Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a tethered 2015 Rolec Charger at home with a Type 1 plug at the end of a 32A 10m cable (which I swapped from the 5m cable that it came with).

I’ve got a 62kWh Nissan Leaf on order to replace my 24kWh one and I’ll therefore need a Type 2 charger plug instead, so I’m just weighing up my options. Would appreciate any thoughts.

My partner has just taken delivery of a new Zoe and there’s an offer of a free BP Chargemaster home unit, which we could have installed to replace the Rolec. However the tethered unit only comes with a 4.7m cable and I need 10m to reach down the driveway. Chargemaster have said they won’t supply a different cable.

What is the Chargemaster EVSE like? Is it worth getting and then sourcing a 10m Type 2 cable myself? If I got the cable before the install do you think the installer would put the cable on for me?

Should I just stick my Rolec and put a new cable on that?

If I do get a new cable, will it come with crimped ends? (The one I got 4 years ago did)

What about Type 1 to Type 2 converters to go on the end? I’ve seen these for sale, but they seem more like temporary solutions.

Finally, I’m on Octopus Agile so we’ve been scheduling charging for the old Leaf manually up until now. Is there anything that would give me a better solution? Does the Chargemaster unit do this? (From what I know, I think it does).

Long post, but I’m genuine unsure what to do. A free charger seems like a good deal...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and why can’t an electrician just crimp a new Type 2 connector on the end?? Would save a lot of faff.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Oh, and why can’t an electrician just crimp a new Type 2 connector on the end?? Would save a lot of faff.
If it was mine, I would just purchase a new type two connector and fit that to the existing cable
EVBitz supply Type 2 Male Plug
A hydraulic crimper from ebay is about £30

regards

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If it was me I would get the new one installed ALONGside the old one and then just change the old lead from Type1 to Type2.
Make sure you go for a type 2 socket with the new one mind for future proofing...

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
We have two EVs and two Type 2 tethered chargers to make charging and parking easier and take advantage of cheap overnight electric - previously Octopus Go and now (for a bit) Agile. If you have space, I would recommend that option.

You could get the free Zoe Chargemaster as a second and if you specify Type 2 socket you could then buy a 10 meter single phase lead. A friend did exactly that due to short length of tethered option. A socket has no other benefit, it is NOT future proof because all future cars will be Type 2! I doubt Chargemaster would fit a 3rd party tethered cable due to liability issues.

With regard to existing charging point, the easiest option is to change cable and plug to Type 2. Changing just the plug is a bit harder but it would be a bit cheaper. I would only do that if the cable is still in excellent condition. You should be able to sell the old cable and plug on here or ebay.

If you only want one charging point, be aware that technically the OLEV grant doesn't allow a replacement charging point. A supplier doing so on the Zoe deal is being a bit cheeky as the cost is far less than fitting one from scratch!

We have been happy with both our charging points - one Chargemaster and one Podpoint.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sell the Rolec and get £100 for it. Get any electrician to extend the 32A circuit to within 5metres of where you park your car, then fit a 32A interlocked commando socket. Buy the OHME smart cable from Octopus for £199(commando plug version). Plug it in and enjoy being able to set it to charge whenever Agile rates drop below 5p/kWh. No messing around with schedules and both cars can use the same unit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’d never even considered having two chargers. If the house can support it, then that would make sense.

As I already had an OLEV grant in 2015 I presume I can’t have another one.

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
I’d never even considered having two chargers. If the house can support it, then that would make sense.

As I already had an OLEV grant in 2015 I presume I can’t have another one.
Yes, providing you own two plug-in cars you can get two OLEV grants. We got our second grant when we got the B Class on lease for 7 months (minimum is 6 months to qualify).

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Sell the Rolec and get £100 for it. Get any electrician to extend the 32A circuit to within 5metres of where you park your car, then fit a 32A interlocked commando socket. Buy the OHME smart cable from Octopus for £199(commando plug version). Plug it in and enjoy being able to set it to charge whenever Agile rates drop below 5p/kWh. No messing around with schedules and both cars can use the same unit.
I looked at that option but decided to replace my Type 1 with discounted (old stock) Podpoint that my sparky swapped over for me.

Inside a garage the OHME is a great solution but we weren't keen on aesthetics of the commando and OHME cable where it would go on our house. There was also issue of securing the OHME unit from theft (when not connected to car) as we wouldn't want to be unplugging it every time.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,979 Posts
If it was mine, I would just purchase a new type two connector and fit that to the existing cable
EVBitz supply Type 2 Male Plug
A hydraulic crimper from ebay is about £30

regards
This is for lugs.

Not this one, for 6mm^2 you should get bootlace ferrules and the tool to go with that.

'like' this one, shop around.

There will be screw terminal blocks in your evse box, not bolts for lugs. (Well, at least I don't think so?)

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
This is for lugs.

Not this one, for 6mm^2 you should get bootlace ferrules and the tool to go with that.

There will be screw terminal blocks in your evse box, not bolts for lugs. (Well, at least I don't think so?)
The hydraulic crimper is for the internal terminals inside the type 2 connector ( because I suggested keeping existing cable).

The while job beginning to end would take an hour, no mucking around making appointments, selling old tat on eBay and other fruitless activities.

The Existing Rolec has the huge advantage of being easily repairable by any spark and doesn't rely on flaky apps to function....just keep it.
X

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
This is for lugs.

Forget playing inside the EVSE, just change the connector and stop making it too complicated for the OP.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,979 Posts
OK, yes I agree, last comment withdrawn, you need a good crimper if you want to do it that way (I'd recommend the ones with the double arms, the jaws on these tend to flex open).

But it is much easier to buy pre-crimpled leads with the plug attached. If you cut the plug off the end of the cable of your existing lead then you've just wasted any value of that plug. If you don't then where do you get the cable from. I think it is really not so difficult opening up the charge point and wiring in a fresh cable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it is really not so difficult opening up the charge point and wiring in a fresh cable.
This is what I did when I replaced my 5m cable with a 10m one. No harder than wiring a three pin plug really.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This sounds like it might be the way to go. Might see if there are any U
YouTube videos showing it being done.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
There's a lot of lazy people on the forum, or perhaps they lack manual dexterity to be able to hydraulically crimp correctly the type 2 pins.

If the OP wants an alternative, EvBitz offer cable repairs and I'm sure they would remove the type 1 and replace with a type 2, mail service.

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Evbitz show how to connect up a replacement tethered cable for most charging points. Scroll down on page linked below. You will be able to sell the tethered cables you remove from the unit, even Type 1 sell as people do need replacements due to damage, wear, etc..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts