Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Leaf 12v battery has failed again and is out of warranty. It is over 3yrs old so should be replaced.

Just wondering what others are replacing theirs with. Is it the best price or are going for something of more quality/price. Since there is no cranking there is presumably less stress on it.

So far I have come up with this
B31 Varta Blue Dynamic Car Battery 12V 45Ah (545155033) (154)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
@donald just seen these posts about the VRLA (or whatever) batteries, and had a quick look at your past posts as well about them, and can't help wondering if they would be a problem avoider for the Ampera ? mines a 2013 so I think that means it looks after the battery better anyway, but for a £100 price, would it be a good investment to keep the car a long time do you think ?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,016 Posts
I can't really directly advise anyone to deviate from the manufacturer's standard, of course. I can only advise you to consider my comments and decide for yourself.

All I would say is that I was in the process of getting one for the Ampera myself, and would certainly have done so (I just happened to sell it first).

Personally, I would always look to follow my own advice here. If for no other reason than it is simply more efficient. All the other benefits are cherries on that cake.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I'm with Donald with regards to replacing wet cell lead acid with VRLA AGM for EV applications. I did exactly that back in December. The replacement battery is half the size and weight. Of course I had to modify the terminal connections.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
291 Posts
If your 12v battery dies then go for a 'guaranteed for life' battery from Halfords.
Problem solved!

·
23,016 Posts
If your 12v battery dies then go for a 'guaranteed for life' battery from Halfords.
Problem solved!
That means 'guaranteed to be replaced' as opposed to 'guaranteed to not leave you in the deep shyte'.

Who gives a toss if Halfords will replace your battery if you find yourself stranded in the middle of nowhere on a dark wet windy night with small kids in tow?

·
Registered
291 Posts
That means 'guaranteed to be replaced' as opposed to 'guaranteed to not leave you in the deep shyte'.

Who gives a toss if Halfords will replace your battery if you find yourself stranded in the middle of nowhere on a dark wet windy night with small kids in tow?
That could happen with any battery.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Also Halfords will test the battery and tell you its OK according to their tester. So either way your screwed.

·
23,016 Posts
Also Halfords will test the battery and tell you its OK according to their tester. So either way your screwed.
Worse than that, I can already see the conversation with some spotty little know-nothing irk "yer'see, mate, problem is you've got an EV, like, ain't yer. It uses electrons in a funny way. Battery is fine. Yerz needs special EV 12V electrons. Been doing this job for 20 years. EVs always been the same."

That being said, he'd probably have a point. They will sell you a battery for a cranking application in which it is wastefully float charged all the time.

...Take your pick, make your own luck....

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Since the battery does not experience cranking Amps a car battery is not the ideal choice for the LEAF. I submit that a Leisure battery would be closer to the role. When I bought one for my converted EV Seicento it cost £45 on ebay. The OEM uses a car battery because they buy millions for little money.

I suspect that the failures that we see with 12v batteries are a combination of deeper discharge than the battery was designed for and lack of cranking to blow the cobwebs away so to speak.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
My Leaf 12v battery has failed again and is out of warranty. It is over 3yrs old so should be replaced.

Just wondering what others are replacing theirs with. Is it the best price or are going for something of more quality/price. Since there is no cranking there is presumably less stress on it.

So far I have come up with this
B31 Varta Blue Dynamic Car Battery 12V 45Ah (545155033) (154)
This is what I would buy

12V 50AH SuperBatt LH50 Leisure Battery Caravan Campervan Marine Boat | eBay

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That's absolutely not what I'd be buying - it's well known in lead acid appreciation circles (yep, there are such things) that 'leisure batteries' are nothing more than re-badged and overpriced starter batteries.

Buy a proper vrla gel or agm...

·
Registered
955 Posts
What I don’t understand is why this seems to affect most EVs and hybrids. My Prius, Leaf and Tesla have all needed batteries prematurely. Why can the software be changed to charge the 12V more? This is clearly a known issue.

·
23,016 Posts
That's absolutely not what I'd be buying - it's well known in lead acid appreciation circles (yep, there are such things) that 'leisure batteries' are nothing more than re-badged and overpriced starter batteries.

Buy a proper vrla gel or agm...
Especially for Ampera, which has the battery within the passenger compartment, so no conventional wet cell batteries to go there.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Thanks Donald - food for thought there. I see that they supply a normal 12v battery.

I was testing the charging last night and the charge did not kick in till under 11.70v which seems very low to me. Wonder if this can be adjusted anywhere on the system.
At least with the older LEAFs, this is a "characteristic of the vehicle".

When the 12V battery gets poorly, the car becomes reluctant to charge it. I've watched this myself - car refusing to charge the original battery, switch off and parallel up a fresh one alongside the original, start the car again and it starts charging, disconnect the fresh one and charging continues...

...until next time it strands you.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
With replacement VRLA LEAD ACID batteries, best to check the car's DC DC voltage setting. Most will be too high for VRLA GEL but borderline OK for VRLA AGM. Apparently Optima yellow top AGM tolerate the higher voltages of most EVs. For my IMIEV clone, the higher voltage would only be a problem if the car was used often for very long trips (unlikely). Yuasa list the voltage ranges for their AGM, float and recharge, on their website, complete with temperature compensation. So far, REC22-12 AGM is proving a good reliable battery

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
About this Discussion
80 Replies
20 Participants
Orrery
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing