Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

Has anyone else had to replace their on-board charger in a 2012 leaf?

I'm told I have too because when I was trying to charge using DC faster charger I was getting a communication error

Part Number. DTC
296A0-3NA1E B29C1
U100B

Took the Nissan dealership 16hrs to determine that. Now not sure the know what they are doing. And quoting it will cost 4hrs of labour to replace it.

Wondering if DC vs AC on-board charges are two seperate or one device

Interested to other thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Just to clarify -
This was on a DC rapid charger using the CHAdeMO rapid charge connector (the big one on the left in the front of the car) and not the smaller AC fast charge (type 1) port on the right in the front of the car?

Was this on every charge point you connected to, or just one?
Can you charge OK from your home charge point/3-pin EVSE (granny cable)?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yes, this happened to me. My 2011 Leaf (purchased 3 years ago) wouldn't rapid charge using DC chademo. Worked perfectly using the AC type 1 socket. Multiple rapid chargers were tried, but just got an initialisation error.

Nissan dealer (after a bit of head scratching) were told by Nissan to replace the on-board charger. This confused me as it wasn't the AC charger at fault. However the on-board charger must be partially used for DC charging (maybe signalling with the rapid) as once replaced DC charging worked perfectly.

Thankfully this was all done under the 5 year high voltage warranty, so I don't know how much it would have cost.

One way to potentially reduce cost would be to contact @Mike Schooling and see if he has a pre-loved charger on the shelf he can fit for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to clarify -
This was on a DC rapid charger using the CHAdeMO rapid charge connector (the big one on the left in the front of the car) and not the smaller AC fast charge (type 1) port on the right in the front of the car?

Was this on every charge point you connected to, or just one?
Can you charge OK from your home charge point/3-pin EVSE (granny cable)?

----------------

Yes, correct this issue is with CHAdeMO port on the left. (The DC charger).

The AC port is charging the car fine. So enables us to use the car still.

We have tried to charging using the DC at three seperate locations. All have failed with same message of unable to communicate.

So there don't understand why on-board charge needs replacement. As I thought it charged the batteries directly.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The CHAdeMO does indeed charge the batteries directly, however as has been mentioned by Roger there is some communication between the car and the charge point so they can negotiate a charge rate and check everything is ok. This must be a circuit in the onboard charger.
Yep. Casting my mind back three years I have a vague recollection the dealer said the replacement charger was a couple of grand, which made me glad I didn't have to pay for it, being under warranty. The gen 1 (2011\2012) leaf charger is in the boot, whereas in the gen 2 it was moved to under the bonnet, so it's a gen 1 specific part. They had to dismantle most of the rear trim to be able to replace it, there was quite a bit of labour too.

The bottom line is can you live without DC rapid charging? If so I wouldn't worry about fixing it. If you need it fixed be prepared for it to cost a couple of grand. @Mike Schooling may be able to reduce the cost by using a secondhand charger. He would be the first person I would contact.

Otherwise you could sell it and buy another car, advising them that the DC port doesn't work. Most people just charge at home so have no use for the DC port.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts