Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, looking for some advice. I had a free 16A 3Kw charger installed over 5 years ago for free by British Gas/Nissan when I purchased my old leaf (which I no longer have).

I've now ordered a new Ioniq so looking to replace it with a 7Kw untethered install..... but if i read the rules correctly i'm not eligible for another OLEV grant as I don't have the 2 cars at the same time? Doh!
Pics of my current install, short cable run from CU on the other side of the wall. Cable says (BS6004 6242Y 2x2.5+1.5) and has a seperate mini unit inside my meter cabinet. Would all of this need replacing as well as the charge unit if I want 7Kw?

Thoughts/help/advice much appreciated :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Cable says (BS6004 6242Y 2x2.5+1.5) and has a seperate mini unit inside my meter cabinet.
Cable is 2.5mm2, which is only good for up to 20A. If you want to go for 7kW charging you will need at least 4mm2 and preferably 6mm2, and at least the 20A MCB (the right hand unit in your mini box) will need replacing (and possibly an MCB in your consumer unit on the other side of the wall.

Changes in wiring regulations since your current charging point was installed will require your new charging point to be provided with its own independent earth spike and not be connected to the main house earthing system, which may be difficult if you have a tarmac drive.

I don't know about OLEV regulations, but as you have had the old unit for over 3 years I believe you are entitled to have removed it as you have got rid of your Leaf, and presumably can start again as a new EV customer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the reply. So I either get a new tethered type 2 cable and stick with 3kw or rip it all out and start again for faster 7kw charging. Hmmm!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
As Dave said, the way it is currently wired doesn't comply with the current regulations, and is not suitable for more than 20 Amps. I agree with Dave also that your current install was done under a previous scheme and OLEV are unlikely to link to your claim for that.
Your new installation will be much simpler than the previous. I suggest that you bite the bullet and fit a new 7 kW untethered unit to maximise the charging on your new car. The chargemaster units don't always last so it would be an opportunity to replace it anyway.
Are you looking for smart features on your unit to take advantage of time of use tariffs such a Octopus Go or Agile? If so, consider the Ohme unit possibly on a Level 2 basis via a "commando" plug rather than the Level 3 basis if not claiming the OLEV grant again to keep the costs down.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,384 Posts
My original installation was in August 2013 and I replaced it in September 2019. I qualified for the OLEV grant again as there was no record of my property address for the current scheme (Domestic Recharging Scheme – DRS), my previous installation must have been on an old scheme. I checked with OLEV by email to [email protected] about it, email was sent on Friday 20th September at 11:19 and received a reply on Monday 23rd September at 08:02 so a very quick turnaround for me.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
It is up to you to decide if you want to try and claim another grant, but the words on the form you will sign are as below

To my knowledge, a grant has not previously been claimed at this property under the Domestic Recharging Scheme (which ran from February 2013 to August 2014) or EVHS.

Source: Customer guidance: Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme

To charge Zoe my spark got a good deal on an old stock Podpoint 7kW Type 2 to replace my Chargemaster 3.3kW Type 1. My cabling was also 2.5mm so he upgraded MCB to 20A and set the Podpoint to 3.7kW. We did discuss replacing the cabling, but it is OK as we don't do many miles a day in the Zoe and can use the Model 3 7kW charging point if necessary. We will probably take the Podpoint with us when we move in a year or two.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Thanks very much for the reply. So I either get a new tethered type 2 cable and stick with 3kw or rip it all out and start again for faster 7kw charging. Hmmm!
How many miles do you do each and every day? Would 3.3kW overnight be sufficient, or are you looking at possible home top-ups during the day? 3.3kW x 7 hours (E7 hours) x 3.5 miles/kWh = 80 miles per day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many miles do you do each and every day? Would 3.3kW overnight be sufficient, or are you looking at possible home top-ups during the day? 3.3kW x 7 hours (E7 hours) x 3.5 miles/kWh = 80 miles per day.
Yeah good point, we could probably scrape by with the 3Kw (after spending £100ish on a new cable) but if i can get the grant again i'd rather spend another couple of hundred and be setup for years to come.... I've emailed the address above to see if i still qualify, thanks all!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the OLEV people emailed back very quickly but they unfortunately state i'm not eligable as i've claimed before. Rubbish!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Pity. Unless your partner goes by a different surname and you are willing to put the car in their name it looks like the grant is out.
Your new installation will be much simpler than the previous. I suggest that you bite the bullet and fit a new 7 kW untethered unit to maximise the charging on your new car. The chargemaster units don't always last so it would be an opportunity to replace it anyway.
Are you looking for smart features on your unit to take advantage of time of use tariffs such a Octopus Go or Agile? If so, consider the Ohme unit possibly on a Level 2 basis via a "commando" plug rather than the Level 3 basis if not claiming the OLEV grant again to keep the costs down.
I'll reiterate the above. You should be able to fit an Ohme unit inside your meter box and keep everything very neat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Married with the same surname so no go there either. Thanks i'll look into the Ohme solution.
Any idea how much it would cost to get a 32A commando socket fitted?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Should be about £100 - £150 depending on the labour rate - you need a new MCD (40 Amp rather than 20), the existing cable removing and wiring directly with 4mm^2, an earth rod and ideally an Interlocked socket like this:

If you join Octopus then you not just get a good rate but money off the Ohme unit.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I don't think the earth rod is required for anything other than a fixed EV charge point.
Probably a good idea, but if it's going to be a problem it could be omitted.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
Unless your partner goes by a different surname and you are willing to put the car in their name it looks like the grant is out.
The grant is per property not person. See post 6 and form.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
Bear in mind that if your Type 1 charging point still works you can get money for it on ebay. I sold mine for over £100 which paid towards the Type 2 Podpoint.

I am with Octopus and might have gone for the Ohme deal except it would have been outside in a visible location. It and a commando socket (Interlocked is mandatory for domestic) would not have passed the "aesthetics committee". The Podpoint was given a reluctant OK ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bear in mind that if your Type 1 charging point still works you can get money for it on ebay. I sold mine for over £100 which paid towards the Type 2 Podpoint.

I am with Octopus and might have gone for the Ohme deal except it would have been outside in a visible location. It and a commando socket (Interlocked is mandatory for domestic) would not have passed the "aesthetics committee". The Podpoint was given a reluctant OK ;)
Just confirming that my 'British Gas' charger packed up jusy out of guarentee and allthe suppliers were interested in was selling me another one.
I sold my Prius and gave the faulty unit away to the buyer in case he could repair it.

I then bought a Zappi 2 charger for my leaf and as it was a new car, and I had no charger, the installer thought I would get a grant. Everything went through until a week later when OLEV asked if I still had the Prius (which I'd sold). So I had to pay the entire amount for the new charger even though it was a new car. Had I kept the Prius, and bought the LEAF - I would have qualified for another grant.

Who writes these criteria? I've already had to return funds for a solar thermal system which is recognised to be the most efficient on the market in an Ecohouse and the (nuclear engineer) who came to inspect it said it didn't fit the criteria!

Enough said!
Mark

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just confirming that my 'British Gas' charger packed up jusy out of guarentee and allthe suppliers were interested in was selling me another one.
I sold my Prius and gave the faulty unit away to the buyer in case he could repair it.

I then bought a Zappi 2 charger for my leaf and as it was a new car, and I had no charger, the installer thought I would get a grant. Everything went through until a week later when OLEV asked if I still had the Prius (which I'd sold). So I had to pay the entire amount for the new charger even though it was a new car. Had I kept the Prius, and bought the LEAF - I would have qualified for another grant.

Who writes these criteria? I've already had to return funds for a solar thermal system which is recognised to be the most efficient on the market in an Ecohouse and the (nuclear engineer) who came to inspect it said it didn't fit the criteria!

Enough said!
Mark
Like all offers, the devil is in the detail. These grants have pretty decent documentation available on line that make it fairly unambiguous, and this is certainly true if the OLEV grant. After that it’s simple - follow the criteria and you get the grant, otherwise you don’t. Whether it’s fair or sensible is another argument completely though!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just another option- I was in the same position and decided that 3.3kw waxx SCC enough for my new Leaf. So bought an adapter type 1 to type 2. Less hassle and seems to work fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Like all offers, the devil is in the detail. These grants have pretty decent documentation available on line that make it fairly unambiguous, and this is certainly true if the OLEV grant. After that it’s simple - follow the criteria and you get the grant, otherwise you don’t. Whether it’s fair or sensible is another argument completely though!
So the restriction is one grant per owner/vehicle and one grant per property.

So if I move house, I sell my car to my wife and she claim again on a new grant - so we get 2 installs for the same vehicle.

If I move into a house where the previous owner installed a charge-point which is now faulty or removed, and then buy an EV, I can't get a grant.

So one of the questions when I buy a new house is have you ever claimed an OLEV grant, If so knock £500 off the price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts