Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the battery in my 2016 KIA Soul EV replaced in Dec. 2019 and after my first overnight charge on my wall charger it showed a range 105 miles. I was very pleased. However, over the next 3-4 weeks the range has dropped each morning to where I am now getting a range of 83 miles (100%) charge. When I get to work (59 miles one-way) I put my Soul EV in the charging station. This morning I pulled in with 29 miles of range left (according to the dash). After 3 hours my phone said that the vehicle had charged 61 miles, so I should have 90 miles, right? NO. I had only 83 miles of range. Now that's enough to get me home tonight, but I know come tomorrow morning the range will show 81-82 miles at 100%. This is all happening on a "new" battery paid for and replaced by KIA. I'm taking it back in for service this Friday. Anyone else experience this rate of degradation?

bkickie

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Does that prediction not just base the number on how you drove the car over the last few miles? I don't think it works like you think.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
It's winter. If it's a 27kwh then 80 miles is normal. Do you pre heat twice a day while it's plugged in? That helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does that prediction not just base the number on how you drove the car over the last few miles? I don't think it works like you think.
I drive in bumper to bumper 70% of the time in the afternoon and probably 35-40% in the morning. I'm not talking about losing range while I'm driving, the range is dropping every day after charging overnight, or about 3.4 hours before auto shut-off. The car is parked in my driveway and plugged into the wall charger. Every morning I get in to go to work the dash shows the battery at 100% but the range is lower each and every day. Ever since the battery was replaced.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Pre-heat??? I live in So Cal where it's 65-75 degrees this time of year.
Sorry. Didn't notice the flag. Assumed you were in the U.K.

If it's still degrading then it would suggest the charge controller is broken and it's ruining the battery.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Could it be that when the new battery was fitted everything was reset with the on board computer. The 105 miles being some kind of default. Then as you are driving it this last month the GOM is adjusting to your daily drive and getting more accurate? Of course you’d see the average miles per kWh dropping too on the trip computer if this was the case. I’d work on resetting the trip and seeing how many miles you are getting to a charge. The GOM is normally on the low side anyway so you may find 85 on the GOM is 95 miles in reality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the battery in my 2016 KIA Soul EV replaced in Dec. 2019 and after my first overnight charge on my wall charger it showed a range 105 miles. I was very pleased. However, over the next 3-4 weeks the range has dropped each morning to where I am now getting a range of 83 miles (100%) charge. When I get to work (59 miles one-way) I put my Soul EV in the charging station. This morning I pulled in with 29 miles of range left (according to the dash). After 3 hours my phone said that the vehicle had charged 61 miles, so I should have 90 miles, right? NO. I had only 83 miles of range. Now that's enough to get me home tonight, but I know come tomorrow morning the range will show 81-82 miles at 100%. This is all happening on a "new" battery paid for and replaced by KIA. I'm taking it back in for service this Friday. Anyone else experience this rate of degradation?

bkickie
I have a 2016 Soul EV and I'm concerned about the range which is diminishing noticeably over the year that I've had it. May I ask what lead to your battery being replaced and how you were able to get Kia to do it under warranty?

Many thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts