Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear from various sources about getting a replacement battery for a Leaf, and how prices are continually falling, but when I try to find an actual source I draw a blank. Can anyone advise exactly who can supply/fit a replacement battery (apart from Nissan)

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
The obvious answer is Muxsan but they are in the Hague, Netherlands. Emile is very helpful and knowledgeable.

Otherwise there are various HEVRA garages that could do it, but it would be a matter of asking. Nissan do not sell replacement batteries at anything approaching a sensible price so all of the options are for good secondhand ones, often out of breakers.

The question though has to be why do you want to do it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
The truth right now is that a replacement EV battery pack costs a fortune. It's better financially to break the EV for spares. If you want to get the cells changed, try a main dealer first. For Nissans, the Dutch company previously mentioned sound experienced enough.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Given the lack of response from the OP this is probably trolling. To which I ask, for how much and where can you get a replacement engine and emissions system for a 5YO BMW from?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Given the lack of response from the OP this is probably trolling. To which I ask, for how much and where can you get a replacement engine and emissions system for a 5YO BMW from?
It was only yesterday, quite possibly they don’t have an expectation that someone will jump straight no an answer the question, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I have an 8 year old BMW, replacing the engine or drivetrain in that would result i it heading off to the breakers yard too. However I often see batteries for Leaf on Ebay, my assumption is that the battery swap on a Leaf would be a much more straightforward undertaking that and engine/gearbox for an ICE.

went and had a look and much more amusingly found this which I am sure will affect wheel balancing and not in a good way!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
is that the battery swap on a Leaf would be a much more straightforward undertaking that and engine/gearbox for an ICE.
The issues on an engine swap are similar to but more complicated than a battery swap, and the amount of hardware needing changing is considerably more. Most DIY ICE changes are akin to the "brute force" approach adopted early on where the battery casing was opened up and just the modules changed, and only dealers get the option to reprogram the ECUs in a similar way to the NZ approach. The approach by Emile @ Muxsan is more advanced still and I'm not aware of people doing that in the ICE world.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
That is my point, in principle the purchase of a 30kW Leaf battery and swap into a 24kWh car should be for the most part plug and play. Over simplifying entirely but to go back to the bmw analogy, swapping out my 4 pot 528i engine for a 6 pot might present a few issues.

I understood the form of the casing had not changed, and remembered seeing a complete battery unit for sale on eBay a while back, hence the idea. However also from memory Nissan we’re offering replacement refurbished batteries in Japan for about £2000 about 90% of the original costing for a pack. I don’t know if that ever came to anything, but it would be a shame to see so many older cars which are limited to being shopping cars, by an unusable range. For what in principle should be a relatively straightforward piece of work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts