and got a firm "no" ! She really doesn't like many of my constructions! This is our door-bell, my first-ever house add-on, which has 2 independent switches totally water-protected inside. I had thought of painting the outer part pale pink, and the inner button a darker pink...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was just thinking that replacing the switches could be a job to keep me busy, let me know if you decide to start supply again and I'll happily purchase. We have a safe routine in place for the opening of the post so no concerns with that! :)

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Seems the general opinion is it's ok to keep internet-based business going. So I'll restart the offers of switches. Give me a few minutes to check inventory etc. I may well only go to the post once a week, so can't guarantee I'll be posting out super-fast as usual.

edit: Ok, switches, boot-clips & Voltshelf supports now back on eBay! Roll up, roll up!

61 - 77 of 77 Posts